We had a thief.. And now I want a better system

Discussion in 'Pics & Videos' started by digdoug, Aug 16, 2018.

Share This Page

1. jrf

jrf Getting the hang of it

That is genius! Home automation to trigger sprinklers when motion detected on camera....

2. CCTVCam

CCTVCam Pulling my weight

Then when your local PD comes knocking to tell you of an incident next door, you soak him! Not going to end well....

Got to be careful how you do this.

3. Soladaddy

Soladaddy n3wb

Present day life in Florida. We get door checkers 4-5 times a year and recently had two teens who would vandalize cars with whatever they find in the car. One car they poured motor oil on the dash. Another they dumped out a bag of top soil and watered it in with a hose. Another had laundry detergent dumped on the seats. They the went old school and started puncturing tires. Finally were caught went they knocked a camera off a house. The first swing knocked the bullet style camera straight down and made it point right to his face from about 2 feet away. Gave a very nice mug shot before the second swing took it out.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    mat200, looney2ns, J Sigmo and 2 others like this.
  4. jrf

jrf Getting the hang of it

I don't have a sprinkler system...but if I did...I would have no issues setting that up while the house is armed. If the local PD walks through my yard while I'm away..they will get wet too.

5. J Sigmo

J Sigmo Getting comfortable

There isn't any legal problem triggering a sprinkler remotely or by motion detection. At least not around here.

People have problems with deer, in particular, and other pests munching (and damaging or killing) trees, hedges, gardens, potted plants, etc.

You can get these at several of the local "home stores" here:

Orbit Yard Enforcer Motion Activated Pest Deterrent Sprinkler-62100 - The Home Depot

Using your security cam setup to trigger a sprinkler would be no different. The cops wouldn't have any problem with it. Someone might get razzed back at the station, but they certainly wouldn't have any legal issues with this sort of thing, as long as it's not a lethal "man-trap" as defined in the law.

Now, you rig up a shotgun with a tripwire, and that's an entirely different story!

mat200 and jrf like this.
  6. Dudester

Dudester n3wb

Sure looks to me you may have fingerprints near top of door. Doesnt look like he wiped off up there where his hand was.

7. MrN1ce9uy

MrN1ce9uy Young grasshopper

What's better than Starlight?

8. mat200

mat200 IPCT Contributor

Hi @digdoug

Did you get a chance to upgrade your setup?

9. PeskyPete

PeskyPete n3wb

That's nice lighting. Is there a post with some description of what was used for this setup? Thanks!

10. mat200

mat200 IPCT Contributor

Hi @PeskyPete

Looks like the camera model is listed in the video title.

If you want the IP POE version look at the IPC-HxW52xx models or IPC-HxW42xx models.

Remember he has ambient light to help keep the cameras able to see a clear picture in color.

CCTVCam likes this.
  11. bigredfish

bigredfish Known around here

Yep, as @mat200 mentioned those are actually HDCVI versions of the 5231 IP camera bullet.

1200 lumen bulbs in the coachlights. Cams mounted at 7ft. Have since added a 3500 lumen motion spot at peak of garage at 13ft high

(dont forget to cahnge YT player to 1080p)

Parley, mat200 and aristobrat like this.
  12. aristobrat

aristobrat IPCT Contributor

Nice gang of cats (and Jeep)! :)

13. PeskyPete

PeskyPete n3wb

Thanks. I was aware of the camera and was specifically asking about the lighting setup. I guess I wasn't actually THAT specific... :) I was replying from my phone, which I am not the greatest user of.

Yes, to produce a colour image, you need good lighting. I currently use a 500W, 9500 lumins, halogen motion sensitive light, which does a pretty good job at the target area. I was wondering how his setup was compared to mine. Seems like he has 'always on' lighting too, which is not ideal for my use,as I am in a cul-de-sac and don't want to have such a bright light on throughout the night.
    My cam is a Dahua 2mp starlight.

14. PeskyPete

PeskyPete n3wb

Thanks for the lighting info. I am not familiar with the Dahua range of cameras and I recently pulled the trigger on the IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS
    I am a fairly experienced user, as I have had several (hikvision etc.) cams, plus I am a photographer. So I know that lighting, and distances are very important. I also gave up on IR for I.D.'ing perps a long time ago! I will read up on your camera model. Do not know what you mean by YT player? Is that a DVR? I use Blue Iris .
    Cheers!

15. aristobrat

aristobrat IPCT Contributor

@PeskyPete, your 2231 should perform similarly to his camera model. YT = YouTube. Sometimes when folks post links to YouTube videos, when others click to watch, YouTube on their computer will play the video in a low resolution which can make it seem like the camera didn't do a good job. :)

bigredfish and mat200 like this.
  16. PeskyPete

PeskyPete n3wb

YT = Youtube... Doh!
    Thanks.

mat200 likes this.
  17. j4co

j4co Pulling my weight

Full color starlight.