VTH1550CH - How to flash or reset device?

Duvel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently succeeded in updating my VTO2000A to the latest software (v4). After a lot of trouble to get the VTO flashed using the TFTP method explained in another post, I am now confronted with a black VTH1550CH device.... Grumbl...

When I plug-in a PoE cable connected to my VTNS1060A switch, I notice that the device powers up, and in Wireshark I can also see two entries showing up from IP address 192.168.1.108. showing

- the upgrate_info_7db780a713a4.txt file
- the failed.txt message

I use the Dahua_TFTPBackup toolset just like I did to unbrick my VTO200A. See Dahua IPC EASY unbricking / recovery over TFTP

So in the root folder, I have all files I need to flash this VTH device, I start the TFTP Server etc. but don't get it to flash anything. When pinging the IP shown in Wireshark, nothing is received in return.

I also noticed that at the left side of the VTH, there is a little hole in there which seems to look like a reset hole, presumably allowing you to reset the device with a paperclip or alike. Not sure though if this is a correct assumption and if anyone has experience with this and can confirm this is indeed a reset option.

I am interested to hear from others who might have been successful already in resetting the VTH1550CH to know how you did it.

Thanks in advance for any hint you might have.

Duvel.

Duvel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently succeeded in updating my VTO2000A to the latest software (v4). After a lot of trouble to get the VTO flashed using the TFTP method explained in another post, I am now confronted with a black VTH1550CH device.... Grumbl...

When I plug-in a PoE cable connected to my VTNS1060A switch, I notice that the device powers up, and in Wireshark I can also see two entries showing up from IP address 192.168.1.108. showing

- the upgrate_info_7db780a713a4.txt file
- the failed.txt message

I use the Dahua_TFTPBackup toolset just like I did to unbrick my VTO200A. See Dahua IPC EASY unbricking / recovery over TFTP

So in the root folder, I have all files I need to flash this VTH device, I start the TFTP Server etc. but don't get it to flash anything. When pinging the IP shown in Wireshark, nothing is received in return.

I also noticed that at the left side of the VTH, there is a little hole in there which seems to look like a reset hole, presumably allowing you to reset the device with a paperclip or alike. Not sure though if this is a correct assumption and if anyone has experience with this and can confirm this is indeed a reset option.

I am interested to hear from others who might have been successful already in resetting the VTH1550CH to know how you did it.

Thanks in advance for any hint you might have.

Duvel.

I managed to flash the device just like I flashed my bricked VT02000A. It took a while before it actually picked up the files from the TFTP server, but all went well.
While discussion with a local technician, the fact that my VTH blacked out seems to be related with the SIP v4 version I flashed initially onto my VTO. I downgraded that one again to v3.2 (reflashing it again), and as said, after that, I was also able to reflash my VTH with that same v3.2 firmware.

So apparently, v4 is not yet that stable.

I haven't been able to get more information yet on that pinhole at the side of the VTH device yet. To me it looks like a reset hole, however also my local technician was in doubt if this was indeed the case.
Because I was able to reflash the device as mentioned above, I haven't further tried on that option.

Duvel

tim777

n3wb
Reaction score
Happy to found this post!

I have succesfully unbricked by Dahua VTH1550CH-2 by patching it with the extracted .img files from firmware General_Multi3_VTH1550CHW-2_EngRusItlFreGerDutSpaPor_P_V3.100.0000.0.R.20170401.bin.

In general I have followed the instructions above -> but has cost me lots of trial and error!

Main learning points:
  • Finally I did not get the routing to work on my Unifi network. So I gave up and used an isolated, old router where I set up a LAN 192.168.1.1/255.255.0.0. I was able to use standard IP settings of the device 192.168.1.110 and joined with a laptop with TFTP and Wireshark running using a fixed IP 192.168.254.254.
  • I was not able to read anything from the device (readenv) so I have out all commands by hand in a "guessed" order. The patching process failed a few times as I was able to follow in the TFTP console. Then I changed the order and rebooted and patched again.
My final command.txt file is attached.

Two questions left:
  • I do not understand how to use the failed.txt and success.txt files; seems they are used by the device locally only? Hopefully can someone explain.
  • Also the console listener did not show anything so does not seem to be needed or wrongly configured? Or...?
Tim777

Attachments

Rubeast

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Tim (and others!)
I have successfully unbricked my VTH!

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can someone help me I flashed VTH 1550-S2 with recent v4.1 Firmware no the device is dead.

I try the tftp unbrick method but the device does not connect to tftp server (firewall is off and I connect it directly) like in the how to.
I can ping the device for a short time (5 sec) then the connection drops (Windows shows no cable connected)

Last edited:

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Figured out the connection issue however I am still stuck with flashing the correct firmware files. Tried different files but I think they are uncorrect because the tftp process stops with failed.txt. Anyone can point out files to use with VTH-1550-S2 ?

Last edited:

ayushin

n3wb
Reaction score
Solved. Followed the exact setup - the problem was with my router - Unify network did not work.

imed88

n3wb
Reaction score
hello my friend,
first sorry if my english is not very good, i have an indoor monitor dahua vth1550ch-s2 it was under firmware version V4.410.0000000.4.R.20200221 and i updated it with Nordic_V4.600.0000000.0.R.220819 firmware after extracting it we found two part of firmware part1 and part2 i update it with vdp config tool the update of part 1 stoped at 54% and my vth1550ch-s2 went on black screen now its bricked it wont turn on and when i pluged it into the lan cable there is no ip detected or any thing the only thing that show is the red led when i pluged it into power, I unsolder the eeprom ( gigadevice GS25Q127C ) i programmed it with CH341 with the firmware V4.410.0000000.4.R.20200221 and solder it back into the board but nothing hapened still the same problem, can u please post a video or more explain how to use this methode TFTP and TTL technique because i try it and connect the rx tx gnd but cant have a response via putty or any thing else plz i need ur help.

Thank you.