what is a good quality DVR for 16 Dahua cameras

Reaction score
asking for a friend, no truly as he is not ready for BI and a computer yet

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're using Dahua cameras, the only sane NVR choice is a Dahua NVR, otherwise you lose access to some of the best camera features. I think most of us on the forum with Dahua NVRs are running aome variant of the 52xx series, and I have the sense the 5216 is the most common. Some run the 42xx series, which is a cost/performance/features tradeoff. I've used a version 1 5216-4ks2 for a few years. It has had crash/hang type failures less than once a year leading me to say it has stellar reliability. As with all of NVRs and cameras, the firmware is buggy. If there are bugs in a feature you care about it can be maddening, or you could be lucky and not run into the bugs. The other decisions are (1) How many ports, and (2) Built-in or external POE switch. If your friend already has 16 cameras planned it might be wise to get a 32 channel NVR. Otherwise he's stuck if ever wanting to add another camera. On the POE switch, I prefer using an external switch for 3 reasons: (1) Less money tied up in the NVR makes it less painful to change it out, (2) Don't have to replace the NVR is the switch fails, (3) Loud NVR fan if switch is built in. The system is more plug-and-play with the built-in POE switch, and there are probably other good arguments for it I'm not familiar with. Based on forum posts, the biggest issue with Dahua NVRs is when there a problem while trying to install a firmware upgrade.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
DVR - digital video recorder Uses coax connectors and analog cameras.
NVR - network video recorder. USES RJ45 connectors and IP cameras.

Provide the model numbers of the cameras so you get the correct recommendation.

Reaction score
he is looking at picking up 2 of these IPC-HDW5831R-ZE Eyeball Network Camera in addition to the 8 other Dahua cameras he just had installed

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your friend is falling for the Lie "more megapixels are better" The camera that is specified has a smaller sensor 1/2.5, the a good 1/1.8 sensor on the IPC-HDW5442-ZE variable focus is much better, even if it is a bullet camera. If you need night coverage then you should only get dahua starlight cameras

If they are using a high MP camera, then they will need a heavy duty NVR. Just because an NVR will support 16 cameras does mean that it can support 16 8MP (4K) cameras. pay close attention to the incoming bandwidth. A lot of NVR will run out of bandwidth and CPU power before they run out of ports. Look at the decoding specs.

What is the MP rating on each camera and what is the expected frame rate on each camera. Calculate your bandwidth requirements.