What if I connect reverse polarity? (adding 12V backup UPS)

Cossie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I want to add backup UPS to my DS-2CD2032. Here is the 12V adapter with UPS: http://shop.tuncmatik.com/tuncmatik-nano-ups-standard-edition-modem-ups-165

I can't reach the camera from inside. I will cut the old adapter's cable and stick its wires to the UPS's plug but how can I know which cable must be inside of the plug or outside of the plug if they were unmarked? Is reverse polarity an issue for the camera? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
use the old plug to test and tell you the polarity.. if it has diodes on the power input you wont do any damage by reversing the polarity, but if it does not you'll destroy it.. wanna take the chance?

Cossie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So do you think the DS-2CD2032 has a diode? I remember when I first got it. I was tried it with a very old adapter, which has polarity change switch. I tried the both option, no damage happened. But it wasn't enough for power up the camera also. I know diodes from college lecture, they are very cheap material and it should have a diode I think? How can I test it?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hikvision cameras all have diode protection, but no thermal fusing.
What's recommended is fitting a UPS to a POE switch, this show give you about 20-40 mins for a small UPS.

If your working on the cheaper side an Alarm Power Supply with a 7amp battery, with an SD card fitted in the camera should give you a least 4+ hours

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
selling something without a power supply and no reverse polarity protection would be fairly dense.. the cost is minimal for something so low power.

most consumer electronics are well protected now days, seems like you got your answer.. but its not safe to assume, we know what tha'll make you..

but I agree, put a UPS on your PoE, my PoE midspan lets me set ports to priority, then when network battery UPS gets low enough it can shut off devices to keep others up.. when power goes out for more than a few mins most my voip phones and the cat-door camera go offline.

Cossie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm end-user :) I don't have a PoE or NVR. It's recording to micro-sd. Even no ethernet cable plugged. Power cord is the only cord. Ethernet cable was so thick for the window's metal body. It has wi-fi but not powerful enough, I'm using my old camera TP-link NC200 in extender mode at inside of the window. It has much more powerful wi-fi than the Hikvision. You can buy it just for the wi-fi extender feature. Cloud camera feature is the bonus :)

I can buy a standart 650VA line-interactive UPS and just plug the adapter to it: http://www.istanbulbilisim.com.tr/apc-bx650li-gr-back-ups-650va-230v-avr-schuko-sockets-guc-fiyati,150816.html?gclid=CNyo14jo48wCFWoz0wod-TsO2A

But I know that 12V 7A batteries are not long lasting. 3.7V Li-polymer batteries are better i think? My 5 years old smartphone still has a great battery life.

Last edited by a moderator: