What a difference a cpu makes!

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents in case someone new to the forum is debating whether or not to get another pc for Blue Iris. I was limping along with an AMD AthlonII X2 260 with a whopping cpu benchmark of 1898. I am running 3 Hikvisions at 2mp & an older Foscam 720 at 15 fps. The cpu usage during the day was around 62% with BI minimized and it jumped to 99% if I tried to view a clip. Teamviewer? Fuggedaboutit, it totally choked on that. I bought an Optiplex 7020 with i5-4590 for $302 on the Dell outlet site with a coupon. This cpu has a benchmark of 7213 on the site I'm looking at. Now my daytime cpu is around 8% instead of 62% (by the way, it is around 19% without BI hardware acceleration). Teamviewer works great now too. If I can get my external IR lights up I might even be able to run my Hikvisions at 4mp since the cpu can handle it. Presently 4mp isn't working very well for me at night. So, if your pc is struggling consider an upgrade if you have the money. The difference for me has been incredible. There are a lot of comments on the forum about cpu's and deals on different pc's.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good stuff, thanks. Not only can a new CP make a huge difference, but as you say just using the hardware video acceleration has transformed BI for me. My system has gone from maxed out CPU with the current settings to around 50% now. It's like getting a new PC for free!