What display do you use ?

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Humor me for a minute...

the above hdmi extender, cat 6 cable used as an hdmi cable.
The cat cable, it basically becomes a long hdmi cable.
Can the same cable be used for data as well?

I have cat cable going to all tv locations in the house, smart tv in a few, dvd, game console. If I use these extenders I loose the wired data? If I want to keep wired data and use the extender I would need 2 separate cat wires?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Humor me for a minute...

the above hdmi extender, cat 6 cable used as an hdmi cable.
The cat cable, it basically becomes a long hdmi cable.

I have cat cable going to all tv locations in the house, smart tv in a few, dvd, game console. If I use these extenders I loose the wired data? If I want to keep wired data and use the extender I would need 2 separate cat wires?
It depends.
Some HDMI over ethernet extenders use a protocol called HD Base-T or HDBT sometimes called HDMI BaseT which I think may be switchable (meaning you could put a network switch on both ends of the cable). This protocol technically supports a concurrent 100mb/s ethernet link concurrently with the video (perhaps half duplex), but many adapters don't fully implement this. Ethernet-over-HDMI may work.

Other extenders can't.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
With the extender items he linked above, yes. Note how it mentions "over gigabit ethernet switch" in the name, and TCP/IP in the description. That means they are capturing the incoming HDMI signal, compressing and streaming it over your LAN, then decoding and outputting it as HDMI again on the receiver device(s). Do note that the one he linked will be limited to 1080p resolution and it will add some delay which is fine for passive viewing of IP cams, but it would be poorly suited for realtime interaction (e.g. playing games or using mouse/keyboard).

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So it sounds like, with a 3 port switch on either end, data and extended hdmi is possible over the 1 cable.

Will a switch work backwards though? 3 port switch, 1 input port, 2 output ports.
Will it work on the transmission end backwards, 2 input ports turned to 1 output port sent to another switch which turns them back into 2 outpot ports

I’m confusing myself...