What does Axis have that more affordable options don't?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I like having a junction box built into the camera. It means the cable on the mounting surface hole only needs to be as big as the ethernet cable.
But I like a fly lead because the camera (assuming not a dome) has a factory water tight seal.

But if a fly lead corrodes there is some hope to put a new connector on.
IMO, the correct junction box for any cam is the way to go and the cost vs. benefit is minimal and well worth it because:
  • Small hole for Ethernet cable exiting exterior (3/8") and into box
  • Weather protection for the RJ-45 male/female connection and the pigtail ("fly lead?") entrance into the cam
Additionally:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^ Then buy International versions that support the English language.

Looking at those two screen grabs, I'd say the Dahua needs a "little" fine tuning. I've got a number of Dahua cameras and never had a problem like that, once they're dialed in for the scene.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^^^ Then buy International versions that support the English language.
Looking at those two screen grabs, I'd say the Dahua needs a "little" fine tuning. I've got a number of Dahua cameras and never had a problem like that, once they're dialed in for the scene.
I'd get rid of that cheap chinese region 4433.
This dome isn't going away soon. This camera is an over view of my lawn. There's already the Axis camera over the driveway, and this gets licence plates in the day time from the end of the driveway.
There's also a camera at the front door to capture faces.

Given my area, I stand out for having cameras to begin with. Only use I've had with these is the weird things that happen around the neighbourhood, including the neighbours kids crashing their go-kart into a street light.

I think the best use my cameras have given me is seeing when parcels arrive.
For the $50 (usd) I got it for, it's okay for observation. It does have English in it's firmware. But give away this is a grey market camera is that English is the only language.

Honestly; yes I would like a better camera. But this is impressive for a cheap camera and does observation just fine.

Reaction score
Axis for government jobs - Dahua got caught with backdoor vulnerability and is blacklisted from my understanding.

Dahua is used for almost everything else in my experience.
1) Cost-effective. As long as you have an IT / department to handle the networking, they're easy to setup and troubleshoot.
- I do see a small inconsistency with them having issues, but if 1 camera goes down its almost worth the risk compared to buying Axis with a longer warranty when it comes to large quantities. A small business usually uses 8-15 cameras. Car dealerships can go up to the 80's. Cost of repair and replacement for a Dahua setup is still cheaper than going straight Axis. Your bid might look fancy with brand name, but good luck winning the battle of why your cost is so high.
2) Easy to white label, companies will buy them and put their own logos on them. Or not even have a logo. Customers don't even know the difference tbh. They just want their security.

Residentially - 4k is overkill imo, but if you've got the money for the cameras and storage go for it!

HavocArt

n3wb
Reaction score
After a few months of using an Axis P1378 I remain disappointed in the image quality, compared to even the cheapest IP cameras I have that claim to be in 4K. In fact I was so disappointed in the footage after spending $$$ on the setup I got a regular camcorder with the same 1/1.8 sensor in 1080 and upscaled it to 4k in a video editor and added sharpening until it looked just about as good as this over-processed footage. I guess that's cheaper for them than just making a better camera.

The advertising worked on me though I guess, From a video quality standpoint I paid 3x the price for the same quality footage in a better enclosure. FYI you just can buy durable camera enclosures to suit your needs and still have money leftover to get another camera.

Now that's my rant about the video quality which I had particularly high hopes for, but beyond the footage being merely comparable to most other surveillance cameras available, you and your company will need to consider the warranty, security, scalability, plus your repair, replacement and installation budget etc, when choosing the cameras for YOUR particular project...

n3wb
Reaction score
After a few months of using an Axis P1378 I remain disappointed in the image quality, compared to even the cheapest IP cameras I have that claim to be in 4K. In fact I was so disappointed in the footage after spending $$$ on the setup I got a regular camcorder with the same 1/1.8 sensor in 1080 and upscaled it to 4k in a video editor and added sharpening until it looked just about as good as this over-processed footage. I guess that's cheaper for them than just making a better camera.

The advertising worked on me though I guess, From a video quality standpoint I paid 3x the price for the same quality footage in a better enclosure. FYI you just can buy durable camera enclosures to suit your needs and still have money leftover to get another camera.

Now that's my rant about the video quality which I had particularly high hopes for, but beyond the footage being merely comparable to most other surveillance cameras available, you and your company will need to consider the warranty, security, scalability, plus your repair, replacement and installation budget etc, when choosing the cameras for YOUR particular project...
Maybe something wrong with your camera or the settings.

This link of live view of Axis P1378-LE the recording quality is amazing.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding the above, insure you have your instance of YT set to 4K/2160p to see what @12K 's talking about....VERY good daytime image.
Be sure to view at night as well; from my zone and at the time I can go back to 1:30 AM local time....still looks nice with some ambient lighting.