Want wired and wireless?

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any NVRs that do both that are decent but not too expensive? I need to put one cam on an outbuilding. Thanks for any help and just to note I have read and searched and can't find the answer.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any NVRs that do both that are decent but not too expensive? I need to put one cam on an outbuilding. Thanks for any help and just to note I have read and searched and can't find the answer.
Hi Yollie,

You can skip the NVR in some cases and use a microSD card to store videos if the camera supports local microSD card storage.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Yollie,

You can skip the NVR in some cases and use a microSD card to store videos if the camera supports local microSD card storage.
I'm not sure how a SD card camera works? Is it only recording when triggered? How to copy a portion of a recording if needed? How would you view them on a monitor? I'd like to be able to see all views of cameras in one place. I have a neighbor shooting pellets at my house and my car at night. I'm worried when he's going t switch to real guns as he's now 19 and EXTREMELY immature. I have no probs with guns usually but I'm worried. Thanks for any help.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wireless cameras still need power. If power is available you can try powerline networking with HomePlug AV2 adapters.

If you want to mix wired and wireless it's best to get an NVR without a PoE switch built in and connect up your own PoE switch and wifi if you must. NOTE: wifi really can't handle very many cameras.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
wireless cameras still need power. If power is available you can try powerline networking with HomePlug AV2 adapters.

If you want to mix wired and wireless it's best to get an NVR without a PoE switch built in and connect up your own PoE switch and wifi if you must. NOTE: wifi really can't handle very many cameras.
I have got power source to the one I want on the outbuilding.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
elaborate a bit more on your "power source" please.
I have plug in capability for one at my garage.

I'm really having a hard time finding an NVR without poe ports to use a switch with.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I'm really having a hard time finding an NVR without poe ports to use a switch with.
Hi Yollie,

So you have a detached garage which has electrical power.

That is good. Thus you should be able to try the powerline adapters which tangent mentioned:

Do you know how many views / cameras do you want to get?

How tight is your budget?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

This is an example of what I mean when I say powerline adapters: https://www.amazon.com/Zyxel-Powerline-Gigabit-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00D7GF6NA/
This will be more reliable than wifi assuming the garage is powered from the house and is reasonably close to the house and you aren't running things like welders in the garage.

Here's an example NVR without PoE
NVR5208/5216/5232-4KS2 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology
We don't really have enough information about your needs to make a product recommendation.

If you use power line adapters an NVR with PoE will work fine for you.

I'd suggest ordering from @EMPIRETECANDY

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This is an example of what I mean when I say powerline adapters: https://www.amazon.com/Zyxel-Powerline-Gigabit-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00D7GF6NA/
This will be more reliable than wifi assuming the garage is powered from the house and is reasonably close to the house and you aren't running things like welders in the garage.

Here's an example NVR without PoE
NVR5208/5216/5232-4KS2 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology
We don't really have enough information about your needs to make a product recommendation.

If you use power line adapters an NVR with PoE will work fine for you.

I'd suggest ordering from @EMPIRETECANDY
Just use a NVR4104HS-P-4KS2 is enough if you only use for 1 camera and make power for it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just use a NVR4104HS-P-4KS2 is enough if you only use for 1 camera and make power for it.
it sounds like @Yollie plans to have more than one camera, but we really need more information about what they have and what they want. I agree that the 52 series NVRs would probably be overkill, I was just giving an example of one of the ways you could hook this up.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
it sounds like @Yollie plans to have more than one camera, but we really need more information about what they have and what they want. I agree that the 52 series NVRs would probably be overkill, I was just giving an example of one of the ways you could hook this up.
Yeah, i thought you no good budget, if just for normal using the lite model is enough for using.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey thanks you guys. I'm sorry I'll try to be more specific. I want to use 2 or 3 cameras on my house and one on my garage which is an outbuilding approx 50ft from the home, detached of course. If I didn't have to pay someone to install the cameras (asking 100 per camera) I could spend more money on a better system. I have a small home approx 1200 sq ft. I already have the lorex old wireless cams (2) that record on an sd card but they only record for a few seconds after being triggered but it does have sound so I can talk to someone at my front door without opening it. (Older/Old living alone) but this isn't helping with the riff raff that seems to have invaded my neighborhood. They steal anything that's not nailed down it seems along with the shooter across the street. I won't be surprised if we read about him in the news one day.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey thanks you guys. I'm sorry I'll try to be more specific. I want to use 2 or 3 cameras on my house and one on my garage which is an outbuilding approx 50ft from the home, detached of course. If I didn't have to pay someone to install the cameras (asking 100 per camera) I could spend more money on a better system. I have a small home approx 1200 sq ft. I already have the lorex old wireless cams (2) that record on an sd card but they only record for a few seconds after being triggered but it does have sound so I can talk to someone at my front door without opening it. (Older/Old living alone) but this isn't helping with the riff raff that seems to have invaded my neighborhood. They steal anything that's not nailed down it seems along with the shooter across the street. I won't be surprised if we read about him in the news one day.
HI Yollie,

Is the greatest threat during the daytime or night time?

