What is safe to order? DS-7616NI-I2/16P DS-2CD2942F DS-2CD3345-I

curado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been going through piles of hikvision cameras and NVRs on Amazon, and seeing a lot of reviews mentioning the Chinese versions of their products. It's hard to tell the difference which suppliers are US vs Chinese, or if it really makes a difference for that matter. Just don't want to order the wrong thing and end up with something that can't be hacked to English at the minimum or never upgraded.

Would this be an OK pick for the NVR?
https://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-7616NI-I2-Recorder-Integrated-Embedded/dp/B01BXOPV0K/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1468901717&sr=1-3&keywords=DS-+7616NI-I2/16P&tag=ipctk-20

My needs are:
1. ONVIF
2. H.265 (is this a need?)
3. POE appliance
4. Dual-stream (not sure if the NVR plays a role in this as much as the cameras?)
5. NVR support for 180* panoramic digital PTZ /dewarping (or is this only supported in the higher end pano cameras?)
6. Dual hard drives would be nice.
7. Don't care about 4k, but would like an appliance that can record 3mp cameras while yawning.

Would be willing to investigate other brands but seems like Hikvision also has VERY good cameras. Cheap too.

For outdoors:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA50K3S48240&cm_re=DS-2CD3345-I-_-0YH-00CE-000S7-_-Product

For weather protected areas:
https://www.amazon.com/Upgradable-Hikvision-2560x1440-panorama-DS-2CD2942F-IWS/dp/B01G50SA8W/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1468901937&sr=8-8&keywords=hikvision+fisheye&tag=ipctk-20

Thanks for anyone that would be willing to comment on their experiences with the above.

Here's what's being replaced:
despair.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Before purchasing those cams, read up on china region hikvision cameras and the fact that you cannot update firmware.

curado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These are tempting also.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JPJJPQC/ref=twister_B0191GKWKG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&tag=ipctk-20

But reviewers are complaining about the Chinese version having issues with audio. Seems like a huge hassle and it's not really that obvious where to get the US version. Every one I have looked at so far has mentioned "Brown box" or "Chinese day of week" or "region mismatch."

I would assume the NVR with P/N beginning with 76XX is US version at least?

curado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
3345 only 50Hz. if you in usa. don't buy.
I have numerous cameras running 50hz in north america and they work fine. I just received my DS-7608NI-I2 from China and all worked fine as soon as plugged into 6 Hik cameras that were all from China. I gave up on Blue Iris after many years of useing it as too many constant update failures which the software is fine if you have an extra 10 hours a week to play with it. The only camera I need to figure out is my Imporx V2 10X that needs some ONVIF config but I have only had the NVR for 24 hours. Now wait for the Blue Iris sales team to chime in its defence!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
50Hz will work but you might get light interference. It's better to stick to 60Hz if you are NA. If the camera is round back with no lighting then it'll make no difference. If there's a lot of lighting then you might get flicker depending on the type of lighting.

Recommending 50Hz in America as "they work fine" without understanding the whole 50Hz vs 60Hz or explaining that isn't a great idea.

If you are getting a DS-7608NI-I2 for the extra cash then stick with camera that can take firmware updates. And don't buy from Amazon, get from Nelly's, milkisbad or someone reputable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have numerous cameras running 50hz in north america and they work fine. I just received my DS-7608NI-I2 from China and all worked fine as soon as plugged into 6 Hik cameras that were all from China. I gave up on Blue Iris after many years of useing it as too many constant update failures which the software is fine if you have an extra 10 hours a week to play with it. The only camera I need to figure out is my Imporx V2 10X that needs some ONVIF config but I have only had the NVR for 24 hours. Now wait for the Blue Iris sales team to chime in its defence!!!
Blue iris is rock solid. You simply have no clue as to what you are doing and failed to take advice given on this forum. Do you think my machines as well as many others here who run multiple instances of blue iris are magical. Also most telling is that you have not used BI4 and were still running BI3 (which is 2.5 years old). My 20+ machines run perfectly without any interaction.
I resent the fact that you call users here the "blue iris sales team" as we have zero affiliation with the developer. You have the NVR for 24 hours. Lets see how it works out for you...the hikvision NVR is a joke compared to blue iris.
If you think users here have no issues with their hikvision NVR's I can point you to those threads....
You also dont get the fact that in certain lighting conditions not having the 60hz option can be problematic.
Its unfortunate that inexperienced users like yourself make clueless camera and nvr/vms recommendations to others. Costing them time and money. Most troubling is that you never really used blue iris correctly when you had it. You further blatantly trash blue iris in your posts despite the fact that it was never previously mentioned in the thread. What you suffer from is user error.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Blue iris is rock solid. You simply have no clue as to what you are doing and failed to take advice given on this forum. Do you think my machines as well as many others here who run multiple instances of blue iris are magical. Also most telling is that you have not used BI4 and were still running BI3 (which is 2.5 years old). My 20+ machines run perfectly without any interaction.
I resent the fact that you call users here the "blue iris sales team" as we have zero affiliation with the developer. You have the NVR for 24 hours. Lets see how it works out for you...the hikvision NVR is a joke compared to blue iris.
If you think users here have no issues with their hikvision NVR's I can point you to those threads....
You also dont get the fact that in certain lighting conditions not having the 60hz option can be problematic.
Its unfortunate that inexperienced users like yourself make clueless camera and nvr/vms recommendations to others. Costing them time and money. Most troubling is that you never really used blue iris correctly when you had it. You further blatantly trash blue iris in your posts despite the fact that it was never previously mentioned in the thread. What you suffer from is user error.
Did I not warn all of the infamous argumentative Blue Iris salesman...lol.. Times have changed it has it's day no way it can keep up with all the changes out there compared to multi billion dollar manufactures of the cameras and systems. Also where is the "trashed" just stating my working with it which it was good over the last number of years. I just don't have the time every week to keep up with program changes etc. I vote plug in a nvr and enjoy your life ..tick tick tick

curado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I plan to trial blue iris while I'm waiting on the NVR to show up. I have ispy deployed presently and it's awful. But it has its purposes.

