What display do you use ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What camera are you using ?
The plate camera was the 2MP 5241-Z12E at a distance of 175 feet. The camera was OPTICALLY zoomed for that distance and the camera set to capture plates.

The two girls was the 2MP 49225 that is no longer available, but is basically a PTZ version of the 5241-Z12E (same size sensor just with PTZ capability and higher optical zoom) setup to capture people walking past at a distance of about 65 feet.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
For adjusting my CCTV, I currently use my PC monitor. I have the BI Machine connected to the 2nd HDMI input although there's no reason why you couldn't connect straight from your pc over network as a login eliminating the need for a direct wired connection.

I'm thinking for remote viewing, I might buy a small Tablet around 9-10 inches and use that. Unsure if anyone else has done this but it seems a way of having a wireless viewing device you can take anywhere in the house on a stand if you want to stand it by your bed or sofa for example, that isn't your phone so is larger and doesn't degrade your phones charge. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to retain charge on the device ie trickle charge it constantly - will wreck battery or let it discharge and recharge it. Pity there's not a battery less option. Wonder if anyone else has tried a tablet as a viewing screen. Seems ideal in many ways.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
…. I'm thinking for remote viewing, I might buy a small Tablet around 9-10 inches and use that. Unsure if anyone else has done this but it seems a way of having a wireless viewing device you can take anywhere in the house on a stand if you want to stand it by your bed or sofa for example, that isn't your phone so is larger and doesn't degrade your phones charge. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to retain charge on the device ie trickle charge it constantly - will wreck battery or let it discharge and recharge it. Pity there's not a battery less option. Wonder if anyone else has tried a tablet as a viewing screen. Seems ideal in many ways.
I don’t see a need for live, 24/7 display, but- whenever I want to see what’s going on, I have a shortcut on my iPad that takes me directly into ui3 of all cameras maximized. I think it takes about 3 seconds for that live display to come up.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t see a need for live, 24/7 display, but- whenever I want to see what’s going on, I have a shortcut on my iPad that takes me directly into ui3 of all cameras maximized. I think it takes about 3 seconds for that live display to come up.
I did the same on my wife's iPad when she wanted to view the Bluebird Cam; I have the URL for UI3 perform the authentication, specify which cam (instead of all 10) and go to full screen.

RonL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I guess we must be the odd people that have it on for monitoring while we are awake. We can just look to see what's going instead of running around the house looking through windows. We have a few alarms set up (driveway stairs into the house, ..) so if one is triggered we can easily look. When your getting up in age, it's just a bit harder to be jumping up if you hear something. We have a tv mounted in the living room fir this purpose.
But it seems that this 1080 tv should be ok no matter what camera system I install to replace it.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess we must be the odd people that have it on for monitoring while we are awake. We can just look to see what's going instead of running around the house looking through windows. We have a few alarms set up (driveway stairs into the house, ..) so if one is triggered we can easily look. When your getting up in age, it's just a bit harder to be jumping up if you hear something. We have a tv mounted in the living room fir this purpose.
But it seems that this 1080 tv should be ok no matter what camera system I install to replace it.
Amen to that (the running around part). I just LOVE breaking my pinkie toe on a table leg at 2AM....even said a few cuss words that I didn't know that I knew....and I was in the Navy, for cryin' out loud.

Just last week started making plans to put our spare 43" Insignia (Best Buy brand) flat screen on the wall in the living room to show all 9 cams that are on Blue Iris. Just need to get "a round tuit" after knocking out some items on the HoneyDo list. :lol:

RoundTuit1.png

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone else has tried a tablet as a viewing screen. Seems ideal in many ways.
A BUNCH of threads on this, if you care to wade through them ==>> site:ipcamtalk.com blue iris tablet

About 3 years ago I used a iPad for a time, wirelessly, with one cam on it...my "DilloCam". I killed 10 armadillos in 12 days using an old Trendnet wireless cam at the base of the front steps. Sleeping in my living room recliner, BI would send me a SMS within 3 to 5 seconds with an image of the armadillo attached which showed me if he was going left towards the road or to the right towards the woods; that way when I hit the steps with my Henry .22LR with light and laser I'd know which way to turn.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I connect the HDMI output from my NVR to an extender, and then I plug that into a 5-port gigabit switch, and then I have receivers for four tv's in various rooms of the house. Works great. A wireless keyboard with trackpad connects to my NVR, so I can control the NVR from any room in the house.
Which extender? Can You give url to it?

