What is the best option

Ghebert86

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys! Newbie here... I’ve scoured through the forums and have found some excellent advise and I have narrowed down to a few options that I need help sorting through. As of now I have a house pre-wired cat 6 cable for 7 ip cameras with plans to add more later. I would like to use dome cameras for all. Initially I was looking at going 8mp but I am seeing in some say that they may not be worth the extra money. Night vision is important, would I be better off with 4mp exit turrets?

My desire is to have the ability to view the feed on multiple TVs throughout the house (living room, patio, bedroom and master bathroom). Would I be better off using a nvr and getting a hdmi splitter to send the signal to the different users or would it be better to build a computer/server and run blueiris? My living room and patio run off the same home theater receiver.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Ghebert

Mark, giomania has assembled some great notes from all of those who have shared their wisdom and experience here to help get you started, please check them out:
Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

Quick summary:
Look closely at the Blue Iris option - a large number of the members have been very happy going that route. This way with a good i5/i7 PC you can get a system with more horse power than what you typically will see in a NVR.

Also for low light cameras the 2MP Dahua OEM starlight series are very well liked here, so take a close look at them if you need low light cameras.

Review your desire for dome cameras outdoors - they are typically not preferred by members for outdoors. Again please do take a look closer at the notes - they will have more info on why.

Ghebert86

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! A lot of great info here! My roadblock of blue iris is the computer build part... I need someone to tell me what I need because I have a strong tendency to over “ingineer”. I want a solid system that has room for expansion. Preferablely rack mountable or a business size tower. I am by no means a computer guru but I’m learnable. Would like to stay in 1500 dollar range for computer build and cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks! A lot of great info here! My roadblock of blue iris is the computer build part... I need someone to tell me what I need because I have a strong tendency to over “ingineer”. I want a solid system that has room for expansion. Preferablely rack mountable or a business size tower. I am by no means a computer guru but I’m learnable. Would like to stay in 1500 dollar range for computer build and cameras.
Hi Ghebert86,

Look for threads on Blue Iris builds here. A lot of people recommend going with a used i5/i7 PC with a newer generation chip. Also take a look at the Dell outlet - as sometimes they have some good deals.

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As far as the difference between 4MP and 4K, if you plan on running a feed to a large 4K monitor, then I think you will like the difference in the 4K quality. However, if most of your TV's are 1080p, then 4MP is adequate. The 4K cameras just look better on a 4K monitor is all. The 4K's are sharper and have more pixels per inch so the prosecutable evidence would be better, but its not as staggering as one would think. You can check out our blog here to see some difference:
4K Ultra HD Security Cameras

As far as getting it to mulitple TV's, there are a few options. one is what you mentioned, just split out the image with HDMI splitters. Another option is to use a nearby PC and run the PC client software and run a cable from your PC. A third option is to simply get more NVR's (without hard drives) and use them for the sole purpose of pulling in your cameras and using the HDMI output to go to your TV. The HDMI splitter is going to be the least costly.

We should be able to get into your budget no problem. Feel free to give one of our tech's a shout, email, or feel free to continue replying to this thread if you need some more specifics