What is the best 4 way ip security camera set that is water resistant

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering what the best 4-way security camera bundle is to get that is water resistant and accessible from anywhere, oh and possibly wireless too. No batteries required.. etc. What's the best deal/brand?.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering what the best 4-way security camera bundle is to get that is water resistant and accessible from anywhere, oh and possibly wireless too. No batteries required.. etc. What's the best deal/brand?.
Wireless without batteries? do you mean solar? what are you trying to accomplish?

Reaction score
Well I was hoping for a solar powered camera I could put into a tree that can handle the elements, which is wireless and can connect to wifi, but then i would proably have to extend my wireless network range because the tree i want one in is far away from my wifi.

But aside from that, I'm gonna need, mainly, cameras that are either wireless or wired (which ever you guys prefer is best for me), and I will be putting one in my attic, point out onto my yard (it needs to have night vision), and it also needs motion detection.

Something like this, according to my dad, miht work:
http://www.amazon.com/DEFENDER-21030-SENTINEL-8-Channel-Resolution/dp/B007ULT4KE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414955560&sr=8-3&keywords=defender

but maybe I need something like that, but only with 4 cameras. He knows someone with this setup and all the features he mentioned seemed interesting and useful to my needs. Is Defender a good brand?.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I was hoping for a solar powered camera I could put into a tree that can handle the elements, which is wireless and can connect to wifi, but then i would proably have to extend my wireless network range because the tree i want one in is far away from my wifi.

But aside from that, I'm gonna need, mainly, cameras that are either wireless or wired (which ever you guys prefer is best for me), and I will be putting one in my attic, point out onto my yard (it needs to have night vision), and it also needs motion detection.

Something like this, according to my dad, miht work:
http://www.amazon.com/DEFENDER-21030-SENTINEL-8-Channel-Resolution/dp/B007ULT4KE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414955560&sr=8-3&keywords=defender

but maybe I need something like that, but only with 4 cameras. He knows someone with this setup and all the features he mentioned seemed interesting and useful to my needs. Is Defender a good brand?.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!.
The defender is complete junk..its an old analog low resolution 600tvl system. Dont even consider it.
If you want 4ch wired, (this is an ip system, the photo is incorrect and shows bnc connectors) http://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-4x4-secrty-sys/prod11570578.ip?navAction=
Or even better http://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-4x4-secrty-sys/prod11570578.ip?navAction=
Or build your own system with hikvision or dahua cams mentioned on this forum.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
The defender is complete junk..its an old analog low resolution 600tvl system. Dont even consider it.
If you want 4ch wired, (this is an ip system, the photo is incorrect and shows bnc connectors) http://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-4x4-secrty-sys/prod11570578.ip?navAction=
Or even better http://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-4x4-secrty-sys/prod11570578.ip?navAction=
Or build your own system with hikvision or dahua cams mentioned on this forum.
So this Q-see system uses open source apps to control it?.

I'm thinking ill just skip the tree camera and stick with a 4 camera setup for inside my house but the cams will be pointing out the windows. One will be in the attic pointing outside into my back yard, and that one camera will need really good zoom, with the abillity to move around if possible.

Is there a 4-camera setup with cameras that can move around?. Or should I just get a 3 camera pack with 1 dedicated for the back yard?.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So this Q-see system uses open source apps to control it?.

I'm thinking ill just skip the tree camera and stick with a 4 camera setup for inside my house but the cams will be pointing out the windows. One will be in the attic pointing outside into my back yard, and that one camera will need really good zoom, with the abillity to move around if possible.

Is there a 4-camera setup with cameras that can move around?. Or should I just get a 3 camera pack with 1 dedicated for the back yard?.
The app is not open source but is free. Why do you need a ptz camera? Are you going to monitor it 24/7?

mikeA

n3wb
Reaction score
We have a vacation home in a fairly remote wild spot, so we have devised a number of surveillance solutions over the years. Sounds like you need something similar. Maybe our experience can help you.

We use IP cams both inside (eg, a PTZ on a window ledge, can be remotely controlled to look inside too) and bullet-style (under the eaves), and outside on the roof, both hardwire connected and wifi. We even have a $5 USB webcam on the desk next to the PC, facing out the window.

I believe the best brand is Foscam in all configurations (but not cheap). One amazingly reliable wifi Foscam bullet style has been outdoors for nearly 5 years now, but lacked night vision. We recently got a few Scricam bullets that have excellent night vision but their reach (distance and width of motion capture) is quite limited. Will not buy them again, cheap and unreliable.