Also, do not be afraid of getting more cameras - often we underestimate the cameras we need.

Here's some notes I have on common mistakes:

Common mistakes:
  • Too few cameras installed. Plan for at least 6-8 cameras. Have 2+ cameras covering the approach to and including the front door area.
  • Cameras mounted too high. Mount cameras < 8 feet high to get a good angle for potential ID purposes.
  • Poor quality, resolution, and wide angle cameras resulting in short ID distances.
  • Over estimating the quality of motion detection and video snap shots and thus no recording full time ( 24/7 )
  • Over estimating the reliability of wire free and wifi cameras, as well as cloud connectivity.
  • Placing cameras indoors behind windows looking out. Window glass typically will reflect IR signals, thus rendering PIR motion detection and IR base night vision nearly useless.
  • Installing dome cameras outdoors. Dome cameras have more glare and IR reflection issues as well as over the long term direct UV exposure will decay the plastic dome. Turret / Eye ball form factor cameras are often better options.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HI Yollie,

Is the greatest threat during the daytime or night time?

Also, do not be afraid of getting more cameras - often we underestimate the cameras we need.

Here's some notes I have on common mistakes:

Common mistakes:
  • Too few cameras installed. Plan for at least 6-8 cameras. Have 2+ cameras covering the approach to and including the front door area.
  • Cameras mounted too high. Mount cameras < 8 feet high to get a good angle for potential ID purposes.
  • Poor quality, resolution, and wide angle cameras resulting in short ID distances.
  • Over estimating the quality of motion detection and video snap shots and thus no recording full time ( 24/7 )
  • Over estimating the reliability of wire free and wifi cameras, as well as cloud connectivity.
  • Placing cameras indoors behind windows looking out. Window glass typically will reflect IR signals, thus rendering PIR motion detection and IR base night vision nearly useless.
  • Installing dome cameras outdoors. Dome cameras have more glare and IR reflection issues as well as over the long term direct UV exposure will decay the plastic dome. Turret / Eye ball form factor cameras are often better options.
Thank you, all good and interesting information. I may have to start with a few cameras first as budget doesn't allow because on top of approx 100.00 per cam I'm going to have to pay 100 per cam to be installed. At 8 that's 1600.00 not including DVR, switch and possible SATA. I just can't afford that much.

Night time is when the most trouble has happened so far. So I'm trying to figure out the dahua starlight, I think it's called.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Yollie,

So you have a detached garage which has electrical power.

That is good. Thus you should be able to try the powerline adapters which tangent mentioned:

Do you know how many views / cameras do you want to get?

How tight is your budget?
Hi Matt. I am not sure what a power line adapter is. I am so darn confused looking at NVRS (dahua). My budget is 400.00 for now (not including the 300 will cost me for install and HDD). I'm hoping to get an 8ch NVR (thanks to previous poster) and 3 poe cameras. (Can do the wireless one in month or so when have more money). It's terrible being poor!!!! lol.

Please can someone show me a NVR that will work and not be too pricey perhaps with and without a switch. I'm trying t get a order together and Dahua has sooooo many NVRS. What is a mini and what is a "smart", are they worth it? They don't have explanations of these options on their website. I have about 40 web pages open, I keep going back and forth trying to compare I'm blind

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Matt. I am not sure what a power line adapter is. I am so darn confused looking at NVRS (dahua). My budget is 400.00 for now (not including the 300 will cost me for install and HDD). I'm hoping to get an 8ch NVR (thanks to previous poster) and 3 poe cameras. (Can do the wireless one in month or so when have more money). It's terrible being poor!!!! lol.

Please can someone show me a NVR that will work and not be too pricey perhaps with and without a switch. I'm trying t get a order together and Dahua has sooooo many NVRS. What is a mini and what is a "smart", are they worth it? They don't have explanations of these options on their website. I have about 40 web pages open, I keep going back and forth trying to compare I'm blind
HI Yollie,

Do you have children or friends who can help you install something? That way you can save on the installation and get something better.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HI Yollie,

Do you have children or friends who can help you install something? That way you can save on the installation and get something better.
No I don't all my friends are old like me and crawling in the attic to run wires we can't do. No kids. My Dad who did all this kind of stuff has passed, I miss him terribly and not just for what he could do.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HI Yollie,

Ahh just researched power line adapter that looks promising for that one camera!