What email service are you guys using for alerts?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was using gmail but ever since i started using google authenticator it wont let BI use it.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sending out of BI with hotmail(Outlook) to a little used Gmail account. Then I got outbound and inbound storage. I was sending from hotmail to and receiving to hotmail but the mail box gets full too soon.

Reaction score
I needed something....faster than email. I resorted to Blue Iris sending me IVS triggered MMS alerts when away from home. Unsure of the picture quality between email & MMS but it's fast. Anywhere between 2-3 seconds to get the alert to my phone.

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I needed something....faster than email. I resorted to Blue Iris sending me IVS triggered MMS alerts when away from home. Unsure of the picture quality between email & MMS but it's fast. Anywhere between 2-3 seconds to get the alert to my phone.
Push notifications from the app reach my phone within a second. Is that not an option for you ?

Reaction score
Push notifications from the app reach my phone within a second. Is that not an option for you ?
I purchased the app. However, due to some security events around my house, I have things working 100%. Afraid to tinker, actually :) Though things are calming down. I still have my Dahua VTO/VTH's to really setup, the Blue Iris app, etc.
I believe, you need either port forwarding (ewwww) or VPN tunnel to use the app? I have a VPN tunnel built, but only use it sporadically...it's not 24/7.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I purchased the app. However, due to some security events around my house, I have things working 100%. Afraid to tinker, actually :) Though things are calming down. I still have my Dahua VTO/VTH's to really setup, the Blue Iris app, etc.
I believe, you need either port forwarding (ewwww) or VPN tunnel to use the app? I have a VPN tunnel built, but only use it sporadically...it's not 24/7.
Aren't MMS texts sent via SMTP anyway?

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use a gmail account made just to send the alerts. I just set up push notifications yesterday though and I think I like the speed of those better than gmail!

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I use push notifications to my iPhone. Usually receive the alert within 1-2 seconds. I also use the Critical Alert feature overnight which is great!

Reaction score
We have a USG3 and have setup an inbound 24/7 VPN. On our iOS phones we found a little program to install the client which is Always, Manual or not on known WiFI.

Generally we keep the Always on VPN clients and it works very well.

Reaction score
The notification will come through but if you are not connected to the vpn you wont get the image. You can receive an mms text notification with the image.
yea...still gotta look into 24/7 full time VPN. I am not an office dude so not around WiFi much. Is more cellular network. Using Google Fi for my service (no real complaints). My #27 to-do list is to run VPN for entire week while at work and see the bandwidth consumption while using cellular.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yea...still gotta look into 24/7 full time VPN. I am not an office dude so not around WiFi much. Is more cellular network. Using Google Fi for my service (no real complaints). My #27 to-do list is to run VPN for entire week while at work and see the bandwidth consumption while using cellular.
If you setup text alerts you really dont need the full time vpn. Just connect when you get a notification of interest.

Reaction score
Yes, to quickly and instantly view the video. Its faster and easier than ui3 on a phone.
true. Upon a TXT trigger alert with the associated .jpg, if it is something of interest...I have to fire up the VPN tunnel, open chome, select UI3 bookmark, wait for it to log in, find relevant alert in the panel, and check it out. Lengthy process (well, 10-15 seconds). I think I'll start trying to use the app instead and compare. Speed is of the essense in such matters.