What is safe to order? DS-7616NI-I2/16P DS-2CD2942F DS-2CD3345-I

curado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here's the dome camera. Looks OK with the nightvision off. Otherwise it's a blurry mess.

I bought a birdhouse and mounted it to the old basketball goal in my front yard (this is not a utility pole FYI):

http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6zc2g8735JKYzV4dHhreXQ5ODQ/view?usp=sharing
http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6zc2g8735JKTlRBVHFySWpBR0U/view?usp=sharing
http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6zc2g8735JKeUQ3TmhoRm55MDg/view?usp=sharing

Still really enjoying the Blue Iris software. The Hikvision NVR doesn't read MJPEG streams so it's kind of sidelined for now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's blurry with ir because it's reflecting off the wood .

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cameras arrived today. One was purchased from Amazon seller "CCTV security Camera". The other came from a seller called "HIKUSA". These are both 4mp cameras supplied in red/white hikvision boxes with english manuals. There are no Chinese symbols written on the back of the cameras, so I am going to assume these are legit non-hacked English versions. The S/N's match the boxes.

I figured even if I received the hacked Chinese ones, they would still be usable either through ONVIF with a non-hikvision NVR, or at least able to work without being updated to latest firmware.

Here are the links again for reference (both are 2.8mm / 4mp):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DH4NFJI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=ipctk-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01580IWNI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=ipctk-20 (with sound)

The NVR is also coming from "CCTV security Camera" but it wasn't available for Prime shipping. I'm thinking China maybe? It's coming via DHL. ETA Monday or later. It is advertised as updatable. I will try to backup the firmware first and then download the latest and see what happens.... it's a $300 risk with hard drive purchased separately. Putting in 4 tb and leaving the other slot open after I get some idea how fast it's burning through space with only 2 cameras, motion detection turned on, and a handful of ONVIFs.

View attachment 12099
i have 2 of the 2342's and love them. Ordered via Amazon, they were fulfilled by HikVision USA, and the S/N's were WR so i can upgrade. I've heard of a few people ordering and getting the Chinese versions, but it seems that you can return them with no issue if thats the case as long as they are labeled the US version.

I also have a 4 TB WD Purple running and i'm just over halfway thru with 2 of the 4mm 2342s for the last two weeks. I'm gonna keep upgrading until i'm at 6 total and probably upgrade to a 6 TB drive when thats the case if i decide i want to keep the clips for longer.

As far as how big each clip is and how long it'll take to fill the HD up, you can really tinker with the HikVision settings to get different sized files. Check around in the forum for some advice on how to do this, there is a good amount of information out there.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have numerous cameras running 50hz in north america and they work fine. I just received my DS-7608NI-I2 from China and all worked fine as soon as plugged into 6 Hik cameras that were all from China. I gave up on Blue Iris after many years of useing it as too many constant update failures which the software is fine if you have an extra 10 hours a week to play with it. The only camera I need to figure out is my Imporx V2 10X that needs some ONVIF config but I have only had the NVR for 24 hours. Now wait for the Blue Iris sales team to chime in its defence!!!
Hey, if you get the Improx v2 10x working with the Hikvision NVR, please let us know. I ordered a Hikvision NVR last week from China and waiting for my Improx myself from Jack. I want to get it working with my Hikvision NVR.

- - - Updated - - -

i have 2 of the 2342's and love them. Ordered via Amazon, they were fulfilled by HikVision USA, and the S/N's were WR so i can upgrade. I've heard of a few people ordering and getting the Chinese versions, but it seems that you can return them with no issue if thats the case as long as they are labeled the US version.

I also have a 4 TB WD Purple running and i'm just over halfway thru with 2 of the 4mm 2342s for the last two weeks. I'm gonna keep upgrading until i'm at 6 total and probably upgrade to a 6 TB drive when thats the case if i decide i want to keep the clips for longer.

As far as how big each clip is and how long it'll take to fill the HD up, you can really tinker with the HikVision settings to get different sized files. Check around in the forum for some advice on how to do this, there is a good amount of information out there.
Is Hikvision selling direct now on Amazon? I always go through either LTS or ADI to buy my cameras but if they are selling direct, does that mean they'll honor their warranty from Amazon?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is Hikvision selling direct now on Amazon? I always go through either LTS or ADI to buy my cameras but if they are selling direct, does that mean they'll honor their warranty from Amazon?
I don't know if they will honor the warranty, haven't had to check that, my cameras have been working just fine so far. I do know that in the reviews some people said they received the brown box items that had the Chinese versions in it and they had no problems returning them for refunds/new items.

curado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just wanted to update. Haven't had any problems with the Hikvision NVR. It's being used to record at HD 24/7 and then sending the substream video to Blue Iris. For all remote viewing, Blue Iris Android/iPhone/Web is working out fine (although it's not entirely touch free 100% of the time like I would prefer, but it's more than adequate for my purposes). Very surprised how efficient the software is in comparison to iSpy. Quite happy with it for my low end cameras.

