What Hikvision NVR for 4MP Cameras

rcopus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've read a lot of threads on here and data sheets from Hikvision and can say I'm still not much wiser on what NVR to choose.
I plan on having 7 or 8 DS-2CD2142FDW-I cameras on my system, eventually. So I'll be starting small with 1 or 2 cameras and adding the rest over time.

I had originally planned on getting a DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A however I've read multiple threads on here (and elsewhere) now of people having issues with 4MP cameras and this NVR. People never seem to get to the bottom of it and just buy a better spec'd NVR. But at the same time there are people on here and other places saying the the NVR is more than capable of running 8x 4MP cameras, I've yet to see anyone confirm they have this as their set-up though! Mysteriously the data sheets from Hikvision make the situation no clearer by mentioning every resolution EXCEPT 4MP! :rolleyes:

So, I assume I need one of the more expensive NVR's - would the DS-7616NI-E2/8P do the job? That is claimed to have 160Mbps incoming bandwidth which is more than enough to handle 8x 4MP cameras running at their maximum bitrate. Although as with the 7608 the data sheets make no mention of 4MP, I assume its just an error in the documentation though?

If I had all 7/8 cameras ready to go then I wouldn't hesitate in buying the cheaper 7608 and if it didn't do the job I could return it. But as I'll be building the system over months, I don't want to find out later down the line its not up to the job and have problems trying to return the unit and buy one that does work.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I personally would get this: DS-7616NI-E2/8P or better DS-7616NI-E2/16P, then you have scope for expansion.

I've run DS-7608NI-E2/8P with 8x 4MP cameras no problem. People having issues are user error (it's recording 4MP but I can't see 8x 4MP on my PC with a 2MP monitor) and the occasional, it's not the cable because I tested it with a 99p tester so it must be fine and I'm not willing to try a different cable. It's not on the older documentation. The newer docs say up to 6MP but I've only tested to 5MP.

If you want to splash the cash then get the DS-7616NI-I2/16P but I don't think the benefits are worth twice the price.

rcopus

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick replies both.

hook3m - I'm in the UK so wanted to get something from a UK based retailer so I'm covered should something not work as it should or become faulty.

Del Boy - Glad you saw this thread as I'd read your responses to others who were having problems but they never got around to full trouble shooting. I think I'll go with the DS-7616NI-E2/8P as the specs are exactly the same as the DS-7616NI-E2/16P save for an extra 8 POE ports. I won't need the extra 8 POE ports because I think 16 cams may be overkill for my house :laugh: Besides the DS-7616NI-E2/8P still supports 16 cams.
Some of the cameras I intend to install probably won't even use the 8 NVR POE ports I do have as it is. I'll be running a few cameras from a location thats detached to the house on a single 1Gbps link, so the POE will be supplied closer to the 'remote' cameras. This will save me having to run multiple ethernet cables (or fibre for extra over-kill!) to my network equipment in the house.

So in summary the DS-7616NI-E2/8P will allow me to record 8x 4MP cameras at their maximum resolution should I want to do that?
When it comes to Live View I guess I'll only be able to watch a single channel when I'm viewing it at the cameras maximum resolution?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick replies both.

hook3m - I'm in the UK so wanted to get something from a UK based retailer so I'm covered should something not work as it should or become faulty.

Del Boy - Glad you saw this thread as I'd read your responses to others who were having problems but they never got around to full trouble shooting. I think I'll go with the DS-7616NI-E2/8P as the specs are exactly the same as the DS-7616NI-E2/16P save for an extra 8 POE ports. I won't need the extra 8 POE ports because I think 16 cams may be overkill for my house :laugh: Besides the DS-7616NI-E2/8P still supports 16 cams.
Some of the cameras I intend to install probably won't even use the 8 NVR POE ports I do have as it is. I'll be running a few cameras from a location thats detached to the house on a single 1Gbps link, so the POE will be supplied closer to the 'remote' cameras. This will save me having to run multiple ethernet cables (or fibre for extra over-kill!) to my network equipment in the house.

