What is everyone using for storage?

SlimCookie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello! I have a dedicated SFF PC running Blue Iris. I'm looking at adding storage to my setup.

I have a rack in my house that houses networking and home automation devices (POE switch, SmartThings, Hue, Sonos...etc.)

I was really leaning towards running a NAS setup but DAMN they're expensive. Overall, I would like to store video for 10-15 days w/ approx 4-5 cameras. I would also like to have the ability to have network accessible files and access to them across all of my devices (tablet, phone, laptop and PC).

My question: What type of storage are you using? What is budget friendly that meets my needs? I've researched and found WD type Personal Cloud storage devices but I'm also reading that they're junk.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your storage depends on the MP/Sec of your cameras, If you are running continuous recording, the frame rate of your cameras.

I do not recommend external hard drives for your primary storage. Most packaged external drives are crap, they are not designed for continuous writing.
The recommend configuration is an SSD for your C drive, this is for the Windows OS and BI installation. Then use a WD purple drive for primary video storage.

I am running 450 MP/Sec and store 11 days on a 4TB drive.

SlimCookie

n3wb
Reaction score
Your storage depends on the MP/Sec of your cameras, If you are running continuous recording, the frame rate of your cameras.

I do not recommend external hard drives for your primary storage. Most packaged external drives are crap, they are not designed for continuous writing.
The recommend configuration is an SSD for your C drive, this is for the Windows OS and BI installation. Then use a WD purple drive for primary video storage.

I am running 450 MP/Sec and store 11 days on a 4TB drive.
Thanks for the reply! I haven't decided on how many cameras to install just yet. +1 on the WD Purple HDD. I can add a second HDD to my SFF PC if I remove the CD drive...which who uses those now a days?!

Are you running continuous recording?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I continuous record on all my cameras. The the price of storage is cheap so I continuous record, better than missing an important event.