VPN Primer for Noobs

What VPN Solution are you using?

• Total voters
Reaction score
My android only allows the always on VPN for PPTP or L2TP/IPSec, not for openvpn.

Since my NAS and Linux has OpenVPN built in and from what I've read, OpenVPN seems to be top dog that's what I went with and it is working great so far. They have on/off buttons I've got on my home screen that offer one touch connect/disconnect that also works very well.
Ah, I'm not using openVPN, I use my router's built-in VPN is IPSec/L2TP/PPTP.

I'll keep that app in mind if/when I replace my router with one that supports openVPN like my old one(I replaced because it didn't support VLANs)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was unable to get any of the iOS VPN options to connect so moved to OpenVPN.
With iOS I use app 'OpenVPN Connect' to access through my firewall into my network. Once I have a connection I open iVMS-4500.

Some wifi networks I use are locked down so that OpenVPN Connect will not get an IP.
I have never had a problem getting an IP via cell but my data plan keeps me from using this more than just a quick check.

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I really want to get a VPN setup on my home network because I value security however after researching for a few hours I have learned that my current router (Linksys E4200 V2) does not support DD-WRT. This was a bummer to learn and has put me back at the starting line.

I am now thinking that I should get a new router with a VPN server already built in but I have no idea which one I should look at? What set up do you guys have (who already have a router with VPN server built in).

I know Nayr says to look at Asus which I am doing... I would like some guidance on specific models that are reliable and fast.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have an always on computer or want to buy a raspberry pi you could set either one up as a VPN server. There's lots of other things you could do with the pi as well.

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
has anyone used ASUS RT-N12/D1 ?
im looking for something cheap the wireless will be disabled
and upload speed wont matter much crappy dsl speeds

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it dont say anything about OpenVPN In specs, and it should.. mebe with a WRT Firmware, but that can be quite the challenge.

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
yeah i saw that maybe ill go up a model
was looking to keep it stupid simple

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I really want to get a VPN setup on my home network because I value security however after researching for a few hours I have learned that my current router (Linksys E4200 V2) does not support DD-WRT. This was a bummer to learn and has put me back at the starting line.

I am now thinking that I should get a new router with a VPN server already built in but I have no idea which one I should look at? What set up do you guys have (who already have a router with VPN server built in).

I know Nayr says to look at Asus which I am doing... I would like some guidance on specific models that are reliable and fast.
I recommend the ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 as a decent balance of cost and future proof capacity. it is trivial to set up OpenVPN server on it and generate the client unified files.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have speedport sh..t router and cant set vpn on it ,what are my options ? because of lot of lighting strikes internet provider changing me few routers per year ,is there any other option for me instead buying few expensive routers per year ,as i would like to see my 5 -5231 turrets online from remote location ??:mad:

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have speedport sh..t router and cant set vpn on it ,what are my options ? because of lot of lighting strikes internet provider changing me few routers per year ,is there any other option for me instead buying few expensive routers per year ,as i would like to see my 5 -5231 turrets online from remote location ??:mad:
Heve a device to run your VPN server internal to your network.

I personally use a Synology NAS, but that's because I already had it and could use the server on it.

A Raspberry PI should do the job just as well.

Are you running BI? If so you could use the always on PC for it.

Paul

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx mrralphman and cryptelli... i have a nvr 5216 16p ks2 ...i will look into it "device to run VPN server internal to network" here every pc is connected directly to tax office and every bill i make is going directly to tax office and i cant mess this with router :):eek: otherwise they will fine me a lot .. ill look into pivpn project also.. big thx guys !!

Moose

n3wb
Reaction score
A Raspberry PI should do the job just as well.
So if I create a vpn on a RPI I would then connect each device and this would allow for secured remote viewing through BI running on my desktop?

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So if I create a vpn on a RPI I would then connect each device and this would allow for secured remote viewing through BI running on my desktop?
Yes, you'd port forward the VPN traffic to the PI and when you connect your device is presented on your network and you connect to BI using your normal connection details you'd use at home.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is this good router for open vpn ? Asus RT-N18U
VPN server : IPSec Pass-Through, PPTP Pass-Through, L2TP Pass-Through, PPTP Server, OpenVPN Server
VPN client : PPTP client, L2TP client, OpenVPN client

RT-N18U | Networking | ASUS Global

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
is this good router for open vpn ? Asus RT-N18U
VPN server : IPSec Pass-Through, PPTP Pass-Through, L2TP Pass-Through, PPTP Server, OpenVPN Server
VPN client : PPTP client, L2TP client, OpenVPN client

RT-N18U | Networking | ASUS Global
Looks like it runs similar firmware to the higher end models, so it should do openVPN fine.

Should be a nice router, if you can get it for a good price. Otherwise the tmobile version of the RT-AC68U can be found pretty cheap.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx randytsuch ..Here the price for RT-N18U +-$70 and RT-AC68U is +-190$

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's a nice Asus smartphone app here that allows you to access router settings, e.g., you can block internet access for specific I.P.'s.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
big thx all, been looking router for 3 days :eek::D