What is going on with BlueIris?

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok... so I'm new to BlueIris... but something is going on that I can't explain. Two things actually...

Problem 1) It will run fine for hours at around 20-30% CPU - Then out of nowhere, it will spike to 95-100% CPU - and basically lock up my PC where it remains essentially stuck until I force BlueIris to shut down and restart it.

I have plenty of System Resources:

128 GB of memory
NVidia GeForce RTX 4090 GPU
I have BlueIris installed on a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD (Drive "C")
I have NEW storage for BlueIris set to it's own 2TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD (Drive "S")
I have backup "Stored" (long term storage) going to a 14TB drive (Drive "T")
I am running the latest updated version of BlueIris - 7.7.9.1 x64 (8/8/2023)

Currently running 14 cameras.

Problem 2) Earlier today, I was watching a clip playback of a suspicious car. I flagged the clip and I protected the clip. Then out of nowhere BlueIris shut down. When I relaunched it, that clip, and all others within a few minutes before/after that clip are GONE. To make things even more strange... now it seems like BlueIris is removing more clips from the "all clips" section... (pointed out in pictures attached to this thread). Now pretty much everything prior to 9:56 PM from today is GONE, as well as pretty much all of yesterday. The physical files (which I assume are the .bvr files ARE still physically on the drive, and I would like to keep them for a safe backup of this suspicious car... but I have no idea how to play them other than from within blueiris.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on with these two problems? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

BlueIris.png

BlueIris2.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Memory leak with a driver probably for the CPU spike.

How much memory did you allocate for the New folder? Sounds like not enough.

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
have you run an online malware scant like ESET?

ESET scanner
Yes, definitely not malware. I own/run an IT business... I run scans daily - Network and system security are at the top of my list of priorities. But regardless I can't even imagine how malware would act in this nature, specifically targeting 1 thing... If anything I'd be losing files... not database entries in 1 program... It's got to have something to do with BlueIris.

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Step 1, disable auto update. Step 2 revert back to the last known stable version.
I already have auto-updates disabled... I've been accepting the updates as they come in, which has been a couple in the last few days... I thought about reverting back, but wasn't sure if I should try to have blueiris "repair the db" first (right now that's set to happen at 2 am) - but I figured I'd some here first and ask because I don't like the wording of the repair DB because it combines it with "compact" - "Compact/repair DB" - on one hand, a DB repair may fix the problem and bring the videos back into BI... on the other hand it may purge the files, depending on what they mean by "compact". Was hoping someone here would know.

And then the question is... if I do "repair the DB" - will reverting back to the "older" version mess anything up....

The one thing I've learned from this is that I shouldn't be so quick to adapt new versions! lol

storage.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I already have auto-updates disabled... I've been accepting the updates as they come in, which has been a couple in the last few days... I thought about reverting back, but wasn't sure if I should try to have blueiris "repair the db" first (right now that's set to happen at 2 am) - but I figured I'd some here first and ask because I don't like the wording of the repair DB because it combines it with "compact" - "Compact/repair DB" - on one hand, a DB repair may fix the problem and bring the videos back into BI... on the other hand it may purge the files, depending on what they mean by "compact". Was hoping someone here would know.

And then the question is... if I do "repair the DB" - will reverting back to the "older" version mess anything up....

The one thing I've learned from this is that I shouldn't be so quick to adapt new versions! lol

View attachment 169880
The new versions are beta. They should never be used in a production system. I would revert back either way. Then delete the DB folder and let it regenerate.

Reaction score
Yes, definitely not malware. I own/run an IT business... I run scans daily - Network and system security are at the top of my list of priorities. But regardless I can't even imagine how malware would act in this nature, specifically targeting 1 thing... If anything I'd be losing files... not database entries in 1 program... It's got to have something to do with BlueIris.
check out what SpyBoy!MSR does

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The new versions are beta. They should never be used in a production system. I would revert back either way. Then delete the DB folder and let it regenerate.
Good to know... I assumed that prompted updates would have been stable version updates and any beta would have been a manual download/install. Good to know that isn't the case for the future. Thank you.

I have uninstalled, and reinstalled version 5.7.8.3 x64 (8/4/2023) - Latest stable version.

Re-launched BlueIris, and now there are no video clips. So I went ahead and scheduled a DB repair, and still nothing. Got any ideas on how to force BI to rebuild/regenerate the DB from the files in the directory?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to know... I assumed that prompted updates would have been stable version updates and any beta would have been a manual download/install. Good to know that isn't the case for the future. Thank you.

I have uninstalled, and reinstalled version 5.7.8.3 x64 (8/4/2023) - Latest stable version.

Re-launched BlueIris, and now there are no video clips. So I went ahead and scheduled a DB repair, and still nothing. Got any ideas on how to force BI to rebuild/regenerate the DB from the files in the directory?
This is why there are latest updates vs stable updates.
delete the db folder and restart

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you delete the DB folder, all of the alert "clips" that you see to the left are deleted. They are essentially pointers of triggers to the DB file. All new triggers will show the "clips" but nothing before the delete. But the BVR files still remain.

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you delete the DB folder, all of the alert "clips" that you see to the left are deleted. They are essentially pointers of triggers to the DB file. All new triggers will show the "clips" but nothing before the delete. But the BVR files still remain.
is there any way to view the BVR files as video? ie converting them to mp4 or something?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
is there any way to view the BVR files as video? ie converting them to mp4 or something?
You can view them in BI, select clips from the dropdown.
You can also simply click on the file and it will open in blue iris. You can then export it.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I appear to be on 5.7.9.1. Not sure how that happened but I'm not showing signs of any leak.

I'm showing 5% cpu and 6% ram after being up for over 10 hours (I rebooted last night as I reinstalled the 10.1 version of CPAI).

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can view them in BI.
You can view them in BI, select clips from the dropdown.
You can also simply click on the file and it will open in blue iris. You can then export it.
wow do I feel dumb right now... sometimes the simple answer is the right one.... I should have applied KISS - which I often remind my clients of. (Keep it simple stupid!) - I was clearly overthinking it... tried renaming to mp4, tried looking for a converter... NEVER tried simply double clicking to open it in BI.... I'm embarrassed. This must be how my clients feel sometimes! lol Thank you both for your help! :) Not going to worry about a DB rebuild now, I have the 5 important files I need.

Thanks again!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Set you DB to rebuild every night in the middle of the night. With regular maintenance it only takes seconds.