What is the best NVR?

Richard Aman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Question, What is the best NVR? have a client that wants to upgrade there existing camera system to something a little slicker. New cameras (POE) and recorder.

Background. I have used a few Speco NVR's and am not supper impressed with there function and interface. I like to Blue Iris setup, but I feel it's a little complicated for the end user. I like the Nest interface, but the camera connection is iffy and their install is sloppy.

I've only tried a few systems and that's why I'm asking you what's the best setup?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Question, What is the best NVR? have a client that wants to upgrade there existing camera system to something a little slicker. New cameras (POE) and recorder.

Background. I have used a few Speco NVR's and am not supper impressed with there function and interface. I like to Blue Iris setup, but I feel it's a little complicated for the end user. I like the Nest interface, but the camera connection is iffy and their install is sloppy.

I've only tried a few systems and that's why I'm asking you what's the best setup?
See network optix nxwitness sold in north america by dw spectrum as ipvms

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That seams a lot like Blue Iris and run on a Computer?
Yes, its a pc based vms. A pc based vms is no different than an NVR that runs its own OS. Almost any pc based vms is significantly better than a standalone NVR. Standalone NVR's are crap, as you have discovered.

Richard Aman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok. So a computer based system is preferred - has to be a pc? or Mac? HD limits the amount of playback kept? Are VMS limited by any camera selection? What Poe cameras should I be looking at?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. So a computer based system is preferred - has to be a pc? or Mac? HD limits the amount of playback kept? Are VMS limited by any camera selection? What Poe cameras should I be looking at?
There are vms that run on mac, but its insane to pay the apple tax for this. PC's use the same hd's as nvrs. You have much more flexibility in your camera selection when using a vms.
See wiki.