Want wired and wireless?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI Yollie,

Both of those are Chinese market cameras, and can add additional work / headaches for some - especially if you have your cameras connected to the internet.

Also note the 6MP camera above is not a "starlight" model even though the seller claims it to be.

If you plan not to connect your cameras to the internet the 4MP version of a Chinese market camera seems very popular iirc IPC-HDW4431C-A

The issue many people have is that they are have issues updating the software on these cameras - and that requires additional skills as well as finding that once updated that it is again in Chinese language.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HI Yollie,

Both of those are Chinese market cameras, and can add additional work / headaches for some - especially if you have your cameras connected to the internet.

Also note the 6MP camera above is not a "starlight" model even though the seller claims it to be.

If you plan not to connect your cameras to the internet the 4MP version of a Chinese market camera seems very popular iirc IPC-HDW4431C-A

The issue many people have is that they are have issues updating the software on these cameras - and that requires additional skills as well as finding that once updated that it is again in Chinese language.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there any benefit to having a camera like this if the specs are the same? I am getting closer to my order. Original Dahua Poe 4MP IP camera IPC-HFW4431R-Z H.265 CCTV bullet camera IR 80M | eBay

The fairly good news is I am pretty good at figuring computer things out. At least I think I am..
Hi Yollie,

Depends on view, angle, how far away the subject will be.

The "Z" at the end of the model number indicates "zoom" - that is it is varifocal so you can adjust the zoom, typically done only during the installation and not meant to be used frequently.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is the benefit of using a switch in place of a DVR with POE?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I may have to start with a few cameras first as budget doesn't allow because on top of approx 100.00 per cam I'm going to have to pay 100 per cam to be installed. At 8 that's 1600.00 not including DVR, switch and possible SATA. I just can't afford that much.
Night time is when the most trouble has happened so far. So I'm trying to figure out the dahua starlight, I think it's called.
Hi Matt. I am not sure what a power line adapter is. I am so darn confused looking at NVRS (dahua). My budget is 400.00 for now (not including the 300 will cost me for install and HDD). I'm hoping to get an 8ch NVR (thanks to previous poster) and 3 poe cameras. (Can do the wireless one in month or so when have more money). It's terrible being poor!!!! lol.

Please can someone show me a NVR that will work and not be too pricey perhaps with and without a switch. I'm trying t get a order together and Dahua has sooooo many NVRS. What is a mini and what is a "smart", are they worth it? They don't have explanations of these options on their website. I have about 40 web pages open, I keep going back and forth trying to compare I'm blind
For the NVR something like an NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2 would work for you and allow future expansion to 8 cameras. The 8P in the model indicates that it has an 8 port PoE switch built in.

For the cameras, more megapixels doesn't mean a better image especially at night. A varifocal camera is a good option as it allows you to zoom in and out the get the image just right, this is denoted by the Z or ZE at the end of some camera models. I'd recommend you get at least one Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) or IPC-HDW5231R-ZE they are a little expensive at around $170/cam. This fixed focus model is less expensive Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS) but less versatile.
These cameras really do capture night images quite a bit better than a lot of the other options.

What is the benefit of using a switch in place of a DVR with POE?
For you the simplest thing would be an NVR with a PoE switch built in. For the garage you'd get a set of HomePlug adapters like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Zyxel-Powerline-Gigabit-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00D7GF6NA/?tag=ipctk-20
and either a small PoE switch/injector or a 12V power supply to power that camera only.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.