Western Digital NAS, Record using CIFS

John_Hey

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have 3 cameras with 5.2 English version firmware on them.
I tried to record to WD My Book Live (1 TB) using CIFS.
Created share folder, and username/password.
in camera’s config, added NAS info (IP, Path etc) tested and it was successful.
then under ‘storage management’, it shows the drive as uninitialized.
I click on format, it formats it with no problem and status change to normal (I checked the share and it created the folders)
other setting (motion detection, trigger channel etc ) are already in place.

but it cannot record. if I click away to another section of config and click back the status changes to offline or uninitialized. what can be the problem?

some people mentioned they used WD my cloud, mine is My Book Live

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anything in this thread help?

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1162-DS-2CD2012-I-and-smb-share-problem

I think at the very least you'll need a dedicated share location for each camera; you can't have them all trying to use the same share, but also you'll need a way to lock down the size on that share. I did it with drive partitions. I'm not familiar with NFSes personally, but I know you can do it with those as well by setting a quota.

John_Hey

n3wb
Reaction score
Anything in this thread help?

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1162-DS-2CD2012-I-and-smb-share-problem

I think at the very least you'll need a dedicated share location for each camera; you can't have them all trying to use the same share, but also you'll need a way to lock down the size on that share. I did it with drive partitions. I'm not familiar with NFSes personally, but I know you can do it with those as well by setting a quota.
I guess the link is more of setting share folder under windows in PC, not dedicated NAS like WD. So the info over there was not that helpful for me.

for shares,
i did exactly as you said. I just started with one camera, created its own u/p and share folder. it didn't work for even first camera....
do you have WD working?

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I guess the link is more of setting share folder under windows in PC, not dedicated NAS like WD. So the info over there was not that helpful for me.

for shares,
i did exactly as you said. I just started with one camera, created its own u/p and share folder. it didn't work for even first camera....
do you have WD working?
I haven't personally tried with WD, no :( Hopefully somebody else can hook you up!

John_Hey

n3wb
Reaction score
I got it working and want to share my experience.

I am not sure if that was the reason but I had some movies in the public folder of WD. I deleted all of them and boom it was working.
I created 3 users with 3 private shares, went to each camera, format it and all of are working and recoding to WD.
Please note that I was not able to split the space between 3 so all of them see the whole storage as theirs. right now it filled only 30 GB out of 1 TB so i don't know what happens when drive is full. I will see and post back again.
the only thing is, how we can delete old recording from NAS?
If I can do so, will delete old data from time to time so the drive will never be full.

Kr4m4

n3wb
Reaction score
I got it working and want to share my experience.

I am not sure if that was the reason but I had some movies in the public folder of WD. I deleted all of them and boom it was working.
I created 3 users with 3 private shares, went to each camera, format it and all of are working and recoding to WD.
Please note that I was not able to split the space between 3 so all of them see the whole storage as theirs. right now it filled only 30 GB out of 1 TB so i don't know what happens when drive is full. I will see and post back again.
the only thing is, how we can delete old recording from NAS?
If I can do so, will delete old data from time to time so the drive will never be full.
(First time poster here and new owner of 2 Hikvision IP cameras.)

I'm in the same exact situation with my WD My Book Live NAS and Hikvision cameras. I was wondering if your setup is still running correctly since this post? My cameras see my NAS and I'm using CIFS with a custom private folder. I run Format and it completes successfully and shows "Normal" and non-zero free space. However, if I move away from Storage Management and back to it, it goes back to "Uninitialized" and zero free space. I'm not sure what else to try?

Can you recall anything else you did that made it ultimately work?

Also, since these drive don't have quotas, I was thinking "Percent of Record" could work as I don't plan on using the NAS to store pictures. Would that solution work for you?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
For the camera 5.2.0 firmware - you may have to limit the available size on the share to less than about 200GB (or somewhere between 200 and 250GB, I didn't check exactly where the ceiling is).
On my QNAP NAS I could do this either with size-provisioned volumes, or user quotas.

A big thread to read - but some useful info and experiences here: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?54-Solving-some-NFS-issues-on-Hikvision-cameras

Last edited by a moderator:

Kr4m4

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, thank you for the quick reply!

Ok, so, if it's the case that it can't handle a share over 200GB, then, I may be stuck here since this NAS doesn't support quota sizes. :/ I'm still wondering how John_Hey got it running.

Is QNAP a good choice for NAS? I noticed Hikvision has articles talking about using QNAP and Iomega/Lenovo NAS. Only issue is that I was hoping to keep it within the US$150 range is possible.

UPDATE: I have a dumb question -- is the 200GB limit issue something that happens at Format time, or, it is on-going? Meaning, if I created a massive dummy-file on my NAS that makes it so that there is only 200GB space left on my NAS and then I camera-Format and then delete the file afterwards, will my Hikvision cameras work with that?

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Consuming the free space may be worth a try - but I believe it's the size of the share as opposed to the space left on it that's the critical factor.

Kr4m4

n3wb
Reaction score
You are probably right. I went ahead and ordered a Synology BeyondCloud.

Kr4m4

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to follow up on this one: I just received my Synology BC115j 1200 (2TB) NAS and my Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cameras (latest firmware) worked with it without any issues. In fact, I was able to allocate 750GB to each camera and it worked.

In summary, my setup is:

2x Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I wired PoE cameras
Netgear GS108P PoE switch
Synology BC115j 1200 (2TB) NAS

Everything works great without issue. Cameras have been running perfectly (unlike the Foscam cameras I sent back). Really happy with the setup.