What IR illuminator would be best?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the mountain of info Nayr....i see a lot of pics from behind but do you have any shots when the vehicle is facing the camera with headlights on!
Contemplating throwing a few cams out the front of my place and being a test pilot :)
Thankyou for the massive amount of data to crunch mate!!
here yeh go

Attachments

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
$200 like on the Ebay link is much more reasonable for a really good illuminator.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
$200 like on the Ebay link is much more reasonable for a really good illuminator.
I think that's crazy still. And I think the cctv kits ones are crazy expensive too. I'd rather get another camera with IR for that price.

- - - Updated - - -

plenty of options in the UK http://www.cctvkits.co.uk/illuminators.html , i have 3 of these http://www.cctvkits.co.uk/15-il01-25-metre-range-ir-led-flood-lamp.html for use with my 4mp Hikvision mini dome's.
and before the IR LED Flood Light
Pan your camera left so you no longer are videoing so much of the wall. It'll make a big difference and it's free.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not too crazy when you see the price of DarkFlighter or Starlight Cameras

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think that's crazy still. And I think the cctv kits ones are crazy expensive too. I'd rather get another camera with IR for that price.

Pan your camera left so you no longer are videoing so much of the wall. It'll make a big difference and it's free.

whole point is i don't want too, i want the door the centre focus of the cam, too much distortion at edge if i pan left. besides, it still is no where near as good at illuminating the wall with path behind it as the IR flood light.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Of course it's not as good as having an IR flood light but you also get less of the problems with having an IR flood light and it's worth people doing first because it's free.

Do what you want, they are your cameras, have the wrong lens length and set them up non-optimally too.

It is a bit odd that your after is taken before your before pic and that the IR flood light has lit up the sky at night. I'm guessing you played with the settings on the camera or something.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good point but different quality. I dunno, would rather have PIR LED floodlight.
I'd rather not have the light pollution, Ive got 360 degree view around my house and im not keen on bathing it in light.. its not like motion lights do anything but give prowlers the opportunity to put up there flashlight.. with adequate IR the quality difference between a big sensor camera is quite minimal, with the biggest performance gap being simply power consumption.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is a bit odd that your after is taken before your before pic and that the IR flood light has lit up the sky at night. I'm guessing you played with the settings on the camera or something.

no, i just turned off the IR flood, and the the cam IR back on, just to show the difference.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
no, i just turned off the IR flood, and the the cam IR back on, just to show the difference.
In that case I'm more impressed by it than I thought I would be!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather not have the light pollution, Ive got 360 degree view around my house and im not keen on bathing it in light.. its not like motion lights do anything but give prowlers the opportunity to put up there flashlight.. with adequate IR the quality difference between a big sensor camera is quite minimal, with the biggest performance gap being simply power consumption.
Maybe different in the states but PIR Flood light is a good deterrent here in the UK.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is a current snapshot what it is currently. thats just the IR Flood, IR on cam is turned off.
192.168.2.9_02_20160531014931529.jpg
the IR Food light is 850nm

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Del Boy, they are common of course.. but deterrent? maby 25 years ago when they didnt know lights could turn them selves on.. today? they dont flench or even react.. go check out the captures section on this forum and find me one instance where a motion light came on and the prowler even gave it a passing thought.

They are entirely ineffective, and I'd argue your just giving them light to get there work done quicker in.. make em use a flashlight and the'll be more likely to be seen than with your security lights.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Del Boy, they are common of course.. but deterrent? maby 25 years ago when they didnt know lights could turn them selves on.. today? they dont flench or even react.. go check out the captures section on this forum and find me one instance where a motion light came on and the prowler even gave it a passing thought.

They are entirely ineffective, and I'd argue your just giving them light to get there work done quicker in.
exactly, thats why i went for dawn till dusk IR flood lights i have 3 in total.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

They are entirely ineffective, and I'd argue your just giving them light to get there work done quicker in.. make em use a flashlight and the'll be more likely to be seen than with your security lights.
Oh I see what you mean now.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is a current snapshot what it is currently. thats just the IR Flood, IR on cam is turned off.

the IR Food light is 850nm
I was kidding about it being before and after. The before is definitely with the IR from the Hik mini dome because it's rubbish.

I guess turning off the IR on the cam has helped too!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
image means nothing, what gain and shutter speed are you running at @andyblac I bet its quit a bit better than most people with 4mp 1/3"

Last edited by a moderator: