WARNING Blue Iris 4 update deleted 3TB of data

JakeD

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Blue Iris 3.66 and every time I would start it it would alert me that there is a new version (4) available. I googled about it and users were saying that version 4 can be run along version 3 to without any problems. I downloaded BI4, installed it and tried it for 10 minutes before closing it and going back to BI 3.66. Today there was an issue at my business where I had to check some video footage from a couple of weeks ago. I opened BI and realized with horror that all my clips were gone, 3.3TB of footage, 2 months of it from 4 cameras, all gone. The entire hard drive was wiped except for a few clips from today. I checked through the options and I saw that BI 4 installation changed the setting for my main storage folder to limit it to 19GB only!? It erased all my data. I am extremely frustrated now since most of the files were over 4GB and cannot be recovered in Windows. I can use recovery software for files smaller than 4GB but that's useless since most of the files were 4.5 GB in size due to default BI setting.

I am writing this to warn others and ask if anyone had any luck recovering larger files. Also, I hope that developer sees this and fixes the 2 settings (default file split size to less than 4GB and the upgrade procedure that deletes old data.

J

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up and warning to others.
The developer does not read this or any other forum...you should email support to let him know...
I have read some posts that claim that http://www.r-studio.com/ can recover files larger than 4gb..
I never understand why folks update mission critical machines like this without backing up data and/or checking all the settings...i know its after the fact but folks need to take basic procedural steps to back up crucial data before any update...