What Does Windows 11 give me. Should I upgrade.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Keep getting the usual do you want to upgrade notices, should I.

Dell System, Vostro, 32 gigs, I5 10400

What other info is needed.

Thanks.

G.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not upgrading from Windows 10 until MS stops updating it. My feeling is that by then maybe Windows 11 will be worth using. But that is just my opinion. I actually haven't had any problems with the limited Windows 11 systems I've used.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've had Win 11 on two different systems for over 6 months.
One machine is my daily driver.
No problems at all with it.
Well, my Blue Iris computer is dedicated just to my security. I use other computers for everything else. Was just wondering how 11 might affect the BI computer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, my Blue Iris computer is dedicated just to my security. I use other computers for everything else. Was just wondering how 11 might affect the BI computer.
You would not notice any difference. Nothing wrong with moving to 11 however I would recommend a clean install. That recommendation is based on older versions of windows having upgrade issues and may not be applicable, however, particularly for a BI pc I would personally prefer a clean installation.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Apart from the nag when you logon I don’t think you’d really see any benefit unless there are vast improvements to W11 under the hood.

Reason I say this I always access BI either using UI3 or the mobile app so apart from the rare RDP access I hardly ever actually logon to the PC.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the remarks. I agree a fresh install would be best, but I would have to buy it then. MS just keeps asking me if I want to upgrade over the top, so I guess I will just keep saying NO.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the remarks. I agree a fresh install would be best, but I would have to buy it then. MS just keeps asking me if I want to upgrade over the top, so I guess I will just keep saying NO.
You shouldn't have to buy Windows 11. Just download the Windows 11 Media Creation tool from Microsoft. The installation process should see that your PC is eligible for a free update if you were upgrading a PC that was already running an older licensed version of Windows.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Dell PC most likely has the Windows license info embedded in the BIOS chip so you can still do a clean install and get the new version of Windows activated at no charge.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Dell PC most likely has the Windows license info embedded in the BIOS chip so you can still do a clean install and get the new version of Windows activated at no charge.
Thanks for that info. much appreciated.

G.

Reaction score
As far as my PCs are concerned, I am of the mind, that just like we say about cam's firmware, unless I need/want something in the new version, I will leave things alone. So until I can't use Win 10 anymore, I will stay on that.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Even if it hadn't isn't Windows 11 upgrade free? In which case there will be universal keys....or there's ShowKeyPlus.

If these aren't easily discoverable a simple way would be run the upgrade, then once Win 11 is installed, download and run "ShowKeyPlus". It's a free APP I've always found to be safe and has been around for years. It will show your windows key on your desktop. From here you can write it down so if you ever need to re-install you have your key details (I prefer to screenshoot and print mine).

Then in the case of wanting a clean installation, download the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool. Run it. CHoose to create media (you will need a USB stick). Choose to copy the Windows Installer to the USB. When it's done, reboot with the stick in and follow the instructions. There are full instructions with the media creation tool / on windows website in case I missed anything in this quick over view....

...and BTW choose the lowest form of installation, ie the one what wipes everything and formats the disk to get a truly clean installation. There are usually about 5 different installtion options. For a truly clean installation you need everything gone and discs formatted.

BTW many would say skip the MS account set up after installation as otherwise you'll always be logged in and having them collecting and associating all your pc data with your account. I believe you can choose to skip this step or say you want offline installation to avoid this and choose a pin number to log in instead. 9at 1st login / setup screen where it asks you to set up a MS account, look around the bottom of the page for skip or use offline or similar in small writing.

When it asks for an actvation key, type in the number your wrote down and you should be good to go.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Even if it hadn't isn't Windows 11 upgrade free? In which case there will be universal keys....or there's ShowKeyPlus.
It is only free if the PC was previously licensed for W10. If for example the pc was shipped with no OS or linux you would need to pay for a windows license. There is a recent thread where someone purchased an ebay pc that never had a windows license associated with it and required a new license.
In the OP's case he doesnt need any key. He can just perform a clean install with a USB made by the media creation tool. The license is embedded.

MS now makes a bigger effort to force you to use an account to setup w11. You can no longer simply unplug the ethernet and do an offline install.
This OOBE method works for me.

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I find all new Microsoft products be be extremely annoying and pretentious. Constant popups as if their features are the highlight of your day. Much effort to tweak to make it stop only to revert on the next sneaky update. I thought the talking paperclip was bad.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is only free if the PC was previously licensed for W10. If for example the pc was shipped with no OS or linux you would need to pay for a windows license. There is a recent thread where someone purchased an ebay pc that never had a windows license associated with it and required a new license.
In the OP's case he doesnt need any key. He can just perform a clean install with a USB made by the media creation tool. The license is embedded.

MS now makes a bigger effort to force you to use an account to setup w11. You can no longer simply unplug the ethernet and do an offline install.
I recently built a new PC to use as a Blue Iris server. Asus Z590 motherboard with an Intel i7-11700 CPU with integrated graphics. After doing a clean install of Windows 11 using the Media creation tool, I thought I was going to have to buy a license for Windows 11. But I had an old Windows 8 Pro installation disk laying around and used the Product ID code from that. It worked! Windows 11 is now activated. :)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score

I was surprised the other day re-installing Win 10 on my BI pc (before the fault became apparent to most probably be the POE). I was expecting to have to use one of the work arounds to dodge the dreaded account when it simply showed a work offline button at the bottom left of the setup screen despite being connected to the internet. Windows activate correctly after that and the PC accessed via a pin number instead.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was surprised the other day re-installing Win 10 on my BI pc (before the fault became apparent to most probably be the POE). I was expecting to have to use one of the work arounds to dodge the dreaded account when it simply showed a work offline button at the bottom left of the setup screen despite being connected to the internet. Windows activate correctly after that and the PC accessed via a pin number instead.
It's a Windows 11 thing I don't know if they're doing it for Windows 10... Others have reported that they can simply unplug even on Windows 11 but I was unable to use an offline account until I ran the OOBE command on 3 new systems...