What are my options for a doorbell camera, I don't have a chime/transformer.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From what I understand my house doesn't have a door chime/transformer. I rent and the doorbell has never worked. I took off the doorbell and twisted the wires together and nothing. I tested for voltage and nothing also. I've never came across the chime and the house is pretty small. I assume it was removed before we moved in. I put a wireless dorbell.

I am interested in a Doorbell camera but do I really have any options?

I assume I would have to find one that is PoE?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From what I understand my house doesn't have a door chime/transformer. I rent and the doorbell has never worked. I took off the doorbell and twisted the wires together and nothing. I tested for voltage and nothing also. I've never came across the chime and the house is pretty small. I assume it was removed before we moved in. I put a wireless dorbell.

I am interested in a Doorbell camera but do I really have any options?

I assume I would have to find one that is PoE?
Hi Philip,

The challenge imho is determining where the wiring is going, unless you're willing to rewire that location.

Suggest looking by the circuit breaker panel and seeing if there is a doorbell transformer there.

You can also try some of the tone-probe tools to see if you can trace the wiring.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check your outlets for something like this. Mine is in a closet mounted next to an outlet. If it's gone there should be wires hanging loose somewhere. It will be separate from the door chime. I think.

OK, I will have a look. But even if I do find this and I don't have a chime, what is the plan from there lol?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IMG_3565.PNG This is the typical doorbell installed on most houses, home depot mechanical bell. Basically when you press the front door button, the voltage is applied to the ringing coil (for one door, discard the rear connection). Let's say you decided to purchase the Ring doorbell (similar products available). Your two options are the battery operated model or the Pro version (takes power from the transformer, typically 16.5 Vac). If going with the battery operated, just purchase extra wifi chimes installed around the house. If purchasing the Pro model, voltage to Ring is supplied from the transformer, able to use existing mechanical bell, plus adding wifi chimes if necessary

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
View attachment 24270 This is the typical doorbell installed on most houses, home depot mechanical bell. Basically when you press the front door button, the voltage is applied to the ringing coil (for one door, discard the rear connection). Let's say you decided to purchase the Ring doorbell (similar products available). Your two options are the battery operated model or the Pro version (takes power from the transformer, typically 16.5 Vac). If going with the battery operated, just purchase extra wifi chimes installed around the house. If purchasing the Pro model, voltage to Ring is supplied from the transformer, able to use existing mechanical bell, plus adding wifi chimes if necessary
Well I never found the transformer. I really think I don't have one. The doorbell never worked when we moved in. I'll just wait until we get our own house then as I don't want to get a battery powered doorbell cam.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yes, that's annoying. Ring specify the battery will last between 6~12 months, but remember the camera will consume more power. The real problem is you need to connect a micro-usb cable to recharge the unit (a new Doorbell-2 includes a removable battery to be recharged separately). Anyway, better go with a wired power. If possible, look for a video doorbell with wired network (PoE included).

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Well I never found the transformer. I really think I don't have one. The doorbell never worked when we moved in.
If you have a doorbell, you almost certainly have a transformer.
One good this is that low voltage devices (12 or 24 volt doorbell) can't be inside a 120V box. The doorbell xfmr needs 120V to step down the voltage to 12 or 24V. So it's normally attached immediately outside a 120V junction box. In my past houses, the transformer was located in the room with the furnace, or near the main panel.
Keep looking, since finding it could really ease your alternative wiring hedache.

Fastb

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
that's for sure Fastb. But he mentioned is a rented house, you never know if previous tenant removed