I will post my findings here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did I not warn all of the infamous argumentative Blue Iris salesman...lol.. Times have changed it has it's day no way it can keep up with all the changes out there compared to multi billion dollar manufactures of the cameras and systems. Also where is the "trashed" just stating my working with it which it was good over the last number of years. I just don't have the time every week to keep up with program changes etc. I vote plug in a nvr and enjoy your life ..tick tick tick
Once again the inept liar returns. He has personally never use blue iris 4 and therefore his allegations with respect the updates are blatantly false. Not only is blue is far superior anything that Hikvision has put out, it is superior to many high-priced VMS Solutions. Most importantly you need to stop lying about my connection with blue iris I am in no way connected to blue iris. You further need to stop lying about blue iris needing constant maintenance I have 20 + Blue Iris machines that run for many months before I choose to install an update - simply because I want an added feature. It is clear by your camera recommendations and your basic misunderstandings with respect to camera settings that you are a novice which itself is not a big deal but when a novice gives factually incorrect information to other users it becomes problematic. You need to stop misleading others and take some time to learn IP camera technology as well as the VMS options. Most folks come to blue iris when they see the limitations of a plug in NVR...the notion that blue iris is bad because you need to learn the NEW OPTIONAL FREE features added on a monthly basis is idiotic. How insane do you have to assert that optional new features provided for FREE is a bad thing. Wow.
time to shut your mouth until you used the NVR for more than a day. Furthermore your blue iris use was very basic...you never even used profiles or remote viewing...so for a basic setup like that for an inept novice the NVR might just be the best option...

curado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lol look what I started. So far no one here has directly answered any questions in my thread.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Order from u.s. seller who provides a warranty and support
This +1

Don't cheapskate and try to cut corners and save a few $$$s only to give yourself hours or days of unnecessary stress. When the savings were huge before and the issues were minimal than that made sense. Now the issues are bigger and savings smaller.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if you use them in door with LED lights...then you will see a line in the screen. led 60hz, camera 50hz.

LaurentR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lol look what I started. So far no one here has directly answered any questions in my thread.
Which questions do you have left?
The 2342 and 2542 you linked to are good cameras with all the latest Hik technology (in particular true WDR and H.264+). I have several 2342 and I am very happy with them.

Provided the seller you picked on Amazon is not repackaging hacked Chinese versions, you're in good shape. Rest-of-the-world Hik gear (i.e. non-China-only) is all the same and will work with each other. You get a bonus if your Amazon seller is also providing some kind of warranty directly. I have used NetView on Amazon and they have only shipped proper non-Chinese cameras in USA packaging. I haven't had to use they advertised warranty (yet).

The cameras you linked are not H.265, but they support H.264+ which is currently arguably better as it allows for similar (or better) compression ratios and most std H.264 decoders read those without any issue.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't buy on Amazon for Hikvision gear. You might get Chinese, you might not but you'll definitely not get a supported item. Warranty direct via Amazon Marketplace or eBay isn't worth the paper it's written on (direct from Amazon is different as you can argue with them).

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't buy on Amazon for Hikvision gear. You might get Chinese, you might not but you'll definitely not get a supported item. Warranty direct via Amazon Marketplace or eBay isn't worth the paper it's written on (direct from Amazon is different as you can argue with them).
I would buy Hikvision gear from Amazon. I purchased an English Hikvision 4MP ip cam...seller assisted me with the initial setup problems I had. I wasn't called a liar as was with the seller at Aliexpress.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would buy Hikvision gear from Amazon. I purchased an English Hikvision 4MP ip cam...seller assisted me with the initial setup problems I had. I wasn't called a liar as was with the seller at Aliexpress.
I'm not saying Aliexpress over Amazon. You've had a bad experience on Ali, yes that is one of the risks people should be aware of before buying from there. But equally people need to be aware of the limitations of the warranty at Amazon marketplace or eBay.

I hope your Hikvision doesn't have issues in the future as I feel it's unlikely the seller will help past the date they have to.

curado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The cameras arrived today. One was purchased from Amazon seller "CCTV security Camera". The other came from a seller called "HIKUSA". These are both 4mp cameras supplied in red/white hikvision boxes with english manuals. There are no Chinese symbols written on the back of the cameras, so I am going to assume these are legit non-hacked English versions. The S/N's match the boxes.

I figured even if I received the hacked Chinese ones, they would still be usable either through ONVIF with a non-hikvision NVR, or at least able to work without being updated to latest firmware.

Here are the links again for reference (both are 2.8mm / 4mp):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DH4NFJI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=ipctk-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01580IWNI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=ipctk-20 (with sound)

The NVR is also coming from "CCTV security Camera" but it wasn't available for Prime shipping. I'm thinking China maybe? It's coming via DHL. ETA Monday or later. It is advertised as updatable. I will try to backup the firmware first and then download the latest and see what happens.... it's a $300 risk with hard drive purchased separately. Putting in 4 tb and leaving the other slot open after I get some idea how fast it's burning through space with only 2 cameras, motion detection turned on, and a handful of ONVIFs.

IMG_5400.JPG