Waterproofing cameras?

Nickg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have just installed several IPC 2331 / 5231 cameras with junction box P137 outdoor. Some of the cameras have a little notch cut out in the mounting frame where the cord would meet the ceiling ( if mounted without junction box). Do you seal this hole?
It looks like there is no danger seeing that the connections are completely sealed with connector and fusion tape but I am not sure.. what do you Guys think?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i have just installed several IPC 2331 / 5231 cameras with junction box P137 outdoor. Some of the cameras have a little notch cut out in the mounting frame where the cord would meet the ceiling ( if mounted without junction box). Do you seal this hole?
It looks like there is no danger seeing that the connections are completely sealed with connector and fusion tape but I am not sure.. what do you Guys think?
Hi @Nickg

I put a "n" shaped ( inverted U ) bead of silicone gel between the camera base and the junction box - to allow water to drip out, but hopefully not in to the joint of the base and junction box.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most of my camera's seem to have 3 or 4 of these little notches as mentioned by @Nickg

When I mount my camera's, I fil these with sealant, apart from the one at the bottom (when mounted) in order that any water may escape

Reaction score
Also, if using Dahua cameras, use the RJ45 plastic cover / seal that comes with the camera. I've had a camera junction box filled with water (roof leaked) and the camera kept trucking on because it had the cover / seal installed.