What is the Blue Iris upgrade policy?

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Once you buy, are you a lifetime user? Do you have to purchase upgrades? If so, only major revisions, while minor updates are free?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I BELIEVE that the policy is minor version are free and major versions cost. Therefore 4.1 up to 4.9 is free but 5.0 is going to cost you. This is what happened with 3.x up to 4.x. Just guessing brother.. @fenderman should know the answer.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not a bad deal, and the software seems extremely, almost crazily, low priced. I guess my concern would be that I start using it, get used to it, fall in love with it, then about version 8 or 12 the price jumps to $300 or something.

You know, they get you hooked on the cheap stuff, then hit you with the high price after you're hooked!

:friendly_wink:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As Q stated, major revisions require a new license. In the past, each version has been around for about 3 years. We are just closing in on one year since the V4 release. Also note that the developer offered half price licenses to v3 users when moving to v4. The price only went up 10 dollars from v3 to v4. Many other vms packages charge for updates after a few months. Then they charge you again if a new version is released.
Even if the price eventually went to 300 (i highly doubt it) it would still be a good deal, and you would have lost nothing since going with another vms will cost you more right now. The developers past actions of offering free updates and discounted upgrades as well as keeping the price super low indicate that you have nothing to worry about.