What is "record no signal and inactive frames" option

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just noticed a check box for "record no signal and inactive frames" under the camera record tab. I could not find it in the help file or searching here.

Can someone explain this better? It is checked by default.
I maybe get the "No signal" part as I have some cameras that are purposely offline or maybe when others temporarily drop, maybe it won't keep recording the "no signal" image?

Not sure what is meant by inactive frames.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just noticed a check box for "record no signal and inactive frames" under the camera record tab. I could not find it in the help file or searching here.

Can someone explain this better? It is checked by default.
I maybe get the "No signal" part as I have some cameras that are purposely offline or maybe when others temporarily drop, maybe it won't keep recording the "no signal" image?

Not sure what is meant by inactive frames.
its noted in the release notes.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Saw that...
  • A new option on the Record tab which can be unselected to prevent the recording of no-signal and inactive camera frames
...but do not really understand it.
no signal...I think I get...who would want the no signal message recorded anyway IMO.
No idea what no recording of "inactive frames" means. I envision, no motion, no activity in the image = inactive frames, no recording...maybe...but probably wrong which is why I searched for more information first then asked here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Saw that...
  • A new option on the Record tab which can be unselected to prevent the recording of no-signal and inactive camera frames
...but do not really understand it.
no signal...I think I get...who would want the no signal message recorded anyway IMO.
No idea what no recording of "inactive frames" means. I envision, no motion, no activity in the image = inactive frames, no recording...maybe...but probably wrong which is why I searched for more information first then asked here.
no, no motion is still getting active frames from the camera...
pretty sure he means when a camera is set to inactive profile/mode

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So why would anyone ever want that unchecked?

aerostar

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I have a related question. Would it be fair to say that recording "no signal" conditions would be useful to help synchronize clips from various, related cameras that captured video of the same event on say, for example a video editing app timeline? In other words, you could just drop the clips from each camera onto a video editor timeline and (assuming you have clips broken up into the same size in BI) they would all be the same length and would be synced on the timeline?

andycots

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone got any further clarity on this and i understand the above statement which sounds feasible, just making sure i am not wasting more actual interesting recording space.

Thanks

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
when a camera loses signal, BI shows a "No Signal" placeholder. when you set a camera to be inactive during certain profiles, BI shows a placeholder. when you have the box checked, these placeholders will get recorded to the BVR file just like video from a camera does. with the box unchecked, they will not record and the recording will simply skip the inactive parts and only record when the camera is active.