What are the benefits of mounts and junction boxes besides angling?

Reaction score
I understand why a wall mount would be necessary when installing, say, a turret cam, so that the cam wouldn't be sideways. However, when installing a turret on an eave or installing a bullet cam, would there be any benefit to using a mount rather than just mounting the cam directly to the building? The fan favorite 5442T-ZE has a water ingress rating of IP67, but its PFA130-E mount has a lesser rating of IP66. So, unless I am misunderstanding, this means that the 5442T-ZE has greater water resistance when installed without the junction box. I also understand that with some mounts, the pigtail can be stored inside the mount, but if the wires are going inside a wall anyway, does that even matter? Water resistance doesn't equal water proof, and I'd think it would be preferable to have the wires, including the pigtail, inside a wall, even an exterior one, than inside the camera mount.

Basically in the cliff notes, "it is recommended to purchase a junction box or mount from the manufacturer along with your camera," and I'm just wondering why that is the case. Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can install a turret without a mount and it not be sideways...

Benefits of a wall mount include additional room for the pigtail, smaller hole needed thru wall or soffit and ease of exchanging cameras.

But many do without one and instead shove pigtail back into wall or up in eave/soffit.

In both scenarios though dielectric grease and additional waterproofing is needed. The little plastic thing isn't sufficient.

Reaction score
You can install a turret without a mount and it not be sideways...

Benefits of a wall mount include additional room for the pigtail, smaller hole needed thru wall or soffit and ease of exchanging cameras.

But many do without one and instead shove pigtail back into wall or up in eave/soffit.

In both scenarios though dielectric grease and additional waterproofing is needed. The little plastic thing isn't sufficient.
Thanks for the explanation. I should have been more clear when I said a wall mount is necessary for a turret. What I meant was that when mounting on a wall such as the siding of a house, a wall mount such as the PFB203W would be necessary otherwise the turret would be facing sideways with its base attached to the house. Of course, if it is mounted on an eave, that wouldn't be an issue.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If by sideways you mean the image, you can mount a turret on the side of the wall and have the same field of view as one hanging from the ceiling. The ball rotates to get the same field of view without it being sideways. It comes down to personal preference on whether to hang from a "ceiling" or a wall, but the actual video image you get is the same.

Many use siding clips to hang turrets to further minimize holes in siding.

Reaction score
If by sideways you mean the image, you can mount a turret on the side of the wall and have the same field of view as one hanging from the ceiling. The ball rotates to get the same field of view without it being sideways. It comes down to personal preference on whether to hang from a "ceiling" or a wall, but the actual video image you get is the same.

Many use siding clips to hang turrets to further minimize holes in siding.
I didn't know about the rotation to maintain the same FOV. Good to know. I'll look into siding clips as well, just so I know all my options.

Reaction score
If mounting under an eave, horizontally, a junction box can help mount the camera a little lower to clear fascia trim or a gutter, preventing IR bounce-back at night.
Ah, that makes sense.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
If mounting under an eave, horizontally, a junction box can help mount the camera a little lower to clear fascia trim or a gutter, preventing IR bounce-back at night.
Other than one I have mounted to the siding, this is the only reason I use junction boxes and not all of my undereave cameras need them.

Reaction score
Other than one I have mounted to the siding, this is the only reason I use junction boxes and not all of my undereave cameras need them.
Why have you decided to use a junction box for the cam attached to your siding instead of directly attaching it? Just wondering what advantages, like those wittaj mentioned, convinced you that you should add a mount.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Why have you decided to use a junction box for the cam attached to your siding instead of directly attaching it? Just wondering what advantages, like those wittaj mentioned, convinced you that you should add a mount.
With the siding being more exposed to the elements I wanted as small of a hole as possible. The junction box gave me somewhere to make the connection and help seal the hole I made in the side of the house.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve used a junction box for all my cams even those that didn’t really need it. For me and although it doesn’t sound like a lot, that extra 1.5” away from the wall helps with the FOV to minimise the wall in the frame and this in turn helps IR bounce as already pointed out.

Reaction score
I’ve used a junction box for all my cams even those that didn’t really need it. For me and although it doesn’t sound like a lot, that extra 1.5” away from the wall helps with the FOV to minimise the wall in the frame and this in turn helps IR bounce as already pointed out.
Yeah, I'd like to minimize that as well. That's a good reason.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is an unfortunate great example from just yesterday that shows why I mentioned that even with a junction box you need to do proper waterproofing.