Webserver Bandwidth Question....

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello again everyone, I have been experimenting with the "Rate Control" on the Blue Iris Webserver to try and find the optimal settings for bandwidth and resulting picture quality. By default, Blue Iris has "Limit bitrate" selected with a 512kbps max bitrate setup. The issue that I have, is that the picture quality is very poor when viewing cameras remotely. I've changed the settings to be more like 2000kbps and the picture looks much better. But has any one experimented with this and found settings that they like? I guess it's a bit subjective, but just curious to hear.

My second question is a bit more basic (I think I know this one, but need confirmation).

Regardless of what bitrate settings you have, Blue Iris is only "Streaming" the bits, when someone is logged in correct? So, if you set a high bitrate limit, it's only streaming those bits when someone is viewing the system? I assume it's "idle" otherwise and not chewing up bandwidth when no-one is watching?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello again everyone, I have been experimenting with the "Rate Control" on the Blue Iris Webserver to try and find the optimal settings for bandwidth and resulting picture quality. By default, Blue Iris has "Limit bitrate" selected with a 512kbps max bitrate setup. The issue that I have, is that the picture quality is very poor when viewing cameras remotely. I've changed the settings to be more like 2000kbps and the picture looks much better. But has any one experimented with this and found settings that they like? I guess it's a bit subjective, but just curious to hear.

My second question is a bit more basic (I think I know this one, but need confirmation).

Regardless of what bitrate settings you have, Blue Iris is only "Streaming" the bits, when someone is logged in correct? So, if you set a high bitrate limit, it's only streaming those bits when someone is viewing the system? I assume it's "idle" otherwise and not chewing up bandwidth when no-one is watching?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!
2048 seems to be the sweet spot....
The great thing about the webserver is you can set three distinct profiles, 0,1,2 so you can set one to low, medium and high...then select as needed...the mobile app and the webpage allow you to choose the webserver profile.
Yes, it only streams when you are connected.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman...you are awesome! Thanks for the quick reply and confirmation...I'm going to stick with 2048 on all my installs. I now have 3 :)

1. House in Seattle
2. House in Arizona
3. Makeshift install at a friends house who just had a litter of puppies from one of my dogs!

Cheers!