VPN Problems via ASUS Router

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
No other way to power the camera than with the switch. I'll give another camera a shot in a bit and report back. Desktop is using static IP.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Is the desktop wired? Plugged into the switch or into the Asus?

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
have you reset cam to defaults and reconfigured or switched it to dhcp and tried to connect to that address or just changed the IP of the cam? all sorts of old demons or innocent changes can create this scenario

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, following jhoops summary above:

You can connect to the VPN.

You can connect to the Zyxel managed switch inside your network with a 192.168.x.x address.

You can connect to a non-POE device (printer) with the same 192.168.x.x subnet addressing on that same switch.

So we know that the VPN is OK and that the routing between your remote and local devices through the VPN all is working properly at a basic level and you *should* then be able to get to any other IP address within that same subnet (assuming no other restrictions exist).

But...

You can't get to a POE-powered device (camera) within that same 192.168.x.x subnet from the VPN but can when connected locally from the same device?

Assuming that's correct, do you have any way to power the camera other than the switch? Alternately, do you have another camera/other POE device that you can try? Wondering if there's some restriction that the switch is imposing on the POE port side or maybe by address range. Is your desktop using a DHCP or static address?
Tried a different camera, same issue.

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
have you reset cam to defaults and reconfigured or switched it to dhcp and tried to connect to that address or just changed the IP of the cam? all sorts of old demons or innocent changes can create this scenario
The only changes I have made from factory settings is set a static IP and change default gateway. I'll try dhcp and see what happens.

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only changes I have made from factory settings is set a static IP and change default gateway. I'll try dhcp and see what happens.

Using DHCP setting and connecting to new IP doesn't work on VPN either.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Tried a different camera, same issue.

So probably not the cam. Still could be I suppose based on some common aspect between them, but I'd look elsewhere for now.

Can you try the printer again plugged into the same switch port(s) that you had the cam(s) on? I'm assuming that you tried the two cams on different ports. If not, then try one of the cams on a different POE port just to eliminate something funky what that specific port.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hard reset the router...start fresh...post images of your settings

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So probably not the cam. Still could be I suppose based on some common aspect between them, but I'd look elsewhere for now.

Can you try the printer again plugged into the same switch port(s) that you had the cam(s) on? I'm assuming that you tried the two cams on different ports.
Printer was on the same port as the cams. And yes, also tried cams in different ports.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Printer was on the same port as the cams. And yes, also tried cams in different ports.

The app that you used to do the trace route. Does it have a ping function?

If not should be able to find one quickly just to confirm whether you're not able to get to the IP at all or only not to the browser interface of the cam.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Your set up for the Asus looks the same as mine.

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The app that you used to do the trace route. Does it have a ping function?

If not should be able to find one quickly just to confirm whether you're not able to get to the IP at all or only not to the browser interface of the cam.
Tried pinging also, all I get is "Connection timeout 100% packet loss".

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Tried pinging also, all I get is "Connection timeout 100% packet loss".
That really doesn't make a lot of sense. lol

If you can get to one IP on the same subnet on the same port on the same switch with a simple device like a printer then you should be able to get to the IP of another simple device all on the same at least at the level of a simple ping. Bunch of things that could go either way in getting to that point but once you're there that should be the case.

Is the printer using a DHCP or static address? Can you temporarily change the IP of the printer to match the IP that you're using for the cam and plug it into the same port and try to ping or otherwise access it? (Obviously not with the cam with the same IP connected at the same time.)

Last edited:

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That really doesn't make a lot of sense. lol

If you can get to one IP on the same subnet on the same port on the same switch with a simple device like a printer then you should be able to get to the IP of another simple device all on the same at least at the level of a simple ping. Bunch of things that could go either way in getting to that point but once you're there that should be the case.

Is the printer using a DHCP or static address? Can you temporarily change the IP of the printer to match the IP that you're using for the cam and plug it into the same port and try to ping or otherwise access it? (Obviously not with the cam with the same IP connected at the same time.)
Printer was DHCP. Assigned it the IP of the cam and can connect to it fine on the VPN.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Printer was DHCP. Assigned it the IP of the cam and can connect to it fine on the VPN.
In the Asus, do you have it set to block Internet access for the camera? If so, turn that off temporarily. I'm betting that does it. If not, I give up. lol

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the Asus, do you have it set to block Internet access for the camera? If so, turn that off temporarily. I'm betting that does it. If not, I give up. lol
:smash: That seems to have been the issue. Just got in via VPN. How I can I block the cams from accessing the internet and still be able to access via VPN?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You may also want to try setting direct clients to redirect internet traffic to NO and see what happens.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
:smash: That seems to have been the issue. Just got in via VPN. How I can I block the cams from accessing the internet and still be able to access via VPN?
I should have thought of that before. It would seem like it should permit access since you have what appears to be a local IP but it doesn't since it's actually being routed internally by the VPN on the Asus.

I don't think that you can access them with that switched on. I just leave it set to block and then jump over to the Asus and switch it off for a minute in the rare case that I have to get to the cam directly via VPN. Which really hasn't been a problem since it's been so rare that I've needed to. But I'm using BI which does have access and handles all of the cams behind it.

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I should have thought of that before. It would seem like it should permit access since you have what appears to be a local IP but it doesn't since it's actually being routed internally by the VPN.

I don't think that you can access them with that switched on in the Asus. I just leave it set to block and then jump over to the Asus and switch it off for a minute in the rare case that I have to get to the cam directly via VPN. Which really hasn't been a problem since it's been so rare that I've needed to.
That's actually a workaround I'm willing to deal with. Glad I got this figured out, thanks a ton guys. Couldn't have done it otherwise.