Fortunately we have reasonably good wifi from a roof antenna and we leave a desktop computer inside connected 24/7. We use Netcam Watcher Pro to record motion and set the software to save the videos to a private Dropbox folder which is immediately auto-updated to my local computer folder no matter where I am in the world.

Netcam Watcher Pro is excellent and very reliable, does not offer all cam configs however, so we also use Security Monitor Pro, but it is not very reliable. It will save 500 photos of a blade of grass waving in the breeze, but not several people moving around a double-cab truck parked right under the cam (happened again this week).

We access the remote computer with GoToMyPC to check settings, adjust PTZs.

We also use small stand-alone game cams way down the drive at the gate and also facing the house tucked obtrusively among bushes, rocks. Most take 6 or 8 D batts and last 8-12 months or more. Water tight, motion detect, night vision. Downside is you must physically open the cam to extract the sandisk (32 to 64GB is sufficient) to view the shots. We get some amazing game shots with these however, as well as excellent shots of vehicles and their license plates. There are more expensive ones with wifi, but we have not bothered with those.

Cheers
Mike

PS: I happened on this forum while searching for better video security software. I think I found it... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We have a vacation home in a fairly remote wild spot, so we have devised a number of surveillance solutions over the years. Sounds like you need something similar. Maybe our experience can help you.

We use IP cams both inside (eg, a PTZ on a window ledge, can be remotely controlled to look inside too) and bullet-style (under the eaves), and outside on the roof, both hardwire connected and wifi. We even have a $5 USB webcam on the desk next to the PC, facing out the window.

I believe the best brand is Foscam in all configurations (but not cheap). One amazingly reliable wifi Foscam bullet style has been outdoors for nearly 5 years now, but lacked night vision. We recently got a few Scricam bullets that have excellent night vision but their reach (distance and width of motion capture) is quite limited. Will not buy them again, cheap and unreliable.

Fortunately we have reasonably good wifi from a roof antenna and we leave a desktop computer inside connected 24/7. We use Netcam Watcher Pro to record motion and set the software to save the videos to a private Dropbox folder which is immediately auto-updated to my local computer folder no matter where I am in the world.

Netcam Watcher Pro is excellent and very reliable, does not offer all cam configs however, so we also use Security Monitor Pro, but it is not very reliable. It will save 500 photos of a blade of grass waving in the breeze, but not several people moving around a double-cab truck parked right under the cam (happened again this week).

We access the remote computer with GoToMyPC to check settings, adjust PTZs.

We also use small stand-alone game cams way down the drive at the gate and also facing the house tucked obtrusively among bushes, rocks. Most take 6 or 8 D batts and last 8-12 months or more. Water tight, motion detect, night vision. Downside is you must physically open the cam to extract the sandisk (32 to 64GB is sufficient) to view the shots. We get some amazing game shots with these however, as well as excellent shots of vehicles and their license plates. There are more expensive ones with wifi, but we have not bothered with those.

Cheers
Mike

PS: I happened on this forum while searching for better video security software. I think I found it... :)
Welcome to the forum! There are way better options than both foscam and sricam...look at hikvision or dahua.... its like night and day.

mikeA

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you fenderman, will look into those for taking on next trip to the mountains... I checked them out on Amazon already.

Have already downloaded the trial version of Blue Iris (remotely on mountain house cam) and installed it. Highly intuitive interface, did not need to refer once to the manual, have setup 3 cams already. Interestingly BI will not recognize our trusty old Foscam model number A502W - not surprised - it must be over 99 years old in camera years (like dog years only shorter).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you fenderman, will look into those for taking on next trip to the mountains... I checked them out on Amazon already.

Have already downloaded the trial version of Blue Iris (remotely on mountain house cam) and installed it. Highly intuitive interface, did not need to refer once to the manual, have setup 3 cams already. Interestingly BI will not recognize our trusty old Foscam model number A502W - not surprised - it must be over 99 years old in camera years (like dog years only shorter).
Careful when ordering hikvision..understand that you are likely getting a china region camera via amazon (except for a few select sellers)..the new 4mp cams are great. The dahua 4mp look pretty good too and are cheaper...see the thread on them...
Blue iris can pull the stream from any camera as long as it provides a stream...you just need the correct url...first try all the foscams/wanscams/agasios from the dropdown and see if they work..
In bi, make sure to disable object detect/reject in the motion tab of each camera.