WD RED vs PURPLE

bjornhallberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know this has been done to death already but the thing is I got a good deal on a WD Purple 4TB on Amazon Prime Day. It was a Warehouse Deal on top of that. And yes I know, hard drives don't like being manhandled so shipping them back and forth and whatnot is a gamble.

Anyhow, the package ended up containing a 4TB WD Red. In a "Purple" box but ESD bag unbroken. Quite confusing.

So I'm faced having to return the drive and pay another $30 or so to get a proper Purple. What should I do?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know this has been done to death already but the thing is I got a good deal on a WD Purple 4TB on Amazon Prime Day. It was a Warehouse Deal on top of that. And yes I know, hard drives don't like being manhandled so shipping them back and forth and whatnot is a gamble.

Anyhow, the package ended up containing a 4TB WD Red. In a "Purple" box but ESD bag unbroken. Quite confusing.

So I'm faced having to return the drive and pay another $30 or so to get a proper Purple. What should I do?
someone screwed with that packaging...I would not trust the drive...see if amazon will exchange it.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I agree with Fenderman. You bought a purple. Make them give you a purple. And you should not have to pay anything extra for it.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I agree with Fenderman. You bought a purple. Make them give you a purple. And you should not have to pay anything extra for it.

bjornhallberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll email them and see what happens. The default action is always a return slip and a refund. I know from experience that Amazon (.de) usually can be quite accommodating, when items are incomplete etc. But adding insult to injury it seems the Purple is on back order so saving those $30 will probably cost me another two weeks at best.

bjornhallberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, no, since they consider Warehouse Deals a one-off you can't get a replacement. Return and refund!

Also, upon examining the WD RED I got, I realized it didn't have the nice RED logo like it is supposed to. It's entirely ... monochrome. Looking closer I see it says "recertified". Looked up the serial number though and it still has three years warranty. Very confusing.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another option is to contact WD directly, and see if they will take care of you. Just explain you bought a purple and received a red instead. They should want to know about it, and want to get the drive back so they can investigate it. Someone screwed up big time.

bjornhallberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not a bad idea. I'll do that. But in the meantime I bought another PURPLE elsewhere and created a return/refund process with Amazon and will send the drive back next week.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Amazon is such a joke anymore with all it's sellers. It really is no different than EBay and you need to pay attention to who is actually selling. Amazon does have a good return policy though. I have had excellent luck with B&H when it comes to drives. They are very competitive as well.

WD 4TB Purple 3.5" Surveillance Internal WDBGKN0040HNC-NRSN

AR308USR

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought a 6TB Purple off Amazon and it arrived in a brown envelope with no box/padding at all. I returned it to Amazon immediately and bought the drive from NewEgg. I can't see how someone can expect a hard drive to survive shipping in an envelope, amazing..

DesiJatt

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought a 6TB Purple off Amazon and it arrived in a brown envelope with no box/padding at all. I returned it to Amazon immediately and bought the drive from NewEgg. I can't see how someone can expect a hard drive to survive shipping in an envelope, amazing..
I had the same thing happen. The drive had a broken sata port so I sent it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Amazon is such a joke anymore with all it's sellers. It really is no different than EBay and you need to pay attention to who is actually selling.
that's the key right there. Make damn sure the seller is reputable or just buy from Amazon.
Amazon does have a good return policy though.
only if you buy from Amazon and they screw up. Otherwise your stuck with paying return shipping.