I have not tried recording anything above 640x480 with Blue Iris yet or seen how this would affect remote viewing. I wish it supported substreams because then it would be less of an issue for it to recode the substream frames for the purpose of motion detection and remote viewing, but record HD direct to disk for review purposes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have not tried recording anything above 640x480 with Blue Iris yet or seen how this would affect remote viewing. I wish it supported substreams because then it would be less of an issue for it to recode the substream frames for the purpose of motion detection and remote viewing, but record HD direct to disk for review purposes.
Why do you think there is an issue rencoding the main stream for remote viewing...it works smooth as butter. Blue iris doesnt need to reencode for motion detection...it works with direct to disk..

curado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
compared.png

To be fair, I hadn't tried it, but here's a screenshot of my CPU before and after switching just one camera to the main stream. I don't know details of how BI handles cameras internally but I imagine that it has to deal with 307,200 pixels for a 640x480 frame and 4,085,760 pixels for a 2688x1520 frame. Yes perhaps hardware acceleration or some efficient skipping of pixels/only evaluating changed pixels would help with this.

The CPU usage increased about 10% and the remote viewing thumbnail for that camera looks grainier. But it does zoom in nicely :) Are there any other settings I need to configure to optimize it for HV cameras other than recording direct to disk?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 12546

To be fair, I hadn't tried it, but here's a screenshot of my CPU before and after switching just one camera to the main stream. I don't know details of how BI handles cameras internally but I imagine that it has to deal with 307,200 pixels for a 640x480 frame and 4,085,760 pixels for a 2688x1520 frame. Yes perhaps hardware acceleration or some efficient skipping of pixels/only evaluating changed pixels would help with this.

The CPU usage increased about 10% and the remote viewing thumbnail for that camera looks grainier. But it does zoom in nicely :) Are there any other settings I need to configure to optimize it for HV cameras other than recording direct to disk?
Did you enable direct to disk for that camera? its a must.
Also blue iris cannot utilize hardware acceleration because you need intel hd graphics....your processor is a poor choice for a 24/7 vms as its a power hog...a 200-300 haswell i5 system will be way more powerful and can utilize hardware acceleration...it will pay for itself in a year or two...put your current machine on a killawatt meter...

curado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Actually I'd be willing to do that. Any recommendations on a NVR-style case/power supply/motherboard combo that would be ideal for Blue Iris? I would like to plug it into a closet, headless, and not have it heat up to dangerous levels.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually I'd be willing to do that. Any recommendations on a NVR-style case/power supply/motherboard combo that would be ideal for Blue Iris? I would like to plug it into a closet, headless, and not have it heat up to dangerous levels.
Search the forum for optiplex and elite desk...don't buy tiny systems...you want room for local storage...

curado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Perfect... either of those would work, even a used one off ebay. Lower power requirement = my UPS will last longer too.

curado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Went with an optiplex micro 6500T 6th gen i5 $450 (refurbished with return accepted and warranty) and a 1500va ups. Waiting on the UPS guy.

There are also a lot of 4590T 4th gen / micro form factor available on ebay for around $300. All refurbished or used.

Refurbished seems like a gamble. It might have been returned because of buyer's remorse, it might have been blue screening every other day. Never know. If the hard drive dies who cares, but motherboard probs would be a deal breaker.

curado

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I removed the registration from the AMD box and moved it to the 6500T. It's in service and working well. With several MJPEG cameras and 4 Hikvision 4 MP cameras running at full frame rate / full resolution, it's using about 45% with the preview screen closed.

This processor supports Intel Quick Sync video but I don't see any improvement with it turned on. It seems to degrade actually. I have tried both QuickSync acceleration and combinations of QuickSync + VPP. Seems to use more CPU with it on. This is with Direct to Disk recording and the latest version of Blue Iris. Also I updated all of the optiplex drivers to their latest versions. Restarted the service and computer between each test. Seems like 45% is about as good as it's going to get unless there's something misconfigured.

gawker

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like you don't need email function but Want to know for sure your cameras will work after firmware update. Can you try to upgrade to firmware with TLS?