Wedge mount for turret cam (2332)

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
Assuming I ever get a working 2332, I want to mount it under the eve of my house. As it currently stands, the ~20* angle that the eve is on makes the Hikvision 2332 point down just a little too much. I found this mount from Nelly's for the 2132, but support at Nelly's says it won't fit the 2332. Any ideas? I would prefer to have a nice looking mount. I am saving the skill saw and a block of wood for my last resort.
TIA!
John

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you not just mount the camera upside down (weather shroud at the bottom and then rotate the eyeball 180)? Then you can point it up a little.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you not just mount the camera upside down (weather shroud at the bottom and then rotate the eyeball 180)? Then you can point it up a little.
Thanks for replying!
That is exactly what I want to do - mount the camera upside down on the bottom of my eve/overhang. The problem is that the camera will rotate 180*, but I need about 10-20* more. It is on a flat part of the roof, under a gutter. So the slope makes the camera point at the ground a little too much.
The wedge mount I linked in the first post would work great, if it fit my camera...

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Frank,

I'm confused. It's possible to point (and then rotate) the 2332 anywhere. That's the beauty of it. If you want to point in below horizontal then leave the shroud above the eyeball. (in your case that will be -20 degrees), if you want to make it 0 degrees, then flip the entire housing (shroud now at bottom) and rotate eyeball and push upwards 20 degrees. It'll now be horizontal despite wall being -20 degrees.

I've just played with mine and it's definitely possible. Got any pics and I'll draw on them for you if need be.

Cheers,

Del Boy

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you sure you need this? I don't think you do. That mount seems to me it's for a camera that lacks full axis movement and the 2332 does have it. You can mount the 2332 under an eave and rotate it in the plane of the eave, or point it up or down, or twist it; it handles all directions. Some dome cameras don't have all that movement. The eyeball turret cam is like your eye: you can look up/down, left/right, or you can bend your head with one ear on a shoulder to twist what you're looking at; you can get the same planes with the turret.

That aside, you could build a wedge easily out of some foam, like the 2" extruded foam they sell at home depot or lowes. Easier than out of wood. That stuff will decay over time from UV light, so you'd want to get some metal duct tape they sell at a hardware store and wrap it to prevent UV light getting to it. Then you'd be good to go. But I don't think you need to bother.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@LittleBrother and @Del Boy

Let me describe the angle of the mounting surface another way. Imagine I am mounting the 2332 on the bottom side of the minute hand of a clock. The angle would be at about 19 minutes.
I want to mount it upside down at 19 minutes and point it at 16 minutes.

As far as I can tell, the 2332 will not go beyond it's 180* design until you flip it over. Am I still missing something? I would go take a picture but it is raining.

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Let me describe the angle of the mounting surface another way. Imagine I am mounting the 2332 on the bottom side of the minute hand of a clock. The angle would be at about 19 minutes.

As far as I can tell, the 2332 will not go beyond it's 180* design until you flip it over. Am I still missing something? I would go take a picture but it is raining.
That makes sense now. So if minute is pointing at 19 and you mount to that, a normal install would have it pointing toward the 45 minute source or something, but for some reason you actually want it pointing back into itself, so with that idea you may indeed reach a limit on how much turn you can get in the eyeball :) In other words; you are mounting it on the equivalent of a flat eave under a house but you actually want to be able to watch the sky above the horizon. I can't recall, but looking at pics of the cameras I am thinking you are probably right--you cannot make them move other than the 180 and so to see above itself you'll need to wedge it. It might move more if you remove the fascia, but that wouldn't look good.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

I'm not following the issue here so I'm sure a picture would help. Is the problem that the eave will block the view? Pointing the camera on the 16 minute plane shouldn't be a problem unless the eave blocks the view. I just mounted two 2332s, one under an eave and the other on the side of my house. Once I loosened the locking screen in the mount, I seemed to have complete range of motion.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The eaves are not horizontal - but pointing down towards the grounds of the house at a slight angle, 20Deg.
So to have a near horizontal field of view, the eyeball needs to be able to rotate back such that if the mount had been horizontal it would be pointing a little up to the sky.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The eaves are not horizontal - but pointing down towards the grounds of the house at a slight angle, 20Deg.
So to have a near horizontal field of view, the eyeball needs to be able to rotate back such that if the mount had been horizontal it would be pointing a little up to the sky.
This is correct. Can anyone recommend something or somewhere to look? I want a more solid mount than foam. I have house paint, so I can paint anything to match. I am guessing I need to look outside of the camera industry.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I understand now... wasn't really thinking about it properly!

Hikvision AVT-1 is for the DS-2CD2332-i and is an inclined ceiling mount. 99% sure this is what you want.

Nellys seems to be using the old names - DS-1259ZJ is now AB110 (110 being the width).

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
break out the skill saw and block of wood.. pick a hardwood and give it a few coats of polyurethane and then paint it to match the house.

If your half way decent at woodworking it will look just fine and last long enough.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I understand now... wasn't really thinking about it properly!

Hikvision AVT-1 is for the DS-2CD2332-i and is an inclined ceiling mount. 99% sure this is what you want.

Nellys seems to be using the old names - DS-1259ZJ is now AB110 (110 being the width).
"Inclined ceiling" does sound right to me too! Searching google and hikvision doesn't net any results for that. Can you point me in the right direction?

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If out of wood the proper tool i think would be a table saw because you can make an angle cut and nail down the exact angle. Using a hand tool is going to be hellaciously difficult unless there is a technique I've not come upon before (possible).

And actually if you have a table saw, doing it out of foam is silly (my earlier recommendation). $150 or less buys a table saw and you may find uses for it in the future.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@frankred, the mount you posted is also an inclined ceiling mount (I've got the Hik book here) but it's for 2132.

Auto-correct error... google ABT-1 sorry.

Cheers,

Del Boy

P.S. Can't believe Nelly's didn't tell you this! And it's $10, so a little cheaper than a $150 table saw :)

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@frankred, the mount you posted is also an inclined ceiling mount (I've got the Hik book here) but it's for 2132.

Auto-correct error... google ABT-1 sorry.

Cheers,

Del Boy

P.S. Can't believe Nelly's didn't tell you this! And it's $10, so a little cheaper than a $150 table saw :)
Yes!! I knew that product had to exist. I don't find it on Nelly's and I don't see it for $10. But I do see it on Adorama for $20 with FS. Compared to $50 on Amazon, that's a bargain! I will hit Thanks when I am on my laptop.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't realize when I ordered that Adorama is backordered until "first week of August". They will ship to me after that. That will be quick compared to the 2332 I ordered one month ago. That saga still isn't resolved.

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Frank, pm Milkisbad he can get you the angled mount you are looking for. LTS has all the same stuff just private labeled Hikvision and you will have it in a couple of days.