What do I lose with d2d over bi encoding?

xxnumbxx

n3wb
Reaction score
Curious what I lose switching to d2d; other than text overlay? Motion detection still seems to work and I can just use the cameras osd overlay. I have all hikvision cameras. What other differences are there?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Curious what I lose switching to d2d; other than text overlay? Motion detection still seems to work and I can just use the cameras odd overlay. I have all hikvision cameras. What other differences are there?
You also lose the ability to rotate the camera in blue iris (you can do this in most cameras anyway).....remember that because of the way d2d works make sure that in your camera your i-frame interval matches your frame rate and that in blue iris the pre-tigger frames at least match your frame rate (camera record tab)..i set mine double..

xxnumbxx

n3wb
Reaction score
Does pre-trigger still work fine? I currently run about 90. Not to worried about camera orientation changes. Should I be configuring any motion detection within the cameras themselves or will bi still handle this fine?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does pre-trigger still work fine? I currently run about 90. Not to worried about camera orientation changes. Should I be configuring any motion detection within the cameras themselves or will bi still handle this fine?
Pretrigger works fine...90 is more than enough...blue iris will handle the motion detection as usual..in fact blue iris does not support in camera motion but for some select cameras like axis...

xxnumbxx

n3wb
Reaction score
So I pretty much have nothing to lose and a whole lot of CPU to gain. Thanks for the help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I pretty much have nothing to lose and a whole lot of CPU to gain. Thanks for the help.
Exactly. Note that sometimes D2D can cause ghosting in video recordings...there are solutions to this if it should be a problem for you..

xxnumbxx

n3wb
Reaction score
I made the switch earlier today after adding a couple cameras and watching my server CPU usage sit at 90%. I have a small gas station and reading license plates is in important so I need quality video. What is a good bitrate for a 2mp camera at 1080p with a good balance between quality and minimal bandwidth usage?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, I'm curious, what's your setup? I mean what cameras do you use. I'm interested to know which works best for you.
Every application is different. I have about 20 BI systems and a couple of NVR based systems that i installed and "manage"...and a bunch of others that ive installed but the end users manage i....I have installed cameras from most of the large makers...
Personally I prefer using blue iris and hikvision cameras...

Reactions: jlx

jlx

n3wb
Reaction score
Every application is different. I have about 20 BI systems and a couple of NVR based systems that i installed and "manage"...and a bunch of others that ive installed but the end users manage i....I have installed cameras from most of the large makers...
Personally I prefer using blue iris and hikvision cameras...
Awesome, thanks Fenderman. I trust your info and you sound like you know a lot :) Well glad my setup is hikvisions and BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks Fenderman. I trust your info and you sound like you know a lot :) Well glad my setup is hikvisions and BI.
No problem...obviously this is not the only way to go, it really depends on the application and person using the system...sometimes a dahua NVR and cams is better - for example if the user is not technically advanced, just wants a stable system with not fancy settings, and needs audio in the recordings (dahua has a cheap turret with audio)...Sometimes milestone or exacq is a better fit if its in the budget...
For the average techie home user my opinion is the blue iris is simply killer...

Reactions: jlx

jlx

n3wb
Reaction score
No problem...obviously this is not the only way to go, it really depends on the application and person using the system...sometimes a dahua NVR and cams is better - for example if the user is not technically advanced, just wants a stable system with not fancy settings, and needs audio in the recordings (dahua has a cheap turret with audio)...Sometimes milestone or exacq is a better fit if its in the budget...
For the average techie home user my opinion is the blue iris is simply killer...
I agree, Blue Iris has suited me the best, I've tried various camera manufacturers's software and not good. BI feels versatile and works best for my needs. I don't need audio, just clear image of faces, cars, and a ptz cam, so BI fit the need, especially with so many camera choices.