water proofing cable from ip camera to NVR

arkiboys

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to connect the ip dome camera cable to the data cable which goes to NVR.
The camera will be placed on the outside wall of house...
To hide the two cables coming out of camera I am using a junction box.
How do I make sure the RJ45 bit is water proof?
I have attached photos so that you can tell me if this is the way to connect cables to be water proof.
I guess the opening of the junction box will be pointing downwards so that water does not get into box ?

Thank you

Attachments

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I understand the cat5/6 is weatherproof rated. I use the Ubiquiti brand, but there is similar less expensive weatherproof cables. At the junction box, I always point the cable entrance downward or do a loop dripping end. Add 3M emblem glue to seal the cable entrance

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@arkiboys , in summation:

1) Put RJ-45 entrance on bottom with drip loop ahead if cable approaches from above entrance. ( @eggsan )
2) Put dielectric grease on RJ-45 prior to plugging in ( @looney2ns )
3) Over-wrap the RJ-45 female connector with the plugged in cable, using 3M Scotch #130C Linerless Rubber Splicing Tape ( @alastairstevenson )
4) Overwrap the Scotch #130C tightly with 3M Scotch #33+ to accelerate the self-vulcanizing property of the Scotch #130C. If you don't care for black tape on your white box and cam, use 3M Scotch #35 Vinyl white Electrical Tape instead (me!)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.