So in summary the DS-7616NI-E2/8P will allow me to record 8x 4MP cameras at their maximum resolution should I want to do that?
When it comes to Live View I guess I'll only be able to watch a single channel when I'm viewing it at the cameras maximum resolution?
You might have to get DS-7616NI-E2/16P anyway if you are UK based as the 8P is rare as rocking horse mess and not much of a saving anyway. You can still use a PoE switch with this, in fact I prefer to use a PoE switch from one of the NVR's PoE ports as this means your cameras aren't on your network and aren't exposed should your LAN become compromised, plus there's much less setup and faffing around.

Live-view you can watch them at 9x at maximum resolution I think. I only have 8 attached to my one. But bear in mind it will downscale to your monitor's resolution so there's not much benefit. Most important thing, it's recording at 4MP.

DS-7616NI-E2/16P also has a 1Gbps uplink port.

rcopus

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Del.

I've ordered a DS-7616NI-E2/8P along with a DS-2CD2142FDW-I and a WD 4TB Purple to experiment with.
Fingers crossed the NVR is what it says it is, as the difference in prices from place to place is phenomenal in some cases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Del.

I've ordered a DS-7616NI-E2/8P along with a DS-2CD2142FDW-I and a WD 4TB Purple to experiment with.
Fingers crossed the NVR is what it says it is, as the difference in prices from place to place is phenomenal in some cases.
Yeah it's crazy. Make sure it's definitely the NI and not an N.

Kieran

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Let us know how you get on with the system rcopus - lots of discussion around this topic as you say, so more feedback is always good to hear.

If you want to splash the cash then get the DS-7616NI-I2/16P but I don't think the benefits are worth twice the price.
As a point of potential interest, Hikvision have just released their -K series NVRs in the UK, which aim to serve as a middle-ground between the -E and -I series NVRs in terms of both price and hardware spec. The jump in price to the -I was often a bitter pill to swallow, for sure.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good post Kieran. I think K-series will be the standard in the future. But I still think DS-7616NI-E2 > DS-7608NI-K2 if you are getting 7/8 cameras.

rcopus

n3wb
Reaction score
Sure I'll keep you updated. When they do arrive I'll only have the single camera from day 1 so don't expect to be reporting any problems.
My next port of call would have been the DS-7616NI-K2/16P as the DS-7608NI-K2/8P has the same 80mbps incoming bandwidth that is allegedly causing so many problems with the DS-7608NI-E2/8P and multiple 4MP cameras...

But as I could save £100 getting the E series I went down that route as its effectively another camera or HDD.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I have upgraded from E2 to I2 because E2 had sluggish performance using Web UI and especially with 4MP+ cams. Sure it could handle them but I2 is better in this regard. think of it as iPhone5 to iPhone6s upgrade and how it feels with newer cpu intensive apps.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
More iPhone 5S to iPhone 6S, one was nice and small and did the job, the other is an ugly over-priced monstrosity.

Hands-up those who have 4+ 4MP cams running 4MP live-streams via Firefox or similar. Keep your hands up if you have a >16MP monitor for that setup.

I2 is better than E2 but it's way over-priced. It's an overkill that most users (not you klasipca) won't use the benefits of.

Scarrz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking at getting a DS-7616NI-E2/16 since I've outgrown my cheap Eyesurv ION Series ESDV-NVRION-8 that has served me well. I am mostly looking forward to a better viewing app on my phone and being able to configure via ivms. I was on the fence with just getting a Pc and running BI since I do really like the tool and ease of use. I've found the Eyesurv to be be a little clunky and not as intuitive.

Those that have the HikVision DS7616NI can you comment about its software and ease of use? It looks to be a good step up from my current model.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at getting a DS-7616NI-E2/16 since I've outgrown my cheap Eyesurv ION Series ESDV-NVRION-8 that has served me well. I am mostly looking forward to a better viewing app on my phone and being able to configure via ivms. I was on the fence with just getting a Pc and running BI since I do really like the tool and ease of use. I've found the Eyesurv to be be a little clunky and not as intuitive.

Those that have the HikVision DS7616NI can you comment about its software and ease of use? It looks to be a good step up from my current model.
The mobile app is clunky on the hikvision as well and not conducive to quick video review..

Scarrz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I've heard good things about the BI app.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you can't set it up then you shouldn't be putting your own cameras up. It's that easy.

Scarrz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Who said I couldn't set it up? Simply asking how's the interface since I've not used Hikvision before.

No offense, but you come off as quite arrogant. It's that simple.

Last edited by a moderator: