What do you think? Are you ready for this?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"With the release of Windows 10 version 1909 imminent, you should take a moment now and squirrel away a clean copy of version 1903. Since we don’t know exactly how version 1909 will hit the fan, and whether it’ll introduce any bugs, it’s well worth your time and effort to stash away a free, Microsoft-certified-clean copy."

It's time to squirrel away a clean copy of Win10 version 1903

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Yea Good advise, Microsoft does have a history of pushing updates that can make life hell for some people's lives. Especially the people who have to figure out what happened when shit quits working. :wow:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
One more thing to Note on this version, I talked to my OEM supplier today and he told me when you are doing the Install that it will force you now to use a Microsoft account to get it Installed, no more local accounts and the option is gone. New out of the box laptops also, he did tell me the work around for this.
When you are doing the Install, make sure it not connected to wifi or through a network cable. Then it will let you install a local account. I have 2 machines to build this week and I will be using this version so I guess I will find out. Sounds like Microsoft is trying to use the Apple model and force you to have a account set up with them no matter what. We Will see.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I installed a fresh machine a week ago and it did the "no option for local account" thing. Pulling the network cable out and rebooting brought back the option (requirement, actually, with no network) to set up a local account. Pain on the a$$ if you ask me. I have no intention of hooking any logon information to a Microsoft account.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here went to the insider version of Windows 10 a while ago and thin it out a bit using some software removal tools.

I have not had any issues except for the updating which gets time consuming. Wife is now testing Ubuntu on her laptop which is also running Windows.

She likes it and speed of the boot up and typically only uses the Firefox browser at home.

Still connecting to the Microsoft cloud when logging in with MS accounts.

All of the laptops and desktops here today dual boot Windows 10 Pro / Ubuntu 18.04 (soon 19.04) and mostly using Ubuntu these days.

For Windows only automation stuff running Windows 2016 Standard server. It is very light and functional; no fluff.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I installed a fresh machine a week ago and it did the "no option for local account" thing. Pulling the network cable out and rebooting brought back the option (requirement, actually, with no network) to set up a local account. Pain on the a$$ if you ask me. I have no intention of hooking any logon information to a Microsoft account.

I can confirm this also, not a game changer to switch to a different OS but Microsoft is definitely making it more difficult for the average user to do this without a Microsoft account.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a update on how this build is acting in my world, I set up 2 desktop units yesterday and ran into problems with usb devices, The customers are using Logitech wireless KB and Mice and also using usb WD passports . I used the passport on the win 7 machine and backed up their docs and files in both machines first..no issues. Things are rolling good. I fire up the the new box, no issues with the usb KB and mouse in the front bus, all working until I plugged the passport in, everything locks....grrr i plug the passport in the rear bus...once again total lock. After checking the bios and a few other things I was short on time so I used a wired KB and Mouse, plug the passport back in and windows finds it but wants to format it, UGGGG so I had a non usb powered backup drive and When I plugged it in , it worked so I had to backup again from the win 7 machine and got the data over. Same thing on the other machine, The bottom line is I believe I damaged 2 passport drives in this process and had to tell the customer not to use any usb backup device with the wireless KB and mouse plugged in. Both passports were fine until I plugged them into this build. I have used these ASUS mainbords with zero issues and never had issues like this, I have read in places that this build does in fact have usb bus driver issues, until I get this sorted out, word of caution to all.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score

I set up a new laptop a while ago, and it did not allow me to get started until I set up a Microsoft account. I wish I'd known then that there was a way to work around this.

Now I have a Microsoft account. I don't use it for anything, but it exists. All of my other Win10 PCs were set up on the basis of "local user", but I couldn't figure out how to set this laptop up without knuckling under. This was a month ago or so.

A year ago or so, I had a suite of blood tests done at a local lab. They messed something up and failed to run some of the tests I paid for on the samples they took, and needed me to come in and have another blood draw. To facilitate this, they sent me a coupon of some sort to have this done for free. However, the email that came was encrypted in some way. As I looked into it, the only way I could decrypt the email was to create a Microsoft account because the lab apparently used Microsoft Office to create this encrypted email.

I called them and said this was an unacceptable way to deal with the general pubic because they can't be sure that all of their customers have (or want to have) a Microsoft account, and I refused to do it. The manager I spoke with was basically clueless and unwilling to look into any of this for me. So she sent me the coupon by snail mail.

People who use outlook and MS Office need to realize that not everyone else uses Microsoft's email and office apps.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I set up a new laptop a while ago, and it did not allow me to get started until I set up a Microsoft account. I wish I'd known then that there was a way to work around this.

Now I have a Microsoft account. I don't use it for anything, but it exists. All of my other Win10 PCs were set up on the basis of "local user", but I couldn't figure out how to set this laptop up without knuckling under. This was a month ago or so.

A year ago or so, I had a suite of blood tests done at a local lab. They messed something up and failed to run some of the tests I paid for on the samples they took, and needed me to come in and have another blood draw. To facilitate this, they sent me a coupon of some sort to have this done for free. However, the email that came was encrypted in some way. As I looked into it, the only way I could decrypt the email was to create a Microsoft account because the lab apparently used Microsoft Office to create this encrypted email.

I called them and said this was an unacceptable way to deal with the general pubic because they can't be sure that all of their customers have (or want to have) a Microsoft account, and I refused to do it. The manager I spoke with was basically clueless and unwilling to look into any of this for me. So she sent me the coupon by snail mail.

People who use outlook and MS Office need to realize that not everyone else uses Microsoft's email and office apps.
Have you tried to create a local account ? You can create a local account first and sign out of your Microsoft account and just use the local account for your primary sign in. I do not like having them monitoring what my PC is doing all the time. Just make sure you have all your favs and docs backed up before you do this.

LINK----> How to Delete Your Microsoft Account & Create a Local Windows 10 Login

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Microsoft needs to sign themselves out. They still couldn't figure out how to consolidate and solidify Control Panel and User Settings. Its just a disgrace. My login info varies from device to device, even though they all fall under the same Microsoft Account

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone else get alerts that you can upgrade to 1909 now? Anyone take the plunge?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just updated this morning, no problems. I don't see what the big deal is.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Be aware you can delay Windows Updates in your Windows Update system settings for (I think) 45 days. This buys you some time against update bugs, Also be aware that EVERY update resets this setting so It needs to be enabled again after every update.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No dramas here with the update, I've updated both my BI PC and another W10 64bit PC to 1909 without any issues. I'm thinking that MS have learnt from their past errors.

However, sadly the updates didn't deliver a working Intel driver enough for my HP Desktop to unable Quick Sync Video advantages (some cameras instead become unreachable).
It is still better that I don't enable hardware acceleration. Somehow on my PC, HP seems to know better which Intel Video Driver I should be using rather than Microsoft. Graphics drivers are installed courtesy of HP.

I should add that what recommendations there are here on IPCT for Intel drivers which work with Quick Sync Video are well past their sell by date.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is still better that I don't enable hardware acceleration. Somehow on my PC, HP seems to know better which Intel Video Driver I should be using rather than Microsoft. Graphics drivers are installed courtesy of HP.

I should add that what recommendations there are here on IPCT for Intel drivers which work with Quick Sync Video are well past their sell by date.
This is why you should always perform a clean install of windows on every BI machine.
Alternatively you can install the video driver, the workaround is available via a google search.
There is no sell by date for intel drivers. When you find a good one that works, leave it be. OCD be damned.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Be aware you can delay Windows Updates in your Windows Update system settings for (I think) 45 days. This buys you some time against update bugs, Also be aware that EVERY update resets this setting so It needs to be enabled again after every update.
With windows pro, you can permanently disable updates.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone here using a Linux distro instead of Windows in everyday computing? I still use Windows, but sometimes like the versatility of switching between OS's

Reaction score
Anyone here using a Linux distro instead of Windows in everyday computing? I still use Windows, but sometimes like the versatility of switching between OS's
I have Linux Mint 19 on our file server. Quite easy to set-up and maintain, and the best part is that most Linux distros aren't all that fussy about hardware, with high-end GPU's possibly the exception.

My current 'work' machine runs Win 7 which loses support on 20th January next year. When it is no longer manageable, I'll move it to Linux as well.

There's the Blue Iris / Win 10 box as well, but it just sits in the corner and looks at the world.
Rick