Weird intermittent blackouts with dahua starlight 5231's

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Back to your car analogy, doing something that you know will make the car stall while on the highway wouldn't be very smart would it. If the car had a self destruct button would you push it?
In the case of the metaphorical car there are things your could do to increase it's performance, there's nothing you can do here.

Honestly the best thing you can do is going to be reset everything back to the default and then make small changes to the settings and try not to change too many things at once. Think of adjusting it more like a science experiment where you only change one thing at a time, keep some notes about what you did and whether it made the picture better or worse or introduced other problems. While you're at it do some searching to learn about what each setting does. Leave the frame rate and bit rate and sub stream resolution alone to identity if there's anything more than your settings causing your issue, otherwise you're just wasting everyone's time.

Life isn't a video game, high frame rates aren't very useful in most security applications they just result is a lot of wasted storage meaning you wipe out your recordings a lot sooner. 10-15 FPS is actually pretty common. You aren't likely to benefit from anything above 30fps. The substream's purpose is to provide a lower resolution image that can be used for things like displaying multiple cameras on the NVR's video output or when viewing all the cams at once on your computer without using up all the resources available.

The cameras and NVR each only have a certain amount of CPU and RAM. It's a balance between certain features as to what the camera or NVR can do. There are network and storage bottle necks too even if they're internal to the NVR. Only so many mbps of data are going to get written to the hard drive, this is arguably the most important spec on an NVR. When you enable motion detection for example it drives up the CPU usage. If you increase the frame rate or bit rate it increases the storage usage and CPU usage and network bandwidth used. Some codec are more storage intensive others are more cpu intensive. Some settings on the camera will actually disable others that it doesn't have the resources for. The composition of your image can even effect resource use and lead to camera blackouts in some cases. Your Pixel 2 XL has way more ram and processing power than the camera or nvr. There's likely some combination of settings that would work at 60fps, but trying to find it is completely pointless and would mean disabling all sorts of far more useful functions.

If you try to record only on motion detection you'll miss events you wish you recorded. Alternatives to the traditional motion detection like line crossing or intrusion result in far fewer false alerts.
First, thanks for taking the time to explain some things.

Your comments on the car analogy are the first time anyone here has implied that the cams are not actually INTENDED to be run at that high of frame rate. That's what i was looking for before, some confirmation on the specifications. If the 1080p @ 60fps rating is a theoretical image resolution and frame rate under only the most perfect ideal conditions, then that is something i wouldn't have known having no knowledge of this industry. All i know to do is compare it to things I'm familiar with, like TV and phone camera resolutions and frame rates.

Back to the troubleshooting:
If you look at my past posts, I've actually done precisely what you are recommending. Perhaps it's not clear, and it's definitely spread out over multiple posts now. But I've restored both cams to default settings and methodically gone through the image settings one by one so as to isolate a single variable (i have a bit of science background ;) ) during the troubleshooting. What i haven't done is restore the whole NVR to default, mainly because i really haven't changed many non-cam settings on it at all. Like i said before, i haven't played around too much. Almost all the settings I've changed have been in the camera image and encoding screens, both of which are back to default now. What you say is interesting about the MD. I can remove that and just do continuous to see how that responds, but IIRC i had the issue before setting MD. I actually forgot i planned to do continuous anyway since i now have 2MP cams and an NVR capable of up to 16?GB storage.

I get what you're saying in the hardware side. But I'm running two 2MP cameras on a 5216 4k. This thing is supposed to be capable of running 16 4k cams simultaneously. Do i think it actually could? Hell no. But i did expect it to not even bat an eyelash at a mere two 2MP cams, regardless of settings. The specs on the NVR say it should be able to handle this no problem, which is why all my questing is coming about. I wasn't only looking at the cam specs.

Not tonight, probably tomorrow night, I'm going to reset all the MD settings and go back to continuous. If that has no affect, I'm going to upgrade firmware (assuming it needs to be). Then if all else fails, I'll fully restore the NVR. That removes all doubt on the software end, right?

Also, do you happen to have any feedback on what exactly is going on with those light artifacts in the backdoor cam? Any way to get rid of them?

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Back to your car analogy, doing something that you know will make the car stall while on the highway wouldn't be very smart would it. If the car had a self destruct button would you push it?
In the case of the metaphorical car there are things your could do to increase it's performance, there's nothing you can do here.

