Wall of shame

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I learned, early one, with wire ties to use a flush cutter. No sharp edges at all that way. Radio Shack used to sell a pair for about five bucks. Still have a few hanging around.
I've used those but just couldn't keep 'em handy when I needed them but also had a set of diagonal cutters or electrician's cutters handy and as you know, they don't cut flush, leave a sharp edge, hence the Bic lighter. I also had issues using the flush cutters in tight places where the power was still on (inside traffic signal cabinets) but not with the cutters.

I'm a firm believer in folks using what works best for them and what they're comfortable with. I admit, I kinda did it the hard way for 31 years but I'm still here after retiring 14 years ago and have my fingers and both eyeballs (thank you, Lord!).

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Flush cutters are my tool of choice for cutting cat cable before pushing on the plug and terminating.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
When I learned to use flush cutter for wire ties, it was a result of installing, en mass, RJ45S and IBM Type 2 connectors. Dikes just wern't up to the task and resulted in too many bad connectors. The square end from flush cutters is perfect for them though.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Flush cutters are my tool of choice for cutting cat cable before pushing on the plug and terminating.
By 'flush cutters' If you're referring to like the straight edge of diagonal cutting pliers like below, then "me too" when terminating Ethernet cables. Never had bad connections, they WERE flush.

Those are also what I use on nylon wire ties too, which produces the sharp place at the buckle that I smooth with the Bic lighter. I didn't like the tension I was getting with the wire tie pliers/cutters, it would get too tight and I could not spin the tie around to hide the buckle for neatness & appearance. I dunno, maybe I had a 'bad' set with poor tension adjustment or I adjusted wrong. Maybe the ones in '73 were crappy anyway...I can't recall. I just know I always had my Klein ''dikes' with me at all times and I manually pulled the tie to how I wanted it, cut it, spun it to hide the buckle or if it had to be exposed, smoothed the cut tie at the buckle with the lighter to save arms and wrists.
klein_diag.jpg

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These are the one I currently use https://www.amazon.com/Xuron-170-IIASF-Static-Control-Retainer/dp/B000IBSFBW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520521948&sr=8-4&keywords=xuron+flush+cutters+electronics A little more pricey than the old Radio Shack stuff, but they even retain clippings, for the most part. I work with a lot of light gauge titanium and stainless wires so being able to get a flush cut and control where the little bits and pieces go is a big advantage.
Both great choices to perform your specific tasks. And you can give yourself a pedicure, too! :facepalm:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The ones I have do work well on finger nails, too. No trimmings flying around the room :love:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Both great choices to perform your specific tasks. And you can give yourself a pedicure, too! :facepalm:
They do work on fingernails, but I like them because they actually cut all the way through the wires every time. Regular diagonal cutters don't always go all the way through small 24awg wires (crushing instead of cutting) and sometimes you have to break off the little pieces or cut a second time.

Reaction score
...The second act of genius was to put two power supply boards in an enclosure held in place only by the wires that attached them. Over a few months time, they sagged and touched each other, also did not turn out well, again offering to fix them under warranty for a price....
That's sad, looks like they had a bunch of mounting points. Looks like 10 cents worth self-tapping metal screws would have probably fixed that before repair was needed.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ran into this today when we went to network a CCTV system.. lol...
Little mom 'n pop convenience stores can be bad....that nest looks like a liquor store I've done PC and network repairs to.

My nastiest customer regarding equipment is a local, small restaurant that serves great food but fries LOTS of stuff...fish, hush puppies, chicken, chicken livers, onion rings, pickles and French fries. And the owner has no office or closet so the NVR & it's monitor and his desktop HP laser copier/scanner are up front near the register and credit card reader/printer. When I go to change the toner in the HP laser I have to wash my hands 2-3 times, the grease is literally 1/8" thick on all the above. Ethernet, USB and phone cables feel like dead snakes. Last time the whole front of the poor HP had old food smeared across the toner access door where someone had missed the garbage can....sitting in front of at same height as the HP.

The place ranks a 96 by the state as a food service institution but gets a 6 from their not-so-squeamish local tech guy. :puke:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Many moons ago, long before ethernet/PoE cameras, I serviced a convenience store in a not so good neighborhood. When I got home from there I got undressed in the garage, washed the clothes, immediately, and took a shower. Roaches wern't on my list of desirable house guests and I always worried about my tool bag, too.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many moons ago, long before ethernet/PoE cameras, I serviced a convenience store in a not so good neighborhood. When I got home from there I got undressed in the garage, washed the clothes, immediately, and took a shower. Roaches wern't on my list of desirable house guests and I always worried about my tool bag, too.
I hear you, man...I had a small LLC (me!) for 7 years and 300+ clients, the 'shop' was my office at the house. First thing I always did was I'd blow out the case, power supply, CPU heatsink, fans, etc. really well with a small power blower. There were also PC's from a couple of places (and homes) that got bagged in a garbage bag with a Roach Motel for 2 days before they went in the house...those little bastards LOVE cozy, warm power supplies. I've had to break out the Raid a few times too on the hard cases....off course, all that went into the labor charge!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hear you, man...I had a small LLC (me!) for 7 years and 300+ clients, the 'shop' was my office at the house. First thing I always did was I'd blow out the case, power supply, CPU heatsink, fans, etc. really well with a small power blower. There were also PC's from a couple of places (and homes) that got bagged in a garbage bag with a Roach Motel for 2 days before they went in the house...those little bastards LOVE cozy, warm power supplies. I've had to break out the Raid a few times too on the hard cases....off course, all that went into the labor charge!
They're should also be a hazardous duty charge.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Always vacuum / wipe before you just blow that crap into the air. Nobody should be breathing 2" of cat dander, hair, and tobacco tar. I'd be more afraid of bed bugs than roaches, though both suck.