RonL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Amen to that (the running around part). I just LOVE breaking my pinkie toe on a table leg at 2AM....even said a few cuss words that I didn't know that I knew....and I was in the Navy, for cryin' out loud.

Just last week started making plans to put our spare 43" Insignia (Best Buy brand) flat screen on the wall in the living room to show all 9 cams that are on Blue Iris. Just need to get "a round tuit" after knocking out some items on the HoneyDo list. :lol:

View attachment 168317
If I replaced my 32 with a 43, that would be to big... we actually mocked up what it would look like and that mocked up 43 almost looks as big as my 77 tv. We will stay with our 32 inch size . Maybe just upgrade to a 4k instead of
The 1080, but it seems it may not make any difference. Here is the mock up...

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I replaced my 32 with a 43, that would be to big... we actually mocked up what it would look like and that mocked up 43 almost looks as big as my 77 tv. We will stay with our 32 inch size . Maybe just upgrade to a 4k instead of
There is something wrong with your mockup...
A 32 superimposed on a 43 would look like this. Remember the size is measured by the diagonal.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
why not something like this :)

20220115105930-0727c6db-la.jpg

RonL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is something wrong with your mockup...
A 32 superimposed on a 43 would look like this. Remember the size is measured by the diagonal.
Oh,my mockup is just the 43 inch ... 38 x 22 .. the cardboard section is not the 32 inch behind it, it's just the biggest piece we had. But the 43 inch would just be to big for that location.

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you never get up closer than about 4 feet from the 32" TV to look at something, then you won't really benefit from 4K resolution.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have two monitors connected that are both 4k. One is a 27", the other is 32". They are both monitors that I have used for my computer but upgraded to new. Hence, repurposed to camera monitor duty.
One is next to my main computer, the other is in my TV room.

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I connect the HDMI output from my NVR to an extender, and then I plug that into a 5-port gigabit switch, and then I have receivers for four tv's in various rooms of the house. Works great. A wireless keyboard with trackpad connects to my NVR, so I can control the NVR from any room in the house.
Can you explain the difference between this and having smarttvs with internet capabilities? Is it just smoother using the extender/receiver? Why cant you just pull up the webpage on your smarttv? Thanks....just trying to learn.

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you explain the difference between this and having smarttvs with internet capabilities? Is it just smoother using the extender/receiver? Why cant you just pull up the webpage on your smarttv? Thanks....just trying to learn.
I find it easy to click one button on a tv remote, and the picture will come up instantly on any of the four tv's in my house. As I am typing this to you, I clicked on the tv in my living room, and it took only a couple seconds to show this image of my cameras. Also, wired is always going to be superior to wireless when sending images to monitors.
monitor.jpg

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I find it easy to click one button on a tv remote, and the picture will come up instantly on any of the four tv's in my house. As I am typing this to you, I clicked on the tv in my living room, and it took only a couple seconds to show this image of my cameras. Also, wired is always going to be superior to wireless when sending images to monitors.
View attachment 191040
Thanks, very informative. I use blue iris, would this work the same? Can you share what products you bought so I can duplicate? This is something I wish I had.

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, very informative. I use blue iris, would this work the same? Can you share what products you bought so I can duplicate? This is something I wish I had.
Look about five or six posts above and you will see the link i posted for the transmitter and receiver I purchased. I had tried others before this particular model, and none worked reliably until I found this one. I’ve never lost a signal or had to reset anything since I have been using it.