Wanscam HW0042

deff0

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I got this cam recently. Looks good, feels good, firmware is crap, overall expirience is complicated. What bothers me most is that this cam doesn't allow me to use wifi passwords longer than 15 symbols. All symbols must be alpha-numeric only, no dashes, no slashes, etc. I don't like the idea to reduce security of my network (~30 devices) because of one shitty device. Who knows, may be next time they would say that 4 digit pin is ok. Wanscam support was very responsive and very useless. They confirmed that my cam runs latest firmware and it's very secure.
My question is: Is there nice compatible firmware? May be from foscam?

BTW, I have a pair of foscams (R2 and FI8926p). Both are installed in domes for outdoor use. I can't use embedded ir illumination, because it reflects from the dome and blids cams. If I switch off ir leds, camera always work in day with IR filter on. So I can't use externa ir illuminator for NV. Is there any way (firmware tweak) to disable embedded ir leds without disabling NV at all? Or I'll have to disassemble my cams and disconnect illiminators physicaly?

Reaction score
To give the OP some perspective, I'd rather have a Foscam than a Wanscam. I used to have a dirt-cheap Wanscam that was a 100% Foscam clone. It even cross-loaded Foscam firmware successfully, which made it a better camera at the time.

deff0

n3wb
Reaction score
I've chosen Hw0042 because of it's ability to record to SD card. As I know, only this model and some Amcrest's models do. But Amcrest's products work with IE only (no Chrome, Safari, etc). I'm afraid I'm not able to return wanscam back, today I've broken warranty seal to upgrade SD card. Now I have the only option is to find a proper firmware for it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've chosen Hw0042 because of it's ability to record to SD card. As I know, only this model and some Amcrest's models do. But Amcrest's products work with IE only (no Chrome, Safari, etc). I'm afraid I'm not able to return wanscam back, today I've broken warranty seal to upgrade SD card. Now I have the only option is to find a proper firmware for it.
For future reference, many brands have cameras that can record to sd card, including dahua and hikvision. If inserting an SD card void/return or warranty something is wrong. You will end up bricking your camera trying to install improper firmware.

deff0

n3wb
Reaction score
Had some free time to play with cams.

I tried to upload new firmware to hw0042. They were a couple of generic hi3518e camera firmwares and one for foscam fi9805w. HW0042 showed "Upgrade success!" windows each time and... nothing had ever been changed. Either wanscam declines 3rd party firmware or this upgrade function doesn't work at all.

Secondly, I've successfully disabled IR illuminator on foscam R2. To do this, you need to disassemble the cam back to it's head. Unscrew imaging sensor board and remove it. At the bottom of this board there is a 5-pin male connector.
Pinout (from left to right):
1 - light sensor
2 - led illuminator
3 - led illuminator
4 - light sensor
5 - gnd
To disable illuminator, just bend the middle pin to 90 degrees and assemble camera back. This hack is reversible.