Honestly the best thing you can do is going to be reset everything back to the default and then make small changes to the settings and try not to change too many things at once. Think of adjusting it more like a science experiment where you only change one thing at a time, keep some notes about what you did and whether it made the picture better or worse or introduced other problems. While you're at it do some searching to learn about what each setting does. Leave the frame rate and bit rate and sub stream resolution alone to identity if there's anything more than your settings causing your issue, otherwise you're just wasting everyone's time.

Life isn't a video game, high frame rates aren't very useful in most security applications they just result is a lot of wasted storage meaning you wipe out your recordings a lot sooner. 10-15 FPS is actually pretty common. You aren't likely to benefit from anything above 30fps. The substream's purpose is to provide a lower resolution image that can be used for things like displaying multiple cameras on the NVR's video output or when viewing all the cams at once on your computer without using up all the resources available.

The cameras and NVR each only have a certain amount of CPU and RAM. It's a balance between certain features as to what the camera or NVR can do. There are network and storage bottle necks too even if they're internal to the NVR. Only so many mbps of data are going to get written to the hard drive, this is arguably the most important spec on an NVR. When you enable motion detection for example it drives up the CPU usage. If you increase the frame rate or bit rate it increases the storage usage and CPU usage and network bandwidth used. Some codec are more storage intensive others are more cpu intensive. Some settings on the camera will actually disable others that it doesn't have the resources for. The composition of your image can even effect resource use and lead to camera blackouts in some cases. Your Pixel 2 XL has way more ram and processing power than the camera or nvr. There's likely some combination of settings that would work at 60fps, but trying to find it is completely pointless and would mean disabling all sorts of far more useful functions.

If you try to record only on motion detection you'll miss events you wish you recorded. Alternatives to the traditional motion detection like line crossing or intrusion result in far fewer false alerts.
Ya Know I had issues like he was having, i had to make sure in my camera encoding settings that the motion stream and continuous stream had the exact same settings. If you change the main or Continuous stream, it will not always change the motion or alarm stream. Check the drop down box and make sure the bitrate, fps and resolution is the same.

main.JPG

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ya Know I had issues like he was having, i had to make sure in my camera encoding settings that the motion stream and continuous stream had the exact same settings. If you change the main or Continuous stream, it will not always change the motion or alarm stream. Check the drop down box and make sure the bitrate, fps and resolution is the same.

View attachment 23402
I don't think I've checked this yet. I'll try it and report back. Thanks.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I get what you're saying in the hardware side. But I'm running two 2MP cameras on a 5216 4k. This thing is supposed to be capable of running 16 4k cams simultaneously. Do i think it actually could? Hell no. But i did expect it to not even bat an eyelash at a mere two 2MP cams, regardless of settings. The specs on the NVR say it should be able to handle this no problem, which is why all my questing is coming about. I wasn't only looking at the cam specs.
There are settings that are incompatible that the software doesn't always keep you from applying. Regarding the NVR specs it can handle a maximum of 320mbps incoming @ 20mbps / channel according to the specs. There's also a maximum of 12mp per channel (more than 4k). Should it handle 16 4k cameras? yes but certainly not if you crank the settings. In many applications high megapixel cameras are over rated.

There's a lot of information on this forum, it just isn't always easy to find what you're looking for quickly.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are settings that are incompatible that the software doesn't always keep you from applying. Regarding the NVR specs it can handle a maximum of 320mbps incoming @ 20mbps / channel according to the specs. There's also a maximum of 12mp per channel (more than 4k). Should it handle 16 4k cameras? yes but certainly not if you crank the settings. In many applications high megapixel cameras are over rated.

There's a lot of information on this forum, it just isn't always easy to find what you're looking for quickly.
That last statement is very true. There's a noticeable lack of sticky threads in this forum that would normally be guiding novices like myself. Even stickies for non-specific or non-technical topics is a huge help. And I've also found that the search function turns up few or zero results on the most basic queries. So that just basically leaves me the option of browsing random threads, hoping to find something useful or pertinent. I've been looking to YouTube for some of the NVR stuff, but for whatever reason every video i find has no audio. Like it intentionally has no audio, no narration/commentation. It's the weirdest thing. If this damn NVR just came with a real user manual, it might not be such a mystery what everything is. Then I'd just need to tackle the networking part, which is still pretty foreign to me. I got the cams setup on both tinycam and gDMSS lite locally. If I've learned one thing here about remote access, it's don't forward ports. So I'm waiting till i figure out how to setup a VPN before I try to use remote access. I have a nighthawk AC1900, which from what i understand makes setting up a VPN pretty easy, so that's good at least. Some of my plans for the weekend fell through, so I'm going to have some more time to work on this stuff. Got a new 4k TV for the NVR that I'm picking up tonight, then I'm going to try those last few steps i mentioned in the past couple posts.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Re: search there are some options you need to pay attention to

Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads

Search this forum only is on by default and limits your results to what ever forum you're currently browsing.

The site does have a wiki now (if you can find it) but it's a work in progress and pretty much only has information about blue iris at this point.

Sometimes it's easier to find what you're looking for using the site operator on google. eg. site:ipcamtalk.com camera blackout

There is an NVR manual and it's only 384 pages and may not always match up to your exact model or software version: http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/download/dhi-nvr5216_5232-16p-4ks2_user_manual_20160822.pdf
There's also USA/ - Dahua Wiki

This thread is also a sticky: Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

View attachment 23402
^^^THIS was my issue with the blackouts. I switched everything to the exact same settings, and now it doesn't blackout anymore. Even with both cams set to 50fps @ 4096kbs, no blackouts. Thank you!!!

I discovered something else interesting while messing with this setting though. First of all, according to tinycam, I'm still not exceeding 25fps even when set above that. Now i don't know how accurate tinycam is, but i don't know how else to monitor the instantaneous frame rate of the cams. The settings that i changed were changed via the web UI, instead of the NVR like i usually do. When i went back to the NVR to test something, i noticed that all the settings were correctly saved except frame rate. Frame rate was set to 25 for everything. When i tried to reset them to 50 on the NVR, i discovered i no longer had the option. I had 1-25 instead of 1-50 like before. Even after restoring both cams to default settings again, i still only had the option for a max frame rate of 25. It wasn't until after i flipped through the General-MD-Alarm settings multiple times that the 26-50 options magically appeared. I did not change a single other thing before this. This must be some glitch. Going to update firmware tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes the issue. But glad the blackouts are gone!

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: search there are some options you need to pay attention to

Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads

Search this forum only is on by default and limits your results to what ever forum you're currently browsing.

The site does have a wiki now (if you can find it) but it's a work in progress and pretty much only has information about blue iris at this point.

Sometimes it's easier to find what you're looking for using the site operator on google. eg. site:ipcamtalk.com camera blackout

There is an NVR manual and it's only 384 pages and may not always match up to your exact model or software version: http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/download/dhi-nvr5216_5232-16p-4ks2_user_manual_20160822.pdf
There's also USA/ - Dahua Wiki

This thread is also a sticky: Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs
Thank you very much. That dahua documentation should be very helpful. And I'll read through that sticky you linked.

As far as searching is concerned, I'm quite well versed in forum querying. I'm a member of countless other [non-ipcam] forums - have been since the 90s. I just have a lot of problems with this forum for some reason. I'm sure it's partly to do with my lack of knowledge in terminology and common shorthand. But there are many things I've searched that should absolutely have come up, and I've combed over the search settings carefully. I don't know what it is. I mean if it works fine for everyone else, then clearly the problem is somewhere in my end. Just not sure where to go from here to fix it. I've used Google site search before as you suggested, but that can be kind of frustrating to use because of the limited search options. I will still use it though from time to time I'm sure, if i can't get the forum search to function properly.

But anyways, thanks for that other info. That dahua manual is a god damn clusterfuck, but i do see some useful info in it.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^THIS was my issue with the blackouts. I switched everything to the exact same settings, and now it doesn't blackout anymore. Even with both cams set to 50fps @ 4096kbs, no blackouts. Thank you!!!

I discovered something else interesting while messing with this setting though. First of all, according to tinycam, I'm still not exceeding 25fps even when set above that. Now i don't know how accurate tinycam is, but i don't know how else to monitor the instantaneous frame rate of the cams. The settings that i changed were changed via the web UI, instead of the NVR like i usually do. When i went back to the NVR to test something, i noticed that all the settings were correctly saved except frame rate. Frame rate was set to 25 for everything. When i tried to reset them to 50 on the NVR, i discovered i no longer had the option. I had 1-25 instead of 1-50 like before. Even after restoring both cams to default settings again, i still only had the option for a max frame rate of 25. It wasn't until after i flipped through the General-MD-Alarm settings multiple times that the 26-50 options magically appeared. I did not change a single other thing before this. This must be some glitch. Going to update firmware tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes the issue. But glad the blackouts are gone!

Not sure why in the world you want 50fps but these consumer grade NVR's are really not geared to do that with any accuracy. If you see the numbers changing it because another setting has changed like resolution or bitrate, The NVR is auto adjusting those settings back down so limits are not exceeded. As @tangent said before, their is only enough CPU and bandwidth allotted per channel, Add to it the number of different end sellers cooking their own version of firmware and you have many NVR's that do not do what they say they can do. You did not say where you purchased your NVR from but I will advise you make damn sure you contact the seller for firmware updates. I have a few NVR's that I have upgraded and lost a bunch of functions and then only I find out I cannot downgrade.
I have lost IVS after upgrading and cannot upgrade AT ALL. This was from customized firmware the reseller had installed. Glad I did not use those functions because most of my setups run 24/7 lookback cams in commercial settings. Glad I could help with the other Issue.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure why in the world you want 50fps but these consumer grade NVR's are really not geared to do that with any accuracy. If you see the numbers changing it because another setting has changed like resolution or bitrate, The NVR is auto adjusting those settings back down so limits are not exceeded. As @tangent said before, their is only enough CPU and bandwidth allotted per channel, Add to it the number of different end sellers cooking their own version of firmware and you have many NVR's that do not do what they say they can do. You did not say where you purchased your NVR from but I will advise you make damn sure you contact the seller for firmware updates. I have a few NVR's that I have upgraded and lost a bunch of functions and then only I find out I cannot downgrade.
I have lost IVS after upgrading and cannot upgrade AT ALL. This was from customized firmware the reseller had installed. Glad I did not use those functions because most of my setups run 24/7 lookback cams in commercial settings. Glad I could help with the other Issue.
So you're telling me that these NVRs come with the ability to set cams at up to 50fps, but there's no way to run them that high and be stable? Even with any combination of ipcam, wiring, and HDD on the market today and any combo of NVR settings (outside of frame rate) being optimized, it still will not run correctly at 50fps? That just sounds absurd to me. Why would the option even be there? It would be one thing if they simply didn't even have the option to run beyond 25fps period, but the option is there... usually, at least. Is that an oversight on Dahua' s part?

As for the issue with the 26-50fps options disappearing, there was absolutely zero difference in the other settings. I made certain of that. If the NVR is auto-adjusting because it didn't like the 50fps, why didn't it auto-adjust when I set the same exact setting via the NVR UI? It may well be that the NVR is auto-adjusting as you say, but then that means the NVR UI has some glitch that doesn't trigger the auto-adjust or there's some other communication issue causing the discrepancy between the web UI and NVR UI. This problem never happened once using just the NVR UI. It wasn't until I tried using the web UI that the problem began. So maybe that could even mean its an issue with the web UI. I don't know.

I bought all my equipment through Andy (EMPIRETECANDY). I'm curious as to why you say I need to get my firmware updates from him. Why can't they just be downloaded from Dahua's website?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok , here is the thing, what I need out of my equipment these NVR's are fine, I can only tell you my real world experiences with the Brand of gear. Every single time I get a NVR its a different glitch or it may not get along with certain cams . The list go on and you have to work around it, sometimes firmware solves it and sometimes it does not. I have dealt with MANY glitches in these NVR's and cams over the last few years however i have NOT purchased through Empire candy but judging from what the Gang here says is that his NVR's will accept the firmware updates, some on line resellers use different firmware and you might brick your NVR or disable functions, that was a word of warning to you because I misses who you purchased from. I have seen webgui functions change when the NVR's do not after settings are made. Would I expect you to run at 50fps? and not run into issues, most likely not but I say go for it and let the group know how you make out. I will not say say it cannot be done but not too many people have a need for it here and most people will tell you to keep it 15 to 25. I usually keep mine around 15 to 25 and If I really needed that much detail in 1 second of video I would NOT be using consumer grade hardware to begin with.
Good luck on your testing

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok , here is the thing, what I need out of my equipment these NVR's are fine, I can only tell you my real world experiences with the Brand of gear. Every single time I get a NVR its a different glitch or it may not get along with certain cams . The list go on and you have to work around it, sometimes firmware solves it and sometimes it does not. I have dealt with MANY glitches in these NVR's and cams over the last few years however i have NOT purchased through Empire candy but judging from what the Gang here says is that his NVR's will accept the firmware updates, some on line resellers use different firmware and you might brick your NVR or disable functions, that was a word of warning to you because I misses who you purchased from. I have seen webgui functions change when the NVR's do not after settings are made. Would I expect you to run at 50fps? and not run into issues, most likely not but I say go for it and let the group know how you make out. I will not say say it cannot be done but not too many people have a need for it here and most people will tell you to keep it 15 to 25. I usually keep mine around 15 to 25 and If I really needed that much detail in 1 second of video I would NOT be using consumer grade hardware to begin with.
Good luck on your testing
This is the kind of information i wish I'd had prior to purchasing the equipment. Because without knowing this, I'm going to treat it like any other reasonable person would treat a piece of electronic equipment... I'm going to expect it to function properly and meet the specifications stated by the manufacturer. Unfortunately I was led to believe this was a pretty solid NVR. I'd never heard about any of the numerous glitches that you speak of when reading or in recommendations i received. On top of that, a poe NVR is a self-contained system requiring nothing more than the cams and wiring, so it's cheaper than the PC route and presumably easier for a noob like myself. Perhaps if i could do it over I'd just try building a PC. But now i have this $330 NVR with a $120 HDD, so I'm going to have to make due.

That said, do i need to run at 50fps? Of course not. I was just under the impression that i could, so i figured why not? It's my storage, i can use it up as a please. But now it's apparent that 50fps really isn't an option for me, so I'll just aim for something more traditional like in the range you use.

As for firmware, I'll probably contact Andy just to be safe. Everybody and their mother on this board talks about Andy like he's their best friend, so i just assumed you knew who i was talking about. I'd planned to just download firmware and upgrade today, but i guess it'll have to wait for Andy's reply.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
As far as TinyCam saying they're not hitting anywhere near those rates, if you're hooked up to TinyCam on a less-than-stellar mobile device, particularly with wifi, it's almost certainly the device that's not capable of displaying the full frame rate of the cameras. Instead of just watching the framerate info on the main camera screen, go into Manage Cameras, click on a camera, choose edit, and then click on camera status. It'll give you more info, including dropped frame percentage. Also, try going into Settings/Video settings and toggling between software/hardware/hardware+ decoding. On my phone, hardware is a bit better than software but hardware+ sucks.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you lookup the exact model number you are interested in here: Dahua Technology - Leading Video Surveillance Solution Provider with CCTV Products, IP Camera, PTZ, HDCVI products, NVR, Intelligent Building, Intelligent Transportation and Software - Dahua Technology and can't find it, then it is likely the product is a China Region product, and you should avoid it.
Lots of the security cams on Amazon or Ebay are China Region and in general have hacked firmware to make them English.
So technically if you search the cam model number that's on the box (IPC-HDW5231RP-Z), nothing comes up. But I googled it and found an ipcamtalk thread including EMPIRETECANDY, nayr, and fenderman among others that states the "P" just stands for PAL, which obviously then means this is a PAL cam. It should have been NTSC, but I guess it's not that big of deal, right? Can it be reflashed to NTSC?

The NVR model on the box is exactly that of Dahua's website (NVR5216-16P-4KS2).

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As far as TinyCam saying they're not hitting anywhere near those rates, if you're hooked up to TinyCam on a less-than-stellar mobile device, particularly with wifi, it's almost certainly the device that's not capable of displaying the full frame rate of the cameras. Instead of just watching the framerate info on the main camera screen, go into Manage Cameras, click on a camera, choose edit, and then click on camera status. It'll give you more info, including dropped frame percentage. Also, try going into Settings/Video settings and toggling between software/hardware/hardware+ decoding. On my phone, hardware is a bit better than software but hardware+ sucks.
Omg that's it. It said i was dropping frames and to switch to hardware decoder. Now it's showing 50fps. So i guess it was working fine, but my phone just couldn't display it. Is there no way to view this kind of information on the NVR? I feel like that should be something you can do for troubleshooting purposes, instead of having to rely on a third party app.

For the record, i get 160-220Mbps down on my 5ghz network, so that should never be a problem unless Comcast is down.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Omg that's it. It said i was dropping frames and to switch to hardware decoder. Now it's showing 50fps. So i guess it was working fine, but my phone just couldn't display it. Is there no way to view this kind of information on the NVR? I feel like that should be something you can do for troubleshooting purposes, instead of having to rely on a third party app.

For the record, i get 160-220Mbps down on my 5ghz network, so that should never be a problem unless Comcast is down.

Ultimately it really is pretty pointless to record at 50 or 60fps (that limit differs between the pal and ntsc firmware). If you're viewing remotely, it's your upload bandwidth not the download that matters but I thought you didn't have your vpn access set up yet. I was going to suggest you try exporting a clip and checking what vlc or some other program said about it (for that matter you could actually do that with the live stream). There are a lot of settings on the cameras and nvr that wouldn't work so great cranked to their extremes.

Generally speaking, you need to be more careful installing firmware on devices like this than say windows update.

Ultimately you've got bigger issues like the camera looking through your window.
This is the kind of information i wish I'd had prior to purchasing the equipment. Because without knowing this, I'm going to treat it like any other reasonable person would treat a piece of electronic equipment... I'm going to expect it to function properly and meet the specifications stated by the manufacturer. Unfortunately I was led to believe this was a pretty solid NVR. I'd never heard about any of the numerous glitches that you speak of when reading or in recommendations i received. On top of that, a poe NVR is a self-contained system requiring nothing more than the cams and wiring, so it's cheaper than the PC route and presumably easier for a noob like myself. Perhaps if i could do it over I'd just try building a PC. But now i have this $330 NVR with a $120 HDD, so I'm going to have to make due.

That said, do i need to run at 50fps? Of course not. I was just under the impression that i could, so i figured why not? It's my storage, i can use it up as a please. But now it's apparent that 50fps really isn't an option for me, so I'll just aim for something more traditional like in the range you use.
It is a pretty solid NVR, there are a lot of products that are far less capable and far buggier. If you were to go the PC route building it yourself is not the cheapest option. The cheapest option (by about $150-250 less) is a refurbished 6 series or newer i5 or i7 from dell, lenovo, or hp.

If you haven't tried the SmartPSS software from Dahua you probably should.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ultimately it really is pretty pointless to record at 50 or 60fps (that limit differs between the pal and ntsc firmware). If you're viewing remotely, it's your upload bandwidth not the download that matters but I thought you didn't have your vpn access set up yet. I was going to suggest you try exporting a clip and checking what vlc or some other program said about it (for that matter you could actually do that with the live stream). There are a lot of settings on the cameras and nvr that wouldn't work so great cranked to their extremes.

Generally speaking, you need to be more careful installing firmware on devices like this than say windows update.

Ultimately you've got bigger issues like the camera looking through your window.

It is a pretty solid NVR, there are a lot of products that are far less capable and far buggier. If you were to go the PC route building it yourself is not the cheapest option. The cheapest option (by about $150-250 less) is a refurbished 6 series or newer i5 or i7 from dell, lenovo, or hp.

If you haven't tried the SmartPSS software from Dahua you probably should.
I installed a third camera today, out back but up by the 2nd floor window. Wanted an overview of my back pad and the alley. And i set all 3 cams to 25fps, h.265, continuous record, and switched the audio to AAC with 48k sampling after doing some reading on that. Also turned off the substream as it's not necessary at the moment. On that note, no I'm not viewing remotely in the networking sense, with port forwarding or VPN. I'm connecting to my cams on my phone and tablet via WLAN. The NVR is on the LAN, so the only bottleneck in the feed transmission would be from router to phone/tablet. But i get 150-200Mbps down on those devices on my 5ghz network, so there is no bottleneck. Once I'm actually remotely viewing and the NVR has to upload the videos to somewhere outside the network, things may be different and i may need to tweak settings.

No word from Andy on the firmware. Will wait to hear back before doing anything.

Again, the camera in the window was just a quick thing cause some punk kids egged my house. I'm hoping to get it plus my fourth cam permanently installed out front tomorrow.

I have no idea what SmartPSS is, so I'll have to look into that.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Re: wifi

If you try to do too much over wifi you may have problems. I presume your speed numbers come from a internet speed test. Keep in mind that with a live video stream there's nothing to buffer, whereas your netflix stream might have 100mb of data ahead of what's playing already downloaded. Speed matters but jitter is what will drive you mad.

Smart PSS:
- Dahua Technology