Web Server Set Up

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m attempting to set up the web server in BI options. I use the remote wizard and everything goes fine until I get to step just after it tests port 81. In that step I get a white check mark in a green circle. Next step is a white x in a red circle. This is where I get confused as what to do next.

I’m reading about port forwarding in BI to get this working but I thought this was not recommended here?

Last edited:

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. In the modem, under DMZ I entered the IP address and it worked. Is this an appropriate/safe way to do this? I can now access with iPad etc. Also should I set my ip to static?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. In the modem, under DMZ I entered the IP address and it worked. Is this an appropriate/safe way to do this? I can now access with iPad etc. Also should I set my ip to static?
Nooooooo...you have just allowed your PC on the net with no firewall... disable dmz...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Alternatively you could set your Blue Iris Web Server port to 40666, then map port 40666 in your router to the local ip address of your Blue Iris server. IMO, which will get you some (K*I*N*D*A) safe instant joy. The safe way is to access you BI server via a VPN and there's lots of VPN setup information here on ipct.com.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DMZ disabled thanks Mr. F

Q if the only way to to do this safety is a VPN then that’s what I’ll do, eventually. Right now I’m moving on to something a bit simpler. The rest of what you said is Greek to me, not surprisingly. As far as instant joy, that would be nice but that’s not happening on this journey.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Question on VPN. My iPhone can connect to the VPN on the Unifi USG, and I can ping the IP address of the PC which hosts the Blue Iris, but when I launch the Blue Iris app it says it is unable to make connection and to check the server address. I might have made things too complicated by creating a number of VLANS and networks, and adding rules. Also, I use the advanced feature within BI to white list IP addresses for access, and the VPN IP is white listed. Any suggestions appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Question on VPN. My iPhone can connect to the VPN on the Unifi USG, and I can ping the IP address of the PC which hosts the Blue Iris, but when I launch the Blue Iris app it says it is unable to make connection and to check the server address. I might have made things too complicated by creating a number of VLANS and networks, and adding rules. Also, I use the advanced feature within BI to white list IP addresses for access, and the VPN IP is white listed. Any suggestions appreciated.
enter the local ip address in both the wan and lan boxes in the app

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, fenderman. That did it! I'll still need to see about getting some sort of VPN for my neighbor, who currently uses the IE ActiveX connection via a port forward to reach some of my cameras. Then I can finally turn off this vulnerability.