VPN Primer for Noobs

What VPN Solution are you using?

• Total voters

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
unfortunately i have googled and saw the complaints (and no solution) - am still trying to find out if someone found a workaround. +1 more instance on the complaint.

about OpenVPN - imported the .ovpn file and i assume the act of doing so applied it to my setting... i see my hostname automatically pr-epopulated correctly. router is AC5300 if that matters (dont think it does)
That's the tradeoff with cheaper wireless, I guess. Pay less & looks like you get less. Judging from the hordes of angry users still up in arms about it, I'm guessing nobody has found a workaround. About the only thing that I can think of -and it's a sh*tty option - is to configure OpenVPN to use a common port that ST does allow.

If you got the config file imported (OpenVPN / Menu / Import Profile from [wherever you stored it]) and it's greyed out - won't let you select that imported profile, my money is on the config file being faulty in some way - which means going back to the server and rechecking your work there.

Reaction score
Ok thanks. that is why I mentioned router... Config is straight from their generated file.

problem with openvpn way is i cant get far enough to play with the ST ports as something is wrong with the 'simple' import

Last edited:

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
your camera is a full blown computer running Linux; they just have to load there own malware onto it and off they go..
Thanks, Nayr. So, how would one determine if their cameras were hacked and infected with malware? I imagine that it might be tough to tell, if you are running a Gigabit LAN with high-speed Internet connection?

e007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, Nayr. So, how would one determine if their cameras were hacked and infected with malware? I imagine that it might be tough to tell, if you are running a Gigabit LAN with high-speed Internet connection?
I think most of the Internet providers have some type of a firewall.

Usually they disable internet access and send a warning, because operators don't want to be origin of attacks.

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to look at your traffic logs from either your router or managed or smart switch.

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think most of the Internet providers have some type of a firewall.
Usually they disable internet access and send a warning, because operators don't want to be origin of attacks.
Well, I'm glad I haven't heard from my ISP, then :).

You need to look at your traffic logs from either your router or managed or smart switch.
Thanks. Unfortunately, my router doesn't not log such info. Considering the ASUS BRT-AC828 when it becomes available (already shipping overseas). Does this seem like a good choice?

ASUS Announces BRT-AC828

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally got my hands on a Asus88U

Set up OpenVPN on the router without much drama and decided connect and test with iPad.

Ipad connects to vpn and shows connected on iPad OpenVPN app and also on Asus Router. All good...... I thought......

Issue is that I cannot access any of my local clients
e.g. NAS drives, NVR, cameras on my LAN

my LAN subnet is 192.168.2.

So close but no cigar yet !!
I'm hoping it's a noob mistake that someone can spot easily

A few screen shots of my config

Attachments

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Finally got my hands on a Asus88U

Set up OpenVPN on the router without much drama and decided connect and test with iPad.

Ipad connects to vpn and shows connected on iPad OpenVPN app and also on Asus Router. All good...... I thought......

Issue is that I cannot access any of my local clients
e.g. NAS drives, NVR, cameras on my LAN

my LAN subnet is 192.168.2.

So close but no cigar yet !!
I'm hoping it's a noob mistake that someone can spot easily

A few screen shots of my config
Check your firewall rules to ensure that traffic is allowed between those two subnets (in both directions). Often the default is to treat a VPN subnet like a sandbox, and if that's the case, unless you explicitly allow the traffic nothing will ever talk to each other.

Also consider changing that OpenVPN port. It's standard / the default one, which means that hackers will include it in their portscans.

Last edited:

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are some instructions I wrote up
Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router

There are some router settings missing from the asus page that I needed to do to get it to work.
Also the Asus page doesn't discuss DDNS, which you should set up before VPN. Its in the instructions.

Randy
Followed this sticky kindly created by Randy but no mention of changing firewall rules?
All other docs I read had no mention of changing firewall rules ?

Read all they way through the thread again and maybe 443 is the reason I didn't read any firewall rules being set.

Last edited:

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay now tried TCP443 but still no connection to my NAS or any clients or shares within my LAN when connected from WAN OpenVPN.

Another screen shot of my connection all the edited with red Ip are the same.
Is there suppose to be a value in the client ip ?

Attachments

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with OpenVPN on the Asus, but on my Synology NAS my OpenVPN has the following option.

'Allow clients to access servers LAN'

Do you have that option and how is it set?

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay now tried TCP443 but still no connection to my NAS or any clients or shares within my LAN when connected from WAN OpenVPN.

You want to avoid any of the commonly used ports. 443 is standard https. Pick something way up in the 40,000s IMO. Something odd that isn't used by anything else.

Again, check your firewall rules. If possible, post a screenshot of that page.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I don't think I had to change any firewall rules on my Asus to get this working.

When I open a connection from my iPhone, I see my ASUS DDNS address in the format "MyDDNSName.asuscomm.com" under server, and some random IP address for the server IP.
Did you setup Asus DDNS?

Did you look at the OpenVPN log file on the iPhone?
Mine says something like
Date Time EVENT: CONNECTED username@MyDDNSName.asuscomm.com:port(Some IP Addrs) via /UDPv4 on tun/10.8.x.x/...

I'm assuming what you are trying to do with OpenVPN you can do at home, when directly on your network. VPN just makes your iPhone think its at home, on your wifi network.

Randy

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah it's all connected Randy all exactly as above but can't access any of my LAN clients as I can when physically on my LAN.

When I log onto the router from a client within the LAN & can see the client connected (ipad) on the OpenVPN server.

Router is a Asus DSL-AC88U if anyone had same issue resolved.

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with OpenVPN on the Asus, but on my Synology NAS my OpenVPN has the following option.

'Allow clients to access servers LAN'

Do you have that option and how is it set?
That sounds like the issue but no such option on the Asus OpenVPN, well not worded as simple as that

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the Asus router has a free VPN setup but people are using OpenVPN on their Asus routers.
Why - because it is better?
And I believe OpenVPN costs money, correct?

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Asus router has OpenVPN server as standard, all is explained by nayr on the very first post

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried a windows tab tonight but exact same result! :banghead:

I can see on the Asus OpenVPN screen that both iPad & windows tablets are connected but neither can browse the LAN when connected from external ip to the OpenVPN. Openvpn shows the connected client on 10.8.0.2 and my Lan is on 192.168.2.x but can't access any of the nodes I can access when physically on my LAN.

Screenshot from Windows tab log after logging onto Asus OpenVPN

Hope someone can help out as I'm out of ideas now and going round in circles :smash:

Attachments

Last edited: