What bulk cable for 4k system?

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They will work fine, and your video quality will not be affected. If you don't want to "drill" larger holes, cut off the RJ45 and re-terminate after fishing the cable.

Cat5e is fine. I have over 6000+ feet of this under my belt, and countless cameras installed all operating as intended.

1000FT CAT6 CAT5E UTP Solid Network Ethernet Cable Pure Copper CAT5 RJ45 Bulk US | eBay

This guy is in NJ and ships quick. That cable is solid 24AWG copper and is $58 shipped to your door. He has the same Cat6 (in 23AWG) that Monoprice sells for $50+ more (when adding shipping) for $68. That 4 way separator in the Cat6 is harder to work with when fishing or bending the cable. Don't get me wrong, it's nice stuff, and I have a 1000 feet of it on hand, but it really isn't necessary and Monoprice is Mono-over-priced.

Cable is the cheapest part of any security camera solution, but here's the thing. Most cams, including 4K cams, run at 100 Base-T anyway. A properly terminated Cat5e can do better than 350 MHz anyway, but even that is overkill for 100 Base-T. If you don't properly terminate Cat6, it won't test out to 550 MHz either. You have to use the proper RJ45 connectors and keep the untwisted portion as short as possible (<3/8"). I like these "3 piece suits" as they keep the untwisted portion as short as possible, and you can double check your cable order before crimping. They work very well with 24AWG Cat5e as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K9Z3ZWA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the tools of the trade, and the flow of the 3 piece suits, with that Mono(over)price Cat6 cable mentioned above. Again, overkill but it's nice (and expensive).

SD

View attachment 27914 View attachment 27912 View attachment 27913 View attachment 27915 View attachment 27916 View attachment 27917
Awesome post. Just note that (now) the ebay link is for a CCA cable and not the pure cable. The original post I'd bet likely was correct but they've changed it.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome post. Just note that (now) the ebay link is for a CCA cable and not the pure cable. The original post I'd bet likely was correct but they've changed it.
it was likely always cca...he just didnt know better. You are not getting legit solid cable for 68 bux.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, when asked about the cable kits that are boxed with camera systems from big-box stores, I say that one can not generalize that "...they're fine and you'll have no problems". Some may be and some may NOT be.

I can say without a doubt I went to install a system for a friend and it came with 4 cable sets, 2-60 footers and 2 -100 footers. The tip-off to them being CCA was the weight and size of the box containing them...the box should have weighed at least 50% more and been maybe 25 bigger (I am roughly estimating here).

I have handled thousands of feet of CAT-5 cable in my life and I can tell the difference blindfolded between 320 feet of CCA and 320 feet of solid copper. I convinced him to buy a roll of CMR, CAT-5e solid copper from Monoprice then proceeded to cut the end off one of the 4 cables, pull off some outer jacket and shaved one of the 8 conductors.....Copper Clad Aluminum.

I felt like I was in the Farmers Insurance commercial: "We know a thing or two because we've SEEN a thing or two". :rolleyes: