What do you think is the most MATURE NVR software out there?

Reaction score
BI, MileStone, AXXON etc.

Just need pros and cons from those that have used what they are talking about. I intend to connect 8 or so IP Aviligon cameras to it and I would like for the app to allow the camera hardware to do what it is intended to do such as compression, motion, etc and not off load all of it on the server side as well as retain camera built-in functionality (as much as possible).

Thank you for your thoughts!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BI, MileStone, AXXON etc.

Just need pros and cons from those that have used what they are talking about. I intend to connect 8 or so IP Aviligon cameras to it and I would like for the app to allow the camera hardware to do what it is intended to do such as compression, motion, etc and not off load all of it on the server side as well as retain camera built-in functionality (as much as possible).

Thank you for your thoughts!
You will be sorely disappointed with camera based motion detection, its practically worthless. Download trials off each and see which has the features and function you need.

Reaction score
You will be sorely disappointed with camera based motion detection, its practically worthless. Download trials off each and see which has the features and function you need.
Point taken, beyond that what is your opinion of the direction I should take?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Point taken, beyond that what is your opinion of the direction I should take?
How many cams? What is your budget?
EDIT, i see 8 avigilon. Milestone essentials well be free for 8 cameras starting oct 10...no day limit.

Reaction score
How many cams? What is your budget?
EDIT, i see 8 avigilon. Milestone essentials well be free for 8 cameras starting oct 10...no day limit.

not worried about the budget unless its stupid expensive and I dont want to pay a yearly fee.

Reaction score
Then use avigilon VMS
lol, Im looking for another option., AVG NVR with core edition is pricey and core doesnt include audio and I want to throw up at least 1 with audio. Standard edition records audio and is another 100 per port so hence why Im looking into a possible good alternative.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
lol, Im looking for another option., AVG NVR with core edition is pricey and core doesnt include audio and I want to throw up at least 1 with audio. Standard edition records audio and is another 100 per port so hence why Im looking into a possible good alternative.
So there is a budget :)
its also important to note the feature set that you need. For example, milestone essentials does not include archiving to nas or more than 5 users. If more than 8 cams it gets expensive. Look at the milestone version comparison charts...same for exacq look at the charts and see if they offer what you need in the 50 per camera license. Blue iris for example does not have a full featured windows client, you need to be at the machine or remote in for that. But it does have an excellent mobile app (andriod and ios).
Where are you installing these?

Reaction score
So there is a budget :)
its also important to note the feature set that you need. For example, milestone essentials does not include archiving to nas or more than 5 users. If more than 8 cams it gets expensive. Look at the milestone version comparison charts...same for exacq look at the charts and see if they offer what you need in the 50 per camera license. Blue iris for example does not have a full featured windows client, you need to be at the machine or remote in for that. But it does have an excellent mobile app (andriod and ios).
Where are you installing these?
yes, I said no yearly fee and not stupid expensive :peaceful:

As for the info you sent me thanks and that is some of what I am looking for as well as some product X is a CPU hog because of whatever reason whereas product Y does not have that issue.

What Im trying to avoid is multiple Installs and uninstalls after spending hours on each only to determine product "A" isnt really mature and has a lot of issues.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Stupid expensive is a meaningless term...how much are you willing to pay per camera? How long do you expect updates and support for?

Reaction score
Stupid expensive is a meaningless term...how much are you willing to pay per camera? How long do you expect updates and support for?
I think I can get their NVR for 320 per port with Standard edition which records audio or 210 per port with core edition, thats what I call stupid expensive. What am I willing to pay, 50 per camera sounds good to me but I dont want to pay it yearly and I dont want to be forced to upgrade for a price if I'm happy with what I have.

BUT, if I have to build a new bad a@@ PC then I might as well get their NVR and I might but I am trying to determine which Software flavor is the next best thing. Note: I have a I7 4790K CPU, 32GB SSD system with a purple drive already so I can use mine unless it kicks the sh@t out of it 24x7.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I can get their NVR for 320 per port with Standard edition which records audio or 210 per port with core edition, thats what I call stupid expensive. What am I willing to pay, 50 per camera sounds good to me but I dont want to pay it yearly and I dont want to be forced to upgrade for a price if I'm happy with what I have.

BUT, if I have to build a new bad a@@ PC then I might as well get their NVR and I might but I am trying to determine which Software flavor is the next best thing. Note: I have a I7 4790K CPU, 32GB SSD system with a purple drive already so I can use mine unless it kicks the sh@t out of it 24x7.
You dont need a crazy pc for 8 2mp cameras...an i5 haswell for 300 will be more than enough. Avigion's basic software should not be that expensive if you run it on your own pc..have you priced it?

Reaction score
You dont need a crazy pc for 8 2mp cameras...an i5 haswell for 300 will be more than enough. Avigion's basic software should not be that expensive if you run it on your own pc..have you priced it?
I thought I read that they have standalone software but couldn't find anymore info and their site is somewhat cryptic as they want to limit the info and availability to installers to keep the price high. Apparently I need to re-look into that option if you are saying they do have it as an option, do you by chance have a link for it?

Thanks again for your responses and help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I read that they have standalone software but couldn't find anymore info and their site is somewhat cryptic as they want to limit the info and availability to installers to keep the price high. Apparently I need to re-look into that option if you are saying they do have it as an option, do you by chance have a link for it?

Thanks again for your responses and help!
Try and contact @ak357 he is a member here and an Avignon dealer. (I dont know if he monitors the cite messages, if you cant reach him, let me know, Ill get the message to him).

kheiney

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm currently looking at Milestone Express for an install at a friends business. It is $100 per cam, no yearly fee. There is a fee if you want to get software updates beyond the first year. But if everything works fine I don't see the need to pay for the updates. I ran 8 cams(3MP) on an old 4 core machine (2008) and the nvr process sat around 15%. And you can find some places that sell directly.

kheiney

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you don't need more than 24 cams or network storage, you can use essential which is only $50 per cam

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't need more than 24 cams or network storage, you can use essential which is only $50 per cam
FYI essentials will be completely free on October 10 up to 8 cams.

Reaction score
Try and contact @ak357 he is a member here and an Avignon dealer. (I dont know if he monitors the cite messages, if you cant reach him, let me know, Ill get the message to him).

Fenderman, do you know how often he is on this site? I sent him a PM