what is causing BI fragmentation to happen so rapidly

Reaction score
overnight it will go to 29% and in 3 days the drive will stop writing altogether

its on a 4 TB purple and it was doing the same on a 3 TB blue

what setting do I have wrong or am missing?

thanks for the help

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
overnight it will go to 29% and in 3 days the drive will stop writing altogether

its on a 4 TB purple and it was doing the same on a 3 TB blue

what setting do I have wrong or am missing?

thanks for the help
The drive will stop writing if you over allocate the storage. This will be displayed in red on the bottom of the interface.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Provide a screen shot of the status clip storage.
If there is any red, then you have allocation errors.
Never allocate more than 90% of the drive spa e to bi.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think file fragmentation is your problem. I don't think I've had to worry about fragmentation since the days of Windows XP or earlier.

Provide screenshots of the New and Stored folders on your Clips and archiving tab (plus other folders if you use them) in addition to the Clip storage tab of Blue Iris Status.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of your screenshots are too cropped, and your paths are really strange, like saving the clip db straight into your user folder and it looks like you installed Blue Iris 5 to the root of drive S. And I think I'm seeing a Blue Iris 4 folder too but can't tell where that is.

Anyway, if "Stored" is on the same drive as "New" then you should just disable "Stored". Configure "New" to use most of your drive and not to expire recordings after 7 days like it is now.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I see, Blue Iris 4 is in S:\Blue Iris and Blue Iris 5 is in S:\

While this is extremely unconventional, I see no reason why it would actually break your recording setup.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Team question ????
if the database in in the user folder and BI is running as a service can it access the user folder?

Why did you change the folders. Use the standard folder names and only change the drive letters.
is the S drive a local drive ?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What is your stored set to?

Also what the reasoning behind moving the DB path to your profile folder?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's not the default when Blue Iris is installed. The defaults are:

C:\Blue Iris\db
C:\Blue Iris\alerts
C:\Blue Iris\new
C:\Blue Iris\stored

Anything different, was changed by the person installing the software.

Reaction score
It's not the default when Blue Iris is installed. The defaults are:

C:\Blue Iris\new

Anything different, was changed by the person installing the software.
well it would fill up my 500 gig SSD in no time at all if I did that, which is why I put it on a 4tb purple drive. plus I try to keep all my large storage on separate drives for example my 1.5 tb of of dropbox is on a separate drive on all my PC's.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
well it would fill up my 500 gig SSD in no time at all if I did that, which is why I put it on a 4tb purple drive. plus I try to keep all my large storage on separate drives for example my 1.5 tb of of dropbox is on a separate drive on all my PC's.
Yes, I know this. I was simply replying to the fact that you stated Blue Iris by default put the database on C:\Users\Mike. It didn't.

Anyways, there is absolutely no need to use stored, if you are putting new and stored on the same drive. Also alerts can be on C as well. I'd do the following:

S:\Blue Iris\new

Under new, uncheck limit clip age, and change 'move to folder' to 'delete' instead.

A 4tb hard drive has 3726gb useable space. Change the 'limit size' for NEW to 3540gb (leaving 5% free). This is assuming you have nothing else on that drive.
Change the limit size for Stored to 0.