Wall bracket needs junction box?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm looking for junction boxes and maybe bracket for some of my cameras, that I have just got from Andy.
My question is, about the wall mount bracket for the wedge camera. It is a good idea to use one, if I install it head hight on the wall, next to the door?
I'm not familiar with brackets, do I need a junction box, if I would use a bracket?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you mention it will be mounted at head level (door station). A 2-Axis camera will do just fine for lens adjustment. A camera will always need a wired connection, even the wifi types (except the new battery concepts). I will recommend a junction box to include the connector(s), especially for outdoor applications. I will all depend on how good it will look in the main entrance (flush mount vs. surface mount junction box). By bracket you mean an "L" 90 degrees or only an extension to the camera to accommodate the cables? At head level, an "L" bracket will looks funny and non practical.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
not sure, but the irregular shape of the wedge cameras is mostly for ceiling or walls, flush mounted

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
what is the model of your camera? As mentioned, irregular shapes are difficult to find a mounting bracket. Always ask the sales person if something is available for your particular camera. But if your camera is 3-axis, you may not need an L bracket. I normally install L brackets for dome cameras with rounded lens cover (vs torrent flat lens). Living in the tropics, the sun will eventually damage the lens if the camera position (body) is vertical (like a dome mounted towards the wall)

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
It is the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS.
I have a fully covered porch, so rain and sun is not an issue.
I'm thinking about installing it, somewhere around the wall mounted motion sensor lamp. Maybe, right above the door.

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm thinking about installing it, somewhere around the wall mounted motion sensor lamp. Maybe, right above the door.
If you can, I suggest mounting it flush about eye level next to the door. I mounted my 5231 above the door because the wife wouldn't go with an eye-level mount. Short people and anyone with a hat don't always get a good face shot. I ended up supplementing with a doorbell cam.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
PFA139 Junction box
PFB204W vertical wall bracket

upload_2017-12-2_10-21-48.png

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for that, but I have already noticed that. That is why I ask, if it's a good idea to use the bracket. The cables can be hidden inside it, no need for a junction box as well?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI Tibimakai,

Recommend mounting it lower to get a better chance of a facial image.

While a junction box is nice, I found it would be sticking out too much for what I wanted, and thus mounted the mini-dome wedge flush with the wall and had to drill a 3/4"+ hole for the pig tail.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
My problem is, that I'm not planning to run the cables in the wall. Most likely, I will run some kind of conduit up on the wall, behind the wall lamp. This lamp, will cover some of it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My problem is, that I'm not planning to run the cables in the wall. Most likely, I will run some kind of conduit up on the wall, behind the wall lamp. This lamp, will cover some of it.
Then I would consider the following options:

1) PFA139 = junction box for this, same as for the smaller fixed lens turrets.

2) You maybe also able to hack a junction box from Home Depot or Lowes to hold this.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
it will depend on how the cable enters the camera and the structure it will be mounted (stucco, wood, concrete, etc.). It looks like your cable is coming out from a hole in the wall. if a cat5/6 with poe, the network connector can be included (and protected) inside the bracket, including the 12V power connector. I use a similar bracket from Hik, allowing me to include the cabling inside, but I cannot guarantee it will fit nicely, especially if using the twist-lock connector and depending on the length of the camera cable plus the Vdc connector. If the wall shape is irregular (not completely flat), I will recommend use the 3M plastic and emblem adhesive (or similar glue) around the borders (around the bracket and stucco, for example). Most newer Dahua cameras includes a twist-lock network connector with o-ring and bushing. That helps protect against humidity and small bugs. I always cover/protect the Vdc power connector with electrical tape. The wall mounted bracket have more room to accommodate all cables and connector. If unsure, go with the wall mount.

DVD

n3wb
Reaction score
If you can, I suggest mounting it flush about eye level next to the door. I mounted my 5231 above the door because the wife wouldn't go with an eye-level mount. Short people and anyone with a hat don't always get a good face shot. I ended up supplementing with a doorbell cam.
Does Dahua make a doorbell came that you used to supplement or are you referring to a consumer grade device (i.e. Ring)?

I'm trying to determine what Dahua model would be good for eye level and small profile.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS
But in addition to this camera, I will install a Ring Pro as well. I'm not willing to pay for recordings, since I will have my own cameras for that.

Last edited:

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does Dahua make a doorbell came that you used to supplement or are you referring to a consumer grade device (i.e. Ring)?

I'm trying to determine what Dahua model would be good for eye level and small profile.
Mine is a cheap consumer grade cam I picked up on Black Friday. So far so good. Image quality at night has been acceptable because of the additional IR from the Starlight above the door.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: DVD