Warm enough for ya?

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have seen -36 degrees while skiing but do not miss it. I have heard of septic tanks freezing if it gets that cold and there is not insulating snow cover.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I have seen -36 degrees while skiing but do not miss it. I have heard of septic tanks freezing if it gets that cold and there is not insulating snow cover.
Yes this year and the past winter saw whatever they call a Polar Vortex??? Regardless, essentially we saw and endured something out of a movie. Where the pressure drops extremely quickly while an extreme northerly air / wind current zipped in.

This is what happened in about three minutes right before my eyes . . . :facepalm:

To provide some context I started to hear the house begin to creek and moan. I looked down at the windows and this is what started to form: 4" of ice

At the three minute mark this what all the windows in my home looked like. The wavy line you see is the ice forming and crawling up the window which is approx five feet tall:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Straight out of "The Day After Tomorrow"!
That is exactly what crossed my mind when this happen. :embarrassed: So this year was a little different because like the so called drought of the century. We received more snow in a single winter than whatever record they have been tracking. With that came another polar vortex . . .

There was so much snow I didn't know what to do with it as our property isn't very big. So like the Japanese I figured if I can't go wider go taller! :lmao:

I know its hard to get perspective but the snow is seven feet high in this photo. I made a very long run way down my front yard to help me push the snow further away while stacking it higher.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is exactly what crossed my mind when this happen. :embarrassed: So this year was a little different because like the so called drought of the century. We received more snow in a single winter than whatever record they have been tracking. With that came another polar vortex . . .

There was so much snow I didn't know what to do with it as our property isn't very big. So like the Japanese I figured if I can't go wider go taller! :lmao:

I know its hard to get perspective but the snow is seven feet high in this photo. I made a very long run way down my front yard to help me push the snow further away while stacking it higher.

And that is why I will never complain about heat

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
It's literally raining cat's and dog's here in Middle Tennessee. My weather station says so........

Desk 08-07-2022 23-17-41.jpg

Crazy weather today. 2 miles from my house this afternoon on the way home, it was 100 degrees F. Got to my house and it was 78 F. Amazing the temp change in an isolated thunder shower. The heat index today was 121.6 . just before noon. Actual temp was cooler today with a high of 97 F. My central air is keeping the house a nice 74 F.

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 6.27.08 PM.png

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
It's literally raining cat's and dog's here in Middle Tennessee. My weather station says so........

View attachment 132957

Crazy weather today. 2 miles from my house this afternoon on the way home, it was 100 degrees F. Got to my house and it was 78 F. Amazing the temp change in an isolated thunder shower. The heat index today was 121.6 . just before noon. Actual temp was cooler today with a high of 97 F. My central air is keeping the house a nice 74 F.

View attachment 132959
I have a Davis station too but mine is just a Vantage Vue, still a pretty good, reliable station.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Davis station too but mine is just a Vantage Vue, still a pretty good, reliable station.
I have a Vantage Vue console in my bedroom that reads the same signal as the Vantage Pro 2 console does. That way, in the middle of the night, I can watch what the weather is doing in the event of a bad weather event without getting out of bed to run to the other end of the house to see what the weather is doing. I love my Davis system. Have had it for 8 years. If and when this one finally gets worn out beyond repair, I'll buy another Vantage Pro 2.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Extreme weather events, YIKES...the Climate Crisis can be mitigated if people just give it a break already :rofl:

There's a fine line between pollution versus increased warming. The Arctic Circle did have some refreezing miraculously recently.

Healthy habits is where everything starts. Humans are on the verge of wiping themselves of this planet thanks to individual choices and uninformed influences from leaders and celebrities. That may ultimately solve this drastic warming trend, ironically. Population control is a thing but is not necessarily the solution.

Some of the happiest, healthiest, and carbon-neutral places on Earth consists of people relying on public transportation and commuting by feet and cycling. Lifestyles worldwide will eventually change, however, developing countries have been negatively influenced by developed nations and now they fail to do their part as well.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I think my wife is trying to kill me. She has meals worked out for a week and she had me scheduled for grilling today. I had 2 fans going on the patio and the air felt like it was coming out of an oven. Check out the temperature at the bottom right of this snapshot:

Patio.20220720_163804856.8.jpg

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
It's just stupid hot out here too as seen in the image capture and the humidity is out of this world. I have no problem with the dry heat but as soon as it gets all humid, wet, and sticky. :mad:

I don't have central air conditioning and primarily use Passive Cooling to keep the house cool during the summer months. Ninety percent of the time this works out just fine unless there are consecutive nights where the evening temperatures don't go down below 20'C / 68'F.

If the humidity is really high even when its cool all bets are off . . . :(

At some point in time I plan on installing a winter air source heat pump as my first AC / Heating unit! :) I've waited a really long time to see this technology advance to a stage where it was relatively cheap while also proven to operate at -30'C?!?!? I'll believe it when I see it when this thing has to operate and provide real heat at -30'C / -22'F

Hot.PNG