Weird problem

MStevenT

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2232-I5 web camera. It has been working fine for a long time, but suddenly today we could not get live view from any PC or mobile, and we could not access it via our Synology NAS either. The stupid thing is, I can log into the camera directly via it's IP address and I can see, and modify it, via SADP. I tried changing passwords and IP address, but nothing makes any difference. I have rebooted the camera, and the router, no help. Oh, and another thing - when I log in directly, it tells me to install webcomponents in the live view screen, I have downloaded and installed webcomponents several times but it keeps asking for them and won't show me live view!

Does anyone have any clever ideas?

MStevenT

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the input. I have seen this news but I don't believe it affects me. All the parameters in SADP are as I set them, no reset to default. I work in IT security and am reasonably confident I have not been hacked.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have downloaded and installed webcomponents several times but it keeps asking for them and won't show me live view!
IE11? Not Edge.
it tells me to install webcomponents in the live view screen,
Has the IP address changed?
am reasonably confident I have not been hacked.
With a Hikvision camera - that's actually a contradiction in terms.
What's the camera firmware version?

Suggestion -
See if the RTSP stream is available, to confirm not a sensor failure, easily done with ONVIF Device Manager (Live Video page) from sourceforge.net
Reset to defaults, see if that changes anything.

MStevenT

n3wb
Reaction score
Chrome not IE11 or Edge - Not showing the image in one browser I can understand but asking for a software download?
The IP address and all other parameters were the same (that's why I say hacking unlikely - also I don't have one of the affected routers).
I don't have the firmware version I am no longer at the location where the camera is installed- it is non-upgradeable, so it is factory default.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Chrome not IE11 or Edge
Chrome hasn't supported the NPAPI plugins for quite a while - so you won't get Live View video using Chrome.
Edge has never supported them.
And IE11 will be OK, but will request either a plugin download or permission to run if the IP address has not been used with the plugin previously.

it is non-upgradeable, so it is factory default.
That suggests it's running older backdoor-vulnerable firmware. If you wanted to upgrade to backdoor-fixed firmware, there are ways to do that.

MStevenT

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks, but s long as no one actually f***s up my camera, I don't care who watches pictures of the drive to my mountain cottage :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks, but s long as no one actually f***s up my camera, I don't care who watches pictures of the drive to my mountain cottage :)
except that they now have direct access to your network. think a bit...hmmmm what could they possibly find there....

MStevenT

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, realistically, they don't have access to anything, because to get to the camera, they first have to get into my network, which is not straightforward. I have no reason to believe that I have been hacked. I have a problem accessing my camera via my network, but when I access it directly, all the parameters are unchanged. I posted to this forum because last time I had a similar problem I thrashed around for days until something I did fixed it. So I thought maybe someone has seen this before and could give me a shortcut to fixing it. I work in IT security, so I don't need scare stories or paranoia.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, realistically, they don't have access to anything, because to get to the camera, they first have to get into my network, which is not straightforward. I have no reason to believe that I have been hacked. I have a problem accessing my camera via my network, but when I access it directly, all the parameters are unchanged. I posted to this forum because last time I had a similar problem I thrashed around for days until something I did fixed it. So I thought maybe someone has seen this before and could give me a shortcut to fixing it. I work in IT security, so I don't need scare stories or paranoia.
It is very straight forward. Someone inept like you could easily have port forwarded the cameras and/or left upnp enabled so the camera did it on its own. You dont work in IT Security unless its is to take out their trash. I find it interesting that you call proven hacks into these cameras "scare stories or paranoia". Of perhaps the IT Security staff did not print and toss those articles for you to find in the trash.
Dont lie to me and tell me you are in "IT security" when you dont understand the basics of browser plugin support. God help you.