Well my 3 year old lorex is dying, any suggestions on firmware upgrade or new device?

vinchbr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, a long time ago out of desperation i bought a lorex because i was pressed to have a system installed.

I ended up buying a ln1080 bundle with 4 2k cameras. i installed and all was working just fine, just until recently it stopped doing motion detect and that's where I got tired of playing around with this.

Lorex device name is NR814.

The device model reports back as nvr4x-4ks2 on the lorex app, I tried upgrading to a dahua firmware, because at this point screw lorex, and if I end up bricking the system, oh well...

The device LOOKS phisically like a dahua model. but that's as far as I went with my research

appreciate any input

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, a long time ago out of desperation i bought a lorex because i was pressed to have a system installed.

I ended up buying a ln1080 with 4 2k cameras. i installed and all was working just fine, just until recently it stopped doing motion detect and that's where I got tired of playing around with this.

The device model reports back as nvr4x-4ks2 on the lorex app, I tried upgrading to a dahua firmware, because at this point screw lorex, and if I end up bricking the system, oh well...

appreciate any input
Welcome @vinchbr

A lot of the Lorex kits are Dahua OEM ..

If the cameras are meeting specs ( rtsp ONVIF ) you can use VMS software like Blue Iris .. or perhaps a Dahua smartpss .. on a PC, all you need is a poe switch .. otherwise you can replace the NVR with another Dahua OEM NVR ..
( assuming the cameras are Dahua OEM .. you'd want to double check )

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Plenty of people come here underwhelmed by their NVR's.
That's how I went down the Blue Iris Rabbit hole.
I was a purchaser of the Costco/ Nightowl( Hikvision OEM) 8 channel DVR. We weren't thinking we need the Fancy pants Lorex. :)
I might have been better off with an IP system looking back, cuz I might have been able to carryover some of the old Lorex cams to a BI system or a Dahua( OEM) like Empire Tech andy sells on this forum.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running Blue Iris at Work and at home. home system is an old Dell Optiplex 9020 Tower, with an i5-4590 CPU.
The forum guided me to the HP Elitedesk g4 800 SFF as good dual drive recorder machine.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have found Lorex support on the phone to be quite good. Give them a call with your model and serial # they should be able to help.