Weird intermittent blackouts with dahua starlight 5231's

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've installed 1 of my 5231's and the other is connected but only propped up in my window. Both are connected to dahua 5216 nvr via POE. Both cameras intermittently go almost completely dark, darker than the actual image being recorded. It happens day and night, and sometimes it stops temporarily for no apparent reason. I tried messing around with the camera settings, but it didn't seem to help. Has anyone else had this issue? Any idea what it is or how to fix it?

Video of issue:

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've installed 1 of my 5231's and the other is connected but only propped up in my window. Both are connected to dahua 5216 nvr via POE. Both cameras intermittently go almost completely dark, darker than the actual image being recorded. It happens day and night, and sometimes it stops temporarily for no apparent reason. I tried messing around with the camera settings, but it didn't seem to help. Has anyone else had this issue? Any idea what it is or how to fix it?

Video of issue:

are both cameras pointed out the window or just one? are the fixed in day mode or set to auto?

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
are both cameras pointed out the window or just one? are the fixed in day mode or set to auto?
Only the front one is pointed out a window (and screen), and it is fixed in day mode because the IR causes a reflection on the glass. The other is outside, under cover from rain, but with nothing in front of the lens. I assume the weird rain-like streaks in that camera are from the led street lights messing with it? That camera is on auto (day/night).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Only the front one is pointed out a window (and screen), and it is fixed in day mode because the IR causes a reflection on the glass. The other is outside, under cover from rain, but with nothing in front of the lens. I assume the weird rain-like streaks in that camera are from the led street lights messing with it? That camera is on auto (day/night).

are you running the latest firmware?
try setting the exposure to manual and see if it helps..

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
are you running the latest firmware?
try setting the exposure to manual and see if it helps..
I did not check firmware versions. I just got the equipment a couple weeks ago if that means anything. I'll have to check on that later as I'm about to head to bed. But am I correct in my understanding that firmware updates can only be done via USB? Or is there a way to do OTA updates directly on the NVR or web UI updates?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did not check firmware versions. I just got the equipment a couple weeks ago if that means anything. I'll have to check on that later as I'm about to head to bed. But am I correct in my understanding that firmware updates can only be done via USB? Or is there a way to do OTA updates directly on the NVR or web UI updates?

I dont know if dahua nvr's can pass firmware to the cameras as I dont use standalone units...since its fairly new, I would hold off on any updates...try manually setting the exposure...

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I dont know if dahua nvr's can pass firmware to the cameras as I dont use standalone units...since its fairly new, I would hold off on any updates...try manually setting the exposure...
Ok, I'll try messing around with the exposure... Hopefully i can get back to it tomorrow night. Unfortunately, i haven't had a lot of free time to set these up.

Since you don't use standalone units, I'm assuming you use a computer with dedicated software which probably has its own mobile app. But if you by chance use or have used tinycam pro with these cams, what camera model do you select during setup since the 5231 isn't on the list? I can get the feed to work by simply selecting another HDW cam model from the list, but i didn't know if there was a better/best option. I believe right now i have both connected through the NVR (ONVIF). I also just noticed that the blackouts are occurring when the fps drops very low (single digits). The blackouts are showing up on the TV connected to the NVR as well, so it's not a tinycam issue by any means. But i guess something is causing the fps the jump up and down and dip low enough to cause some weird blackout.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you tested with known good purchased network cables?

In tiny cam, use scan network.

Dahua has their own remote apps. iDMSS & gDMSS | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology
Thanks.

The backdoor cam is on the same ~150' run of CAT6 that i had my reolink on. That camera never looked good in low light (the reolink). It was really staticy, and all my troubleshooting pointed to it being the equipment. Especially since the one in my room on the reolink supplied cable also began doing the same thing after some time. This is also a different issue, the blackout that is. Though, i could see that weird rain looking markings in the dahua cam being related if someone were to make that case.

The one in my room facing out the window is connected to the NVR with 2 monoprice CAT6 cables (3' + 5'), connected with monoprice CAT6 coupler. Not a permanent install by any means. Had some punk kids egg my house on Halloween, so i threw that up as a quick way to monitor for the time being. These cables were brand new in package. Opened them just for this purpose.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like the exposure is trying to change for whatever reason. Going "black" like that is what happens when they flip between schedule, sensing, sensitivity, shutter settings, etc., that affect that. They're not really going dark - you can still see the brighter points of light - they're just taking some time to readjust after that change. Might trying setting things on the cams and NVR back to defaults and go from there. Likely something in the way they're configured. It would be odd for both to be doing that exact same thing based on wiring or a hardware problem.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, there's probably a hint in how the time and name overlays appear/disappear along with whatever is happening. I don't know the NVR side well enough to guess what that might be but the cams seem to be reacting to something happening at the NVR end. Since it's affecting both cams, that also would make sense.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like the exposure is trying to change for whatever reason. Going "black" like that is what happens when they flip between schedule, sensing, sensitivity, shutter settings, etc., that affect that. They're not really going dark - you can still see the brighter points of light - they're just taking some time to readjust after that change. Might trying setting things on the cams and NVR back to defaults and go from there. Likely something in the way they're configured. It would be odd for both to be doing that exact same thing based on wiring or a hardware problem.
There are like a million settings lol Can anything affect it, like main resolution/FPS, sub resolution/FPS, motion settings, mirror/rotate, prerecord, alarms, etc.? Or are you strictly referring to settings related to the image?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
There are like a million settings lol Can anything affect it, like main resolution/FPS, sub resolution/FPS, motion settings, mirror/rotate, prerecord, alarms, etc.? Or are you strictly referring to settings related to the image?
Yeah, that's why I said back to defaults. If I had to guess, it looks like maybe something on the NVR side is causing some change (enough or too little light) so things flip. But then the cams say Nah... and flip back. Or something generally along those lines. As I said, I don't know the NVR side but I'd probably start there. Maybe look at the sensitivity settings for day/night change and other things like that. Might try forcing a schedule for day/night if you're now relying on an auto setting. Given the image in your video, maybe you're right at the edge between being too dark but also having some brighter lights so it's confused between the settings on the NVR and the cams. Again I'm just guessing here based on how it's acting in your vid. You don't seem to ever be losing the connection to the cams so that to me suggests settings vs connectivity.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll look into the setting as soon as I can get a chance. Unfortunately I'm slammed with work and still at the office. Depending on how late I get home tonight, I'll see if I have time to mess around a little with the settings.

