WD Purple Questions

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve been doing it wrong since 2012

I put two drives in every one of my NVR/DVRs and those of friends I’ve helped. Over the years I’d guess 25-30 NVRs .I always use WD purple drives.

I’ve had one drive fail in that time, one of my own 2TB drives from 2014 in an old Hybrid DVR. It failed about 2 months ago.

I got an alert from the DVR and otherwise life went on. It’s now recording to one drive and I get less days of storage.

yawn...
What part are you doing wrong?

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What’s wrong with 2 drives? I think that there is a long term advantage to using 2 drives. If you use only one, it is always spinning, and always writing. If you have two, they will take turns sleeping while the other one is used. Also, if one failed, the other is still recording until you get the chance to replace it

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Apparently using 2 drives :rofl:
It's the old Raid school of redundancy, with mathematical statistical probablity being technically correct. scaling up to those Array's which repair themselves on the fly when one drive drops out.....But for camera's I wouldn't want all that complexity......If I lose my 17 days of Condo recordings, then so be it,,,The event's that happen that are noteworthy to the Postal service or the Sheriff, only seem to happen about 2-3 times a year. Before I put camera's outside there was a 100% chance of not seeing shit 24/7/365 ...Now I have 5 camera's outside,,,and a drive failure would take away 1/2 day of screwing around....out of a possible 365....I can live with those odds.....