What I can say for sure now is that (1) the window cam is currently forced-day and still doing this blackout thing (tried switching to auto, but it didn't stop the problem), and (2) the issue occurs in broad daylight with plenty of light hitting the cams sensor, so I don't think it's a lowlight issue. I recently changed the motion sensor sensitivity and threshold for multiple zones on both cams, but the problem existed on the window cam prior to me ever touching any of those settings (I set the motion detection setting immediately after installing the back door cam, so no benchmark on that one). I really haven't gone too crazy with NVR settings as I don't know much about it yet, and I haven't had much time to play around. I know first thing I did was max out recording resolution and FPS on the main and sub1 streams, and I set the "outdoor" or "street light" image setting for the cam out back with that glaring LED street light right in front of it. I already tried changing the outdoor/streetlight/auto/etc. settings to no avail, so I'm assuming that's not the culprit. I supposed I could try dropping the resolution and/or FPS, but that kinda sucks if I can't get the quality I'm expecting out of these cams.

May be a stupid question, but does RJ45 pinout wiring choice matter with these cams? I have all mine wired T-568B, and I assume that's what the monoprice cables are too though I haven't confirmed.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
May be a stupid question, but does RJ45 pinout wiring choice matter with these cams? I have all mine wired T-568B, and I assume that's what the monoprice cables are too though I haven't confirmed.
568B is fine. Doesn't matter as long as both ends are done the same way.

I'd eliminate variables and go back to defaults and see if you have the same issue. If not, then you'll know that it's some setting and can start changing things again from there. If so, then you can look for some other reason.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recently had a switch go bad on me... thus I am wondering about power, perhaps you can test to see if it is a power related issue?

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So i set the back door camera back to default settings, and the blackouts stopped on that camera. Then i tried going through the differences in settings between the window camera and back camera one by one to try to isolate the issue. It looks like the problem is the frame rate. If i go much higher than 25 FPS, the frame rate doesn't hold constant, and it blacks out when the frame rate dips too low. These cameras are supposed to do 1080p @ 60 FPS, so something isn't right here. Could this be related to power delivery as the last poster suggested? Seems unlikely that i could have 2 bad cameras, so it seems it may be on the NVR end if it's not still something with settings or firmware.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So i set the back door camera back to default settings, and the blackouts stopped on that camera. Then i tried going through the differences in settings between the window camera and back camera one by one to try to isolate the issue. It looks like the problem is the frame rate. If i go much higher than 25 FPS, the frame rate doesn't hold constant, and it blacks out when the frame rate dips too low. These cameras are supposed to do 1080p @ 60 FPS, so something isn't right here. Could this be related to power delivery as the last poster suggested? Seems unlikely that i could have 2 bad cameras, so it seems it may be on the NVR end if it's not still something with settings or firmware.

Hi Big Ry,

You may have PAL firmware on them.. update the camera firmware to NTSC if you need 30fps ( PAL max = 25fps )

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score

Mine seems to run fine @ 30 even though I have the PAL software on them. Not actually running at 30 (BI shows ~20-ish with it set to CBR) but I can choose that setting and let it run and I don't get the drop-outs like you're seeing. Don't have mine running through your NVR though.

BUT I can replicate what you're seeing. If you change the FPS setting on the cam to anything, then hit save, it will momentarily switch to black with only the brightest spots showing in the exact same way. So you're probably on the right track.

You can check whether they're PAL or NTSC under System > General btw.

Really not much need to run surveillance cams at more than about 15 unless you have some unusual circumstances. From your vid doesn't seem so.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well if i can do 60 FPS, why not? It looks so much smoother. And it can mean the difference between catching the license plate of a speeding car and not. Just saying, if they're rated to do 60, I'd prefer to set them that high... at least for now. But it worries me that they seem to be struggling at anything above 25, and now you're saying yours aren't reaching the 30 they're set at? So perhaps this is normal for these starlights? They're popular enough, you'd think someone would have thrown this out there by now if that were the case, or maybe nobody ever runs into the issue cause nobody ever bothers trying to run above 30 FPS lol.

As far as PAL vs NTSC, I assumed everything was shipped with US standards (NTSC) per my discussions with Andy. But if not and if it's just a matter of flashing new firmware, then that's no big deal to just upgrade. I can tell you that the camera settings default to 25 FPS, and 25 FPS is the maximum for the substream. However, there are both PAL and NTSC resolutions available in the drop down menu for main and substream resolutions, so i can't say for sure what it is. I'm just going to